November 24, 2017, 10:35:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What if the Pope dies...  (Read 712 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: April 02, 2005, 07:14:36 PM »

Everyone now knows that Pope John Paul II is in grave condition and could easily die at any moment.

What if word of his passing comes during either today's Busch Series Sharpie Professional 250 or Sunday's Food City 500, both on Fox?

The easy answer is that the race would disappear from screens immediately.  Fox will join the rest of the world media community in comprehensive coverage.  Fox would switch race coverage to FX, but it would take some minutes and reduce the potential audience by millions.

The question that cannot be answered now is how race fans, known for their loyalty and dedication, would take such a development, which would be unprecedented.  Yes, NBC switched coverage of the 2001 UAW-GM Quality 500 from Charlotte to TNT, but that was just before race time.

Remember also that a Boston man is in a federal prison for repeated harassing e-mails to Fox after its affiliate there, WFXT, opted to air a Boston Red Sox game instead of the 2002 California 500.  (WFXT no longer airs Red Sox games.)  How bad would it get if dozens, or even hundreds, of fans had the same idea?

I'll have more to say about the Pope's legacy later in General Chit Chat.

P.S. Italian soccer has cancelled all games this weekend, even before the Pope's death.  Interesting.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 09:18:09 PM »

No desmond that actually occured during the middle of that fall charlotte 2001 race during a full course caution.

They did say it would switch to fx but right now they are showing a movie.

But then again the race is in a rain delay and it looks sort of bleak but they should have a thing going across bottom or top of screen.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 12:08:04 AM »

Bryan, I'm not clear.  I thought NBC made the decision before the race started.  I do know that all networks broke in that day (Oct. 7, 2001) at 9:30 a.m. Pacific time (11:30 a.m. where you are in Illinois) and the UAW-GM Quality 500 started a half hour later.

Maybe Cheryl or someone else can clarify this.  I still think I'm right.

By the way, do you think the move to FX when the race finally happens (whether Saturday evening or Monday) was due more to the news or to rain?  I checked KTTV, Channel 11, my local affiliate, and it wasn't airing news at all.  First it was a garden show, then an infomercial.

ABC removed the soccer game and put in on ESPN, but returned to regular shows at 2 p.m. PT.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 12:12:54 AM »

I think the move to fx was a combination of both news and the rain.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 01:50:18 AM »

Well, then, Bryan.  It could also have been a ploy to have everyone switch over to the Fox News Channel!  :evil:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: