November 21, 2017, 01:20:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Much longer cautions  (Read 791 times)
Vivian
« on: March 29, 2004, 09:56:17 PM »

that we used to get.  I can't understand why Nascar is taking so long to bring the green back out.  Last weekend and now this weekend I feel they drastically changed what could have been more exciting finishes if there had been more green laps of racing at the end.  Of course yesterday Rusty said he had power steering problems and it may not have made a difference but I felt that they could have gone back to green with about 5 or 6 laps to go as they had the field sorted out at that time.  Anyone else have any opinion on this?
sally
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 03:14:49 AM »

Viv, it's my contention that Nascar has insidiously introduces the "TV time out", to achieve parity with football.  All those extended caution flag laps allow TV LOTS of time to run even MORE ads, without missing either pit stops or green flag racing.  Either that, or the Keystone Kops are in charge of sorting out the field after a caution.  Which may be the truth!  It robs all of us of who knows how many laps of green flag racing, just so TV can get their licks in.  I bet they think we don't notice. :?
rcairo1460
Sophmore

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 02:05:57 PM »

Whatever happened to that genius thought & I thought it was to keep the race in the lower right hand corner as the commercials played??...That to me would be perfect, not missing a minute of any race.....Because every time they go to a commercial, boom..........
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 02:11:44 PM »

Quote from: "rcairo1460"
Whatever happened to that genius thought & I thought it was to keep the race in the lower right hand corner as the commercials played??...That to me would be perfect, not missing a minute of any race.....Because every time they go to a commercial, boom..........

That was something NBC or TBS tried the year before the switchover to Fox and NBC, I believe.  What I've read was that the sponsors had to agree to that method of split-screen, and apparently the current sponsors wouldn't agree to it.  I can believe that; they don't want their ads to be subordinated to the race.  I don't like that, but I can understand where they are coming from.  It all boils down to the fact Fox and NBC NASCAR way too much for the TV rights to NASCAR and now, they feel they must sell so much commercial time to get a return on their investment.  Again, I understand this concept, but to me, they should've planned ahead and not bid so high for the rights to the races.  Rather than showing the viewers races, they are only providing us with a highlight show these days.

Cheryl
rcairo1460
Sophmore

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 02:19:49 PM »

I hear ya & I understand - but what about this concept - split screen & if its a Lowe's commercial track the Lowe's car until they bet back???...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: