November 21, 2017, 05:36:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Street races? Celebrity races?  (Read 711 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: April 09, 2005, 03:45:36 PM »

I wrote in General Chit Chat about what I saw yesterday at the start of the Champ Car weekend in Long Beach, CA.  Among the items mentioned were GTA cars with their resemblance to NASCAR stock cars and a Pro Celebrity race.

Leads to these questions:

--Would you pay to attend a NASCAR Nextel Cup race on a temporary street course?  If so, in which city or cities?

--What do you think of a celebrity race on a NASCAR weekend?  Which celebrities would you like to see drive in such an event?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 01:22:56 AM »

No and No.
  Street courses in CART/Champ Car have always been boring. Trans Am races on street course = boring. Racing belongs on ovals and permanant road courses only.
 I do not give a rodents behind about celebrities.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
sally
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 11:31:05 AM »

Ditto.
Too many 'celebrities' already hanging around the tracks trying to  get face time because Nascar is 'cool'.

Sally
fendersforall
Sophmore

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 01:37:11 PM »

Never and no!!!
What i saw of that cart race was miserably boring......
And the only race I would want to see celebrities in is maybe a demo derby...

nny mike
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 04:32:01 PM »

OK, so maybe the idea shouldn't spread into NASCAR based on your widespread opposition.  But I'm curious to see it.  Besides, if Brian France stays in power, we'll probably get it anyway.

If a street race happens, it would most likely be in Houston or Denver because they are far enough away from the current tracks.  Long Beach would be an ideal starting point, but there are already two races in nearby Fontana.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 05:28:39 PM »

There's speculation that Nascar could use the road course in Vancouver, thus giving them a road course in the northeast AND Canada at one blow.

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 09:41:22 PM »

Well, I kinda like road courses, so the answer to Q#1 is maybe, but the closer to home, the better.
 As to the celebrity question, no. forget about a celeb race.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 10:36:30 PM »

Celebrity race?  Haven't you noticed that we get one every nascar race?  It is the trend, baby.  Or dude.  Whatever DW's words are for the day.

I do love good road course racing but not with celebs.  The best roadcourse I ever saw was when the Olympic torch came within 2 blocks of my house on the curvy mountain road near my house and all the neighborhood stood along the side of the road, watched in awe and held their silence as we watched from the moment he came into sight until he rounded the bend and got out of sight.  Downtown about 6 miles away, people gathered and the local celebs handed the torch off about 6 times to different runners and that was not near the great experience of just seeing a runner on a lonely county road with locals standing at attention and just being happy to experience the feeling.

Sorry for getting off the subject of Nascar.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 05:02:05 PM »

Just in case there are some who do not know.... a road course is a permanant course i.e. Watkins Glen and Sear Point. A street course is set up for the race and taken down after, such as Long Beach and St Petersburg, Fl.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: