November 18, 2017, 08:51:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "No Breaks" is Back, BUT  (Read 1331 times)
jw
Wiley Veteran

« on: February 25, 2005, 02:34:58 AM »

In Wednesday's USA Today, Rudy Martkze mentions that
the IRL races on March 6(ESPN) & March 19(ABC), there will be splitscreens of the race & commericals during network breaks of these
2 races.  The column does not mention if this will continue after March 19.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 04:55:41 PM »

This is interesting, if for no other reason except to underscore the nonstop nature of auto racing.

I would like to see any of the TV partners continue the display of the running ticker during commercials of the NASCAR races.  Something like that happens on CNBC during trading on Wall Street.

The only question I have is how advertisers will be satisfied under the new format.  After all, the ads are not on a full screen, and some companies, no doubt, insist on it.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 02:55:39 AM »

Did anyone watch? I taped it and found that I did not fast forward the commercials, matter of fact I even watched some instead of the race. One way to make this work is to not show the same commercial every other break. The announcers gave credit to the sponsors after each break thanking them for allowing the experiment to happen.
 ESPN2 broadcast the race commercial free ( I believe) showing only camera views from 7 in car cams and using a different broadcast crew in the booth than ESPN original.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
sally
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 03:51:56 AM »

please, Please, PLEASE, let ESPN get half the seaon.

Sally
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 04:12:43 AM »

If ESPN can cover Nascar like they do IRL fine, but I'm afraid Fox and NBC set the standards (low) and ESPN may have to follow to keep the new fans happy. Another bad thing is the "ESPN attitude" ( I think this is a Phil Mushnick from the NY Post term). They have managed to keep it out of the "pointy car" (to quote someone here) broadcasts.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 09:31:27 AM »

yeah, the irl simulcast was interesting. this experiment is definitely something nascar needs to do. if they can't split-screen it, putting the ticker at the bottom of the screen is a good idea. if cnbc doesn't mind letting viewers looking at the ticker instead of the commercials, then there's no reason why it cannot be arranged.

as far as abc/espn going for nascar, i think nbc's contract ends after '06, so if that's the case, we should know pretty soon which network gets the second half. fox doesn't end until 2008. when fox and nbc picked up the contract in 2001, they announced it in 1999, so we may know later this year.

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 02:47:47 PM »

Did anyone else notice no paul page or jack arute maybe espn wanted someone newer or younger to announce the races.

Or maybe they went to do something else or maybe espn cut them loose like they did bob jenkins.

I finally recognized the voice of the announcer from yesterdays irl race on the espn side it was todd harris he did the pits last year for their races.

Yes i thought the onboard camera thing on espn 2 was neat.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 04:35:16 PM »

The ESPN2 simulcast did break away for commercials.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 09:29:22 PM »

I tuned to ESPN about 15 minutes before the Busch race was scheduled to start and all I saw was a split scree with the larger one being from a car and the smaller one showing some action on the track and that one crash.  To me it was not worth watching at that point.  I do not like the in car cameras.  Maybe the rest of the broadcast was different but for that 15 minutes, it was not worth watching to me.  JMO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: