November 22, 2017, 05:02:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why don't you just slap me?  (Read 588 times)
Smallblock bored
« on: February 24, 2005, 06:50:29 AM »

Well it would not make things any worse or better but it is always an option when it comes to things like "The boss" "A flat tire" "The dog got into the garbage". The list is endless when it comes to things where a good old slap in the face would do nothing but just seem to fit the scene. So, why not just slap Robby Gordon one for the heck of it. 50 grand for an intake manifold and a open hand full of 90 weight gear lube should do the trick I’d say. If you are not up to speed on the issue, Menards’ supplies engines to Robby and his race team. From what I gather from Robbys’ statement is that they had used Menards’ at the restrictor plate tracks last year in the Bucsh car. When Robby rolled through first inspections NASCAR popped him on an intake manifold that was not approved. Fox simply stated that he “changed engines” during the shootout coverage.  I believe it was stated that it was a “tricked out intake” somewhere. Menards’ puts its parts that are made in England on a Chevy block and then crates it off to Robbys’ shop. What the exact violation was who knows. To be honest with you I think Robby Gordon should have a better and more up to date web page than what is offered at Robbygordon.com. I’m a big critic of just about everything and would like to see something on what went wrong. Robby got an engine for the car through DEI who had a car piloted by Truex that had Menards’ as a sponsor so there seemed to be a nice circle of friends there. Did Robby have something for them or was it a blunder who knows. There is always a big fine page at the end of Daytona every year but I wonder if it was a new intake from the one that was on the car for the open tests before things got going.
  Window net, Window net, there were a batch of those as well. It makes you wonder how a window net could not be standardized to a point by now, or how a team could have an expired inspection on the safety items. Just seems odd to me. Finally found an entry list for California. Hit a link on CATCHFENCE.COM, this took me to a page listed to be on NASCAR.COM. Seems strange that I could not find it on that site but the link on catch fence took me there somehow. As a leg up to those who might not use the site, Catch fence is a great site that is updated regularly and seems to always have the drivers previews of the upcoming races and press releases all in an orderly easy to read fashion that is a pleasure to surf through. I highly recommend it to any of the folks who know not of its existence. I think that the new tire, low spoiler, and impound rule will bring racing to a new level in the fact that there will be some cars that are fast off the get go and the races will have a sort of evolution to them as teams that are off, key the car in as the race goes on. It would be nice to see some new front runners week to week as the year goes on from some teams just hitting it right off the truck.
  There is one topic that I’ll share with you. It is born from the ashes of what was once a great mind but now has somehow turned onto itself to devote way too much time to conspiracy theories. Like traffic lights are ill timed on purpose to have cars that are stopped leave only to be stopped by the next light. This wastes fuel, lots of it. But it is planned this way to enlarge gasoline sales. But back to racing. Let’s say there are 45 cars trying to get into a race, 35 are grandfathered in and 10 are going for 8 spots. Since we now have an impound rule at I think most tracks is it? A team opts to put a qualifying setup in the car to beat out the other teams not in on points. By a “setup” I mean the lighter rockers the lighter crank the lighter fluids the lighter connecting rods, the whole nine yards (WW II pacific fighting cliché’ that was got from the ammo belt of a 50 caliber machine gun in planes…it was nine yards long. “gave him the whole nine yards”) but anyway what are the rules? Can a team pull this and rip the engine out before the race and just lose a few starting spots, Is there any stipulations to this? Is there time to do this? I wonder. What time do the teams get the car back anyway? Can this be done and if so will any teams try and pull it? Perhaps making a race and powdering and engine might seem fair to some folks. Going to California with an aikin in my heart seems fitting for those who do not make the show. I’m off to count the teams entered. Sorry about no paragraphs I copy pase word doc and get booted from this web connection that runs a tiny tiny little set of green and yellow and white wires. Still the dark ages and lovin it but get booted way too often to take the time to redo it right.
sally
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 12:59:56 PM »

I don't know how accurate it is, but Mike Mulhern said that Robby's intake manifold was polished...and thus illegal.  I haven't heard of any fine for Jeff Burton NOT being in single file when he got into Dale Jr. on pit road.

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 04:40:37 PM »

Sally, do you think Nascar is trying to tell Robby something? $50,000.00 and he didn't even make the race? Lord have Mercy!! :shock:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 06:33:21 PM »

Not only that, they fined his "owner" Jim Smith 25 owner points!!  Even tho he didn't make the race, he got points for trying to qualify!  Talk about insult to injury!  Guess they aren't thrilled with Menard getting into building Nascar engines?

sally
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 09:23:37 PM »

As I just stated in my post on yellow line thread, it depends on who you are as to how and if you get penalized.   :twisted:

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: