November 18, 2017, 10:11:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike Mulhern on 2006 Race Schedules  (Read 1588 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: March 07, 2005, 04:12:15 PM »

It's certainly becoming more and more clear that this definitely isn't my NASCAR anymore!  I have no problem with adding a race in Canada, but good grief, there are so many GOOD ovals there, why go to yet another boring road course?  Here's a link to an article that contains Mike Mulhern's speculation on next year's schedule.  Ugh!  And I'm sorry, but I'd take two Pocono races over road courses any day...

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031781423986&path=!sports!autoracing&s=1037645509202

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 09:19:00 PM »

There is no doubt that Cup will be down there next as well as in Canada.  It is the trend now.
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 10:08:11 PM »

Since Cheryl mentioned her feelings on road racing I decided to come back and mention mine in this thread.

I kind of like road courses.  It does take a lot of skill and the one yesterday was a good one, imo.  I don't know if it is because I grew up driving a stick shift and I lived in the mountains and have driven many 2 lane curvy mountain roads and have done a lot of up as well as down shifting in my driving life, and although I can't really relate to the racing part of it, I can relate to the skill.  Being the other half of an auto repair person, I have seen first hand how transmissions, motors, tires and brakes are ruined by the incorrect type of driving done on mountainous roads so can even imagine how they abuse the tires and car in general by pushing it to the limit on a road course.  It takes much skill to keep everything in working order and in keeping it safe.  The competition, passing and even the focus of road racers is tremendous.  If one has ever driven a stick shift vehicle on curvy mountain roads and throroughly enjoyed it, they must love road courses.  Or at least they must respect the skill it takes to drive one and to race one.

BTW, I think everyone on the forum knows I am 60 years old and I have done a lot in my time.  All experiences are special.  At this time I need to correct the tv broadcast crew on something.  They were talking about how the parking lots in the 80's began a sport for local competitors ( forgot what they called it specifically), but it did not begin in the 80's.  It was popular in the 60's back in Florida.  We had local sports car clubs who would use parking lots with cones set up for the course on Sunday afternoons for that type of racing and it was called a gymkhana event.  I drove in one of them once.  Afterwards we would all have a barbecue and present trophies.  Fun days.
sally
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 10:17:55 PM »

Is there really much difference between Pocono and a road course?  I think Pocono is at least as boring as a road course.  Now, if they ditched one of the MIS dates, I wouldn't cry, either.

sally
shawn
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 02:23:08 AM »

I to enjoy road courses, of course the 1st race of any kind I ever went to was a road course race Smiley

I would also watch a road course race, then a race on one those cookie cutter tracks

ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 07:01:30 PM »

cheryl i fully agree with you the road races are extremely boring.if nascar goes to canada please go to an oval.also don't get rid of a pocono race because i love pocono a lot. Cheesy  Cheesy
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 07:57:49 PM »

Toto i don't think were in kansas anymore.
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 11:28:27 PM »

Being a Canadian, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but we do not have any ovals that will seat any more than 10 or 15 thousand at the most that I know of.  My fellow Canadians can correct me about this.  I'm not even sure if our largest track is a 1/2 mile.   The only large scale races (open wheel) to ever take place here have been (West to East) Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, and they are all road courses.  Montreal is the only permanent race track while Vancouver and Toronto are temporary courses.

From where I live, it's easier to go to New Hampshire than Montreal, especially with the language police around. :lol:

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 12:35:10 AM »

On TV, I'm not sure, but in person, my experience at Mid Ohio for non Nascar events tells me that I would rather watch a road course race, in person. You can move around and get different perspectives. I've always enjoyed doing that at Mid Ohio, and also at Daytona for the Rolex.

Besides, Vivian, you are not so old, compared to me, and you are correct about the "gymkana" races, which may even date back to the early 50's. Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 01:32:34 PM »

Quote from: "John"
Being a Canadian, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but we do not have any ovals that will seat any more than 10 or 15 thousand at the most that I know of.  My fellow Canadians can correct me about this.  I'm not even sure if our largest track is a 1/2 mile.

What's the matter with 1/2 miles?  They're the best and I have no problem with only 10-15 thousand people.   :lol:   But then, I enjoy good racing and a reasonably-sized crowd and am not just in it to make a buck like NA$CAR.

Cheryl
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 03:28:19 PM »

Nothing wrong with 1/2 miles, I just don't know if we have any that big.  In Atlantic Canada, we have 1/4 and 1/3 milers.  With 43 cars, by the time they drop the green flag, half the field would be lapped! :lol:

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 03:35:20 PM »

Nothing wrong with 1/2 miles, I just don't know if we have any that big.  In Atlantic Canada, we have 1/4 and 1/3 milers.  With 43 cars, by the time they drop the green flag, half the field would be lapped! :lol:

I know Hooters raced at Cayuga a couple of times, but I don't remember how big it was.  They usually try to stick to 1/2 miles, but I'm sure some are closer to 3/8s or something.  Have you ever been there?

Cheryl
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 06:48:02 PM »

I know Hooters raced at Cayuga a couple of times, but I don't remember how big it was.  They usually try to stick to 1/2 miles, but I'm sure some are closer to 3/8s or something.  Have you ever been there?

No.  I think Cayuga is in Calgary.  If that's the case, for me to go there would be the same as you going to Las Vegas.  In fact, it would be cheaper for me to fly to Las Vegas than it would to go to Calgary.  Flying in Canada is more expensive than flying from here to the US.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 07:36:53 PM »

No.  I think Cayuga is in Calgary.  If that's the case, for me to go there would be the same as you going to Las Vegas.  In fact, it would be cheaper for me to fly to Las Vegas than it would to go to Calgary.  Flying in Canada is more expensive than flying from here to the US.

I have no idea where Calgary is (that's a town right, not a province?).  But the track was located in a town called Nell's Corner, which was Ontario I believe.  Lou and I looked it up on the map when Hooters last raced there.  It's not that far from NY as I recall.  I have no idea which province you live in, but for some reason think it's Ontario.   I didn't think Ontario was that large that you have to fly to get places.   :wink:  

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 08:43:26 PM »

i think nascar races in canada would stink because i'd never be able to travel to any of them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: