November 24, 2017, 10:35:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rate the Busch Race Broadcast from Mexico City  (Read 1471 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: March 06, 2005, 03:16:38 PM »

Tell us how you thought Fox did on the broadcast from Mexico City.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 02:39:15 AM »

I think they did a good job. They showed more than the usual top 5 and did not focus endlessly on the leader. I'm happy. More coverage like this please.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
sally
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 03:49:35 AM »

The highlight of the race was NOT having to hear the 3 B's.  Amen.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 01:51:37 PM »

I only watched the race off and on as I thought it was a total snorefest (but my comments on the quality of racing are posted elsewhere).  I did tune into MRN a few times during the numerous commercials on Fox.  They, at least, told us that David Green was behind the wall for a long time.  Whereas, Fox only told us (much later) when he came back on the track "after a lengthy stay in the garage."  We also never heard about many other Busch regulars such as Jason Keller, Ashton Lewis, etc., so to me, they concentrated way too much on the leaders and the Mexican drivers.  

It was nice that they talked to Rambo, the crew chief for Boris Said who was upset when his driver got penalized on pit road and couldn't understand why.  Then Fox showed us some replays of two other cars entering pit road and when the caution came out according to NASCAR.

I found it very tedious that every time they returned from commercial, they had to remind us that this was the first points-paying race outside the US.  I understand that NASCAR probably insisted they keep telling us that, but the redundancy just about drove me up the wall.  I found more enjoyment painting my kitchen during the broadcast.  

Also, though the race was on Fox, not only was it not HD or widescreen, the quality of the picture and sound was pretty bad from what I watched.  I guess they couldn't afford to take the best quality cameras and sound stuff all that way.  

Oh yeah, I also found it particularly annoying that Fox had to keep comparing the popularity of Adrian Fernandez to Earnhardt, Jr.  Can't we get a rest from TV's obsession with Junior even on off weekends for Cup and when he's not even in the country where they are racing?

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 02:42:46 PM »

Didn't they get the pictures or feed of that race from 1 of the mexican tv stations and fox just took a few announcers and cameras with em?

Maybe that's why things were different with the race broadcast this week cheryl.

Did anyone on this message board seem to notice that fox were in commercial a lot.

Also did anyone notice how the cautions would just drag on forever that's 1 of the bad things about road courses or big tracks.

Did anyone else think at different times during that race that  it looked like it was going to pour down rain?

At several different times to me the skies looked dark and it looked like it was going to rain.

I think i just watched part of this race though as i watched the irl race and something else can't remember what though.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 04:40:47 PM »

Look on the bright side, Cheryl.  Darrell Waltrip was laid low by a raspy voice, and Chris Myers and Jeanne Zelasko were nowhere to be found.

If only this was true every week!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 05:04:20 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Look on the bright side, Cheryl.  Darrell Waltrip was laid low by a raspy voice

Didn't seem to stop him from non-stop talking!   :roll:

I did think Matt Yocum and Jeff Hammond did an excellent job being the only pit reports and I forgot to mention that earlier.  Less can be better...

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 06:45:37 PM »

Did anyone else notice that the pit reporters weren't wearing fire suits?  I thought that was a requirement from Nascar?

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 09:49:09 PM »

Actually, for once I thought this was a good broadcast.  They showed racing all through the pack.  I am sure that had a lot to do with the drivers from the host country being throughout the pack.  I felt they were very considerate and almost humble toward the host country.  They seemed to show respect for the people down there and did not make any disparaging remarks about anything down there.  They were redundant in the fact that they kept comparing Adrian to Jr.  They did fail to mention several of the Busch drivers and did not seem to focus on them too much at all.  At times they seemed to be tentative in what they should or shouldn't say but that was okay.  I liked the way they did the pre race ceremonies that included the host country's pre race show with their anthem and flag unfurling.  I couldn't understand it but found it to be quite interesting.  I felt good that all the people in attendance were getting to see and attend something that so many Americans take for granted.  I cannot begin to imagine some of their feelings.  The broadcasters seemed to try really hard to keep their focus on the race at hand most of the time.  From my point of view, I would say they did a really good job even with the omission of comments about some of the drivers.  It had to be overwhelming for them.  Commercials were many, but I am learning to live with those as I can't change them and see no need to get myself stressed due to them.
alfers
Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 01:06:19 AM »

And here my wife and I, who sat through the whole race, thought it strange there were less commercials.  And the commercials they did show were of upcoming FOX and FX shows along with the usual NASCAR advertisements.  I saw few, if any, auto manufacturer commercials, phone service commercials, or any of the other high ticket items.  It's almost like NASCAR spent all their money trying to get as many drivers down there (I almost said Busch but had they been the only ones the field wouldn't have been filled).  How rare is it when we sit through most of the caution listening to the announcers carry on instead of going to commercial?
Again, the feed did come from a local Mexican station and that may be why the quality of the feed as well as the non-NASCAR commercials were in short supply.  
As far as I know, we didn't miss any of the "accidents" due to being away at commercial.  
I hate to admit it, it would be GREAT if that Mexican station would step in and provide the feed for all of NASCAR!
shawn
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 02:21:28 AM »

I thought they did a pretty good job.  Didn't keep track of who got mentioned and didn't, but I don't remember hearing anything about JJ Yelay taking over for Streame.  Didn't know about that till I read it this morning  

Commercial wise, I thought it was on par for FOX for the #.

ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 07:05:47 PM »

good broadcast fox with what they had to work with they did good work.the broadcast did end pretty abruptly i thought they could've stay onair until 6:30 pm to interview fernandez and boris said but overall good job by fox.
Vivian
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 10:18:09 PM »

Shawn, they did mention during the race that JJ was taking over for Stremme.  I think they mentioned it before and after it happened.
Showed Stremme sitting down and how sick he looked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: