November 24, 2017, 07:23:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey, Old Hot Rodder  (Read 991 times)
Vivian
« on: April 01, 2004, 09:47:20 PM »

Just wanted to let you know that I did read the article by Monte Dutton and it was a great article.  Like a lot of others sometimes, I just check the board briefly on a daily basis and don't always post every day due to work commitments, etc.  And just so people know they are not being ignored because some of us don't always respond to the posts even though they are good posts, it does not mean we don't appreciate them.  I don't mean to sound smart mouth or anything like that; but my favorite thing about this forum is that we are able to come and go and if we are not all on at once having some sort of back & forth I hope everyone can feel comfortable with each other and know that everyone's opinion is welcome and if we happen to catch each other on line at the same time, that is okay too.  That being said, catch you later.   :wink:
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 11:32:16 PM »

I can dig that, Vivian. And I can see how I might have offended someone with my earlier post.
  My intent was to say that Mr. Dutton's article discusses a very important subject, one which is dramatically affecting our sport. I was hoping to see more discussion on this subject.
   For instance, many folks seem to think that the expansion of Nascar into more and bigger markets is a good thing. More people equals more
money, equals better sport, etc. I happen to disagree. These are the kind of issues which need to be discussed, I think.
   See ya,  Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 03:12:35 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
 My intent was to say that Mr. Dutton's article discusses a very important subject, one which is dramatically affecting our sport. I was hoping to see more discussion on this subject.
   For instance, many folks seem to think that the expansion of Nascar into more and bigger markets is a good thing. More people equals more
money, equals better sport, etc. I happen to disagree. These are the kind of issues which need to be discussed, I think.

First off, I think everybody is just being a little quieter this week than usual.  Probably they all have the racing blues after a less than stellar season so far.

But on the issue Dick raises on the expansion into "new markets," I agree it's not a good thing.  I don't begruge folks in other parts of the country having race tracks closer to home.  I really don't.  But the problem is that no one has built a decent new track.  I could probably accept losing places like North Wilkesboro, Rockingham, or Darlington IF we were getting tracks in other parts of the country that provided half the excitement those places have consistently provided over the years.  But we aren't.  NASCAR has totally lost sight of what attracts people to racing: competitive tracks, with side by side racing, rather than a place that only gives them a follow-the-leader parade.  Maybe the sponsors want corporate suites and other so-called amenities that these new tracks offer, but the average Joe fan could care less about that kind of stuf.  Yes, places like CA, Vegas, Kansas, etc. sell out, but only because people in those areas are so starved for racing.  The problem is, when they get there, they find all the flash and no substance to those races.  How long before the novelty wears off?  I've met people at every track on the east coast who come from every part of the country and Canada to see the great racing at places Richmond, Charlotte, Dover, AND Rockingham.  People that are still willing to travel across the country to see quality racing, rather than go to a boring track closer to home.  

Sorry to be so long-winded, but this is a subject close to my heart and I'm pretty passionate about it.  $$$ have replaced racing in ISC and NASCAR's eyes in the last 10 years.  Maybe the stockholders are delighted, but we're living proof that the fans aren't.  The drivers aren't happy, but they follow the party line when interviewed on TV.  What are they gonna do?  If they complain too stingently about going to new tracks, "big brother" is going to give them a lot of grief.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 03:21:11 PM »

You know what I think is really sad? I'm not sure that the current leadership, Brian et al, even begins to understand what you are saying, Cheryl. I just don't think he gets it.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 09:31:59 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
I just don't think he gets it.

That is the shortest, yet most accurate and descriptive "reason" that anyone can give for the ongoing freefall that NASCAR is experiencing.

I have a scientific question - at what point does a freefall become an implosion and will anybody be able to hear it over DW?

Lou

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 04:19:32 AM »

Or maybe DW will just implode the next time he utters "you know what?"   :lol:

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 04:30:57 AM »

Lou, now come on, you know that the implosion will be accompanied by DW yelling "B..B..B.." all the way to his souvenir trailer.  

And no, Brian France hasn't a clue as to what made Nascar great.  He's convinced everyone there that HIS was is the NEW way to do business.  He's third generation, and it looks as if he's going to prove the rule that the third generation loses the $$$.
Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: