November 19, 2017, 08:47:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Great Article about MRN vs Fox  (Read 1090 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 01, 2004, 08:49:22 PM »

This lady really tells it like it is in an article from the Inside Groove:

http://www.theinsidegroove.com/news/article.php?id=3687

I just wish we could get MRN where we live!  

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 12:18:45 AM »

Cheryl,

Here in southern California, we are more fortunate on radio coverage, but not by much.

The local MRN/PRN affiliate is AM 1540 The Ticket, KMPC.  It aired the first five races this year, but has dropped the last two because they aired at the same time as NCAA basketball.  It returns this week, but the station will once again drop racing in favor of the L.A. Galaxy soccer team during the Saturday night races, and may not even air the "Chase for the Championship" because of the NFL.  (It was the local affiliate for the San Diego Chargers last season; no word on the coming season.)

I estimated that, for about 15 races, the only choice is TV.  At least NBC will air most of the races not on local radio.

Hang in there.  Maybe one of the local stations in Maryland (Baltimore?) will be interested enough to add NASCAR on radio.

P.S. My fan fiction web site has an "announcement" about a stunt driving scene that would be scheduled for next week in Charlotte.  Take a look at the drivers who would be participating--if only it were real.  To find the announcement, scroll down to the "Rebel Movie Page."

Happy April Fools Day!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 03:16:40 PM »

Cheryl, our radio coverage comes and goes too. I was once listening to a race on the way home from Cleveland, on a Cleveland station, and they switched to some other programming with about 20 laps to go. Honest!
   My XM radio has solved that problem.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 09:43:32 PM »

I don't think that elevating radio to such a high level is the wise thing to do. Because you the listener cannot see what they are describing, radio has a tendency to exaggerate the events occurring on track - their own way of making the race into a "show".

Having been to hundred of races, I cannot tell you the number of times I have sat there listening to MRN or PRN and could look at the whole track action with my bare eyes and wonder to myself - "What the heck are they talking about? That [insert exciting event being described by radio here] isn't what happened!"

They do tend to take their fair share of commercials as well.

I'm not saying that watching the TV and listening to the radio is a bad thing, just keep in mind that what you don't see may be what you get :-)

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 03:49:51 PM »

Lou, I reckon you are correct. Nothing like being there in person.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: