November 24, 2017, 02:49:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday's Race  (Read 1294 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: March 21, 2005, 11:12:55 PM »

Lou and I were away from home most of yesterday and just got back this afternoon.  We drove up to Johnstown, PA for a concert for a Pittsburgh rock group, The Clarks, who are sponsoring one of the Hooters' Cup cars.  (Great music that appeals to old and young BTW.)

But because of this, we didn't "hear" much of the race broadcast.  I watched most of it on a big screen TV at the bar while the guys were setting up for the band and the band was rehearsing.  Needless to say, the music was a nice change of pace from the audio on the Fox broadcasts.   Cheesy   I'll talk more about my impressions of the broadcast in another thread.  What I want to talk about here was the race itself and the fabulous racing we saw in all three divisions at Atlanta this weekend.

First off, I think Atlanta has become my favorite track to watch races on TV.  Over the last five years we've seen some exciting and close finishes such as yesterday's (and Friday nights) in almost every race.  Starting with the race Dale Earnhardt won there in 2000.  Then Harvick over Gordon in 2001.  Although last year's spring race didn't have a close finish, that is one of the few in my recent memories.  

Yesterday's race may have seemed long and monotonous to some, but I loved it!  Yes, Jimmie Johnson and Greg Biffle traded the lead and dominated most of the race, but it was clear they were just toying with each other and positioning themselves for the end of the race.  This kind of strategy appeals to me and is one reason I love this track, along with another favorite track, Charlotte.  These tracks produce races requiring endurance and strategy.  Carl Edwards was there all day in the top five, but waited until it really counted and pounced.  Whether you like him or not, the statistics show Jimmie Johnson is probably the most successful driver over the last three years.  For a mere rookie to beat him was especially impressive to me.

As my husband once said, first time winners are the best!  I don't think I've ever not been excited to watch a first time winner on TV or in person at the track.  I even cheered when Jimmy Spencer got his first win in 1994, even though he beat one of my favorites.  I was fortunate enough to be at Charlotte to see Gordon's first win and Bobby Labonte's the next year.  Also Matt Kenseth and Jamie McMurray (all of which coincidentially happened at Charlotte).  I was also at Martinsville when Ricky Craven FINALLY won a Winston Cup race by beating one of the best, Dale Jarrett, coming out of turn four.  That was truly awesome to witness after the long struggle Ricky had the years before that.  

But Edwards win was one that is almost universarlly celebrated among race fans.  It gives us all hope that there is some competition still left in NASCAR.  It's an example of why all us old-timers stick around despite what might well be 35 boring finishes the rest of the year.  Now, don't get me wrong, in no way is "all forgiven" when it comes to NASCAR and ISC and the boneheaded decisiions they've been making over the last two years.  

Trust me, the irony that such a drammatic and popular victory should come at a track owned by their arch-rival, Bruton Smith, is part of my glee at yesterday's finish.  Along with the fact that Atlanta stands as tribute to why those of us curmudgeon's bemoan the loss of so many traditonal and competitive venues that just happen to be in the south.

Anyway, I don't mean to ramble on.  I really don't.  Just wanted share with everyone that this weekend reminded me of what I love about NASCAR and hope that the fans can be treated to more weekend's like this.  Since we didn't even have any first-time winners in 2004, I just hope we don't have to wait over a year for another magical moment like yesterday.  

Your mileage may vary...We return you to your normal broadcast now...
 :wink:
Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 11:34:58 PM »

Cheryl, I am a Roushie, as you know. But doggone it that was a fun finish. I was excited. And I agree that the ist time wins are special. I still remember Jeff Burton's. Matt K.'s (at Charlotte) , Kurt's and Biffles, as well as many others.
 Yep, this weekend does give us reason for hope. What a rivalry the Hendrick/Roush teams have. W/out that rivalry and competition, what fun is there? Cheesy

BTW Where are the helmets I worked so hard for??(sob, sob) Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 11:41:09 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"

Oh!  Lou and I forgot to mention that yesterday.  They seem to have disappeared with the web site problems on Saturday.  Lou assure me everyone's "rank" is still intact, he just needs to get the icon for the helmets back on here.  Not to worry!  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 11:44:57 PM »

That is OK, Cheyl. I just had to pull your chain a little. :lol:

William James
sally
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 12:10:04 AM »

Carl is such a breath of fresh air!  What a nice kid.  I was interested to read on Yahoo sports that Biffle wasn't exactly waxing ecstatic over losing to Carl after leading so much of the race.  And they also said the silence from Mark Martin (who Carl idolizes)  was "deafening".  Too bad. the kid drove his a--- off for that win.  And the geeks on Fox STILL refer to Atlanta as the 'first of the cookie-cutters'.  Idiots.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 01:08:05 AM »

Quote from: "sally"
 I was interested to read on Yahoo sports that Biffle wasn't exactly waxing ecstatic over losing to Carl after leading so much of the race.

They said on XM that Biffle had his spotter ask Carl's to let him by in the waning laps of the race.  Glad Carl ignored that request.   : :lol:
But seriously, it's the "team tactics" that Roush drivers did a few years ago that made me dislike them so much.  Glad to hear Carl didn't cave into the pressure from a more "tenured" driver yesterday.  

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 02:41:52 AM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
for a Pittsburgh rock group, The Clarks
Cheryl

Hmmmmm? Named after Pittsburgh's Clark Bar candy bar???

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 08:37:34 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"

Well, the helmets are back by popular demand...

unfortunately, the avatars you may have used are gone... can't seem to find them anywhere either so you'll have to re-load them...

sorry...

hackers still suck....
 :evil:

Update - 5:57pm - I found the missing avatars and put them back in place!

But hackers still suck...
Lou

sally
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 12:21:36 AM »

Ahhh.  The resourceful Lou rides to the rescue!

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 05:19:46 PM »

Lou, you are the greatest. I just love having the little blue helmets back.
 :lol:  :lol:

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 10:42:24 PM »

If you find a web site for the Clarks, please put up a link to it, either on Speedcouch or on USARFans.com.  Sounds like a great concept, especially with all the bad music that's out there.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 01:00:44 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
If you find a web site for the Clarks, please put up a link to it, either on Speedcouch or on USARFans.com.  Sounds like a great concept, especially with all the bad music that's out there.

I meant to post this earlier when I mentioned the band and forgot.  Sorry!

http://www.clarksonline.com/

I also forgot to mention how appropriate the title of their latest album is:  Fast Moving Cars.  Very appropriate to promote on the hood of a race car, huh?   :wink: Their driver is Winber, PA native, Robby Marhefka (#85) who is a really down to earth and nice guy too.  He's been competing part-time in the Northern division of the Hooters series, but may get an opportunity to compete in all the Northern races this season.

Also, SPEED channel actually played a clip from a Clarks's song at the end of the 24 Hours of Daytona back in February.  It's called Hell on Wheels.  Again, pretty cool and appropriate.  

You can listen to clips to many of their songs on their website to see if you like their music.  The lead singer has a really good voice!  

Cheryl
james
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 03:00:55 AM »

Quote from: "sally"
Carl is such a breath of fresh air!  What a nice kid.  I was interested to read on Yahoo sports that Biffle wasn't exactly waxing ecstatic over losing to Carl after leading so much of the race.  And they also said the silence from Mark Martin (who Carl idolizes)  was "deafening".  Too bad. the kid drove his a--- off for that win.  And the geeks on Fox STILL refer to Atlanta as the 'first of the cookie-cutters'.  Idiots.

Sally
I'm surprised at Mark Sad
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 05:02:41 PM »

Sally and James, see the "salute" post elsewhere on the site.  Martin did react--and react well--to Edwards' victories.

BTW, one more post to "ballot stuffer" status!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: