November 24, 2017, 04:42:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NASCAR Nation--A review  (Read 1176 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: February 22, 2005, 08:33:14 PM »

Last night, Speed Channel continued the devolution of NASCAR news and information programming with the premiere of NASCAR Nation.

First of all, the set resembles that of Entertainment Tonight more than that of a real newscast.  Ralph Sheheen and Krista Voda are decent, but everyone else is either untested (Courtney George, Michelle Fifer), awful (Connie LeGrand), or both (John Willenborg).

There were two news segments, but nothing of substance.  Here's the summary: NASCAR tore down some engines, caught some pit-road speeders, and gave out lots and lots of cash.  There was absolutely no talk of the controversial truck finish (Jimmy Spencer and Bobby Hamilton star in Blinded by the Light), or even an appearance by Larry McReynolds, who was a mainstay of Totally NASCAR every Monday.  Here's betting you won't see Jeff Hammond, John Andretti, or "Post-Race Inspection," either.

Brian France was interviewed by Ralph Sheheen, with a total of zero hard questions asked.

Finally, the Ricky Craven snowmobile event is fun and for charity, but Willenborg just saw it as an opportunity to stretch his fame and ride around like an idiot.  Nice!

After that, Totally NASCAR looks very, very good.

Tonight: a look at celebrities at the Daytona 500.  Let's just say that the "good old boys" have been replaced by the "glamour boys."  (Ashton Kutcher even complained that he couldn't dress up like a redneck!)

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 10:37:06 PM »

After tuning in for about 6 minutes, I decided it was not 'my thing' to watch.  Also got very turned off on Inside Cup.  Don't know if I will watch it again or not.
sally
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 12:29:07 AM »

Vivian,
  I have to confess that I barely made it past the 'music video' that started the show.  As soon as I heard they were going to 'interview' brian France, I decided to watch ANYTHING else.  It is n't a news show...it's a lifestyle
show.  In other words, little or nothing to do with racing.  And admit it...you didn't really expect the Baby Brian interview to be anything otther than another opportunity to pat him on the back and announce what a genius he is, did you?

Sally
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 02:07:59 AM »

I know this is a sexist comment, but I wonder how much Nascar knowledge the women on the show had before they were hired.  I bet it was looks first , screen presence second and auto racing knowledge last.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
sally
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 03:17:34 AM »

You really think racing knowlege was a consideration?

Sally
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 03:57:55 AM »

Oh no!!  :roll: I bet they don't even know Dale Jr had a famous father.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »

I recorded the show on Monday and got around to watching some of it last night to kill a little time before NCIS.  First off, it struck me as it was sort of a combination of Speed News and Totally NASCAR.  Especially since Ralph Sheheen and that woman with the long hair (Connie?) were from Speed News.  

If you could get past the intro and the stupid title, I didn't think the show was all bad.  The punk from that reality show was useless as was his bit on Ricky Craven's snowmobile race.  It seemed like it was more about the "reporter" than the event.  He must've said "I'm from California" about six times.  I sure hope they lose him soon, but I guess the producers think they need to have someone like that to appeal to the reality TV crowd.  But it turns off someone like me who has no use for those shows or the so-called "contestants" on them.  

I thought Ralph Sheheen and the new woman did a good job though.  I don't have a problem with the women on shows like this IF they at least sound like they know what they are talking about.  It's not quite the same as being in the trenches and being a pit reporter.  There, you DO have to know what is going on.  Neither of them flubbed up anything as far as I could see.  They definitely sounded more knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the subject matter than Chris Meyers ever has.  I also have never had a problem with Krista Voda.  

That said, the show did seem to be a little female heavy as Ralph was the lone man.  To me, that's just a little bit of over-compensation to offset a male-dominated sport.  

The bit with Baby Brian seemed like just a way to try and show us he was human and they sure didn't convince me.  Talk about a tight-ass.  Best line was something he said about "I know zero..." I know he was talking about driving or working on race cars, but if you took that out of context, it pretty much summed up his knowledge about the fans and the traditions of the sport.   :wink:

I didn't think the show was that terrible, but I doubt I will watch the show on a regular basis.  I don't watch any of these nightly shows every night ever since Fox forced RPM out of business.  I'm just stubborn that way.  Plus these days, you can get any real news off the internet long before these shows come on in the evening.

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 04:10:59 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"

The bit with Baby Brian seemed like just a way to try and show us he was human and they sure didn't convince me.  

Cheryl

Ummm , what did you tell me about name calling??? :?

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 04:44:11 PM »

Quote from: "drpep (brian)"
Quote from: "Cheryl"

The bit with Baby Brian seemed like just a way to try and show us he was human and they sure didn't convince me.  

Cheryl

Ummm , what did you tell me about name calling??? :?

True, true, Brian!  I'll try to restrain myself.  Of course he is the "baby" of the France family.   :wink:  But I'll try to monitor myself in the future.  

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 04:48:14 PM »

Cheesy

sally
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 03:13:08 AM »

Hey, are you trying to spoil ALL our fun?  If we can't dis Brian France and what he's doing to the sport formerly known as racing, what's the point?  I can see being hands off the drivers, but it seems to me that Brian France is fair game.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 05:10:48 PM »

The best thing that NASCAR Nation can do is move the news to the top and bottom of each hour, as Totally NASCAR did.  Even Entertainment Tonight starts with the top stories of the day, not another overblown feature like last night's "Home Base" from New York.

By the way, Michelle Fizer spoke of a "media blitz" for Jeff Gordon, but we only saw the appearance on Live with Regis & Kelly.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 05:21:20 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
The best thing that NASCAR Nation can do is move the news to the top and bottom of each hour, as Totally NASCAR did.  Even Entertainment Tonight starts with the top stories of the day, not another overblown feature like last night's "Home Base" from New York.

By the way, Michelle Fizer spoke of a "media blitz" for Jeff Gordon, but we only saw the appearance on Live with Regis & Kelly.

I can understand that the producers of this show probably spread the news around so the viewers will stay tuned in for the entire hour.  I don't necessarily agree with that, but I understand their motivations.  The one thing I forgot to mention was that I thought the clock on the left side showing you when certain things would be on was kinda silly.  It actuality, it defeats the purpose of my first point.  If you know such and such will be on at 7:41, wouldn't that encourage viewers to surf to other channels and come back just to see the stories they are interested in.  Guess everything on TV is directed at the short attention span crowd these days.

On the "media blitz"thing, they did menton Gordon was going to be on the Tonight Show too, so I guess that was part of it.  Though I don't really care about stuff like that myself.  It all seems silly since it has nothing to do with racing.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 01:09:51 AM »

OK.  It's 5 minutes into the "Nascar Nation" from Mexico City broadcast.  Cheryl convinced me to give the show another try.  Some dipstick pretty boy just interviewed Adrian Fernandez, and was amazed that he 'would be driving a Cup car this weekend.'  He doesn't know the difference between the Busch and Cup cars...and he got a job on television talking about Nascar racing.  This is the sort of thing that drives me NUTS!!  Again, the old saw,"Better to keep quiet and let people think you a fool than open your mouth and prove it."  This is the best quality talent (and I use the term loosely) that Fox could come up with?   ARRRRRGH.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 01:50:14 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
OK.  It's 5 minutes into the "Nascar Nation" from Mexico City broadcast.  Cheryl convinced me to give the show another try.  Some dipstick pretty boy just interviewed Adrian Fernandez, and was amazed that he 'would be driving a Cup car this weekend.'  He doesn't know the difference between the Busch and Cup cars...and he got a job on television talking about Nascar racing.

They said the first night of this show this guy is a reject from some reality show, the Apprentice.  If that's his only claim to fame, all I can say is that they obviously got him cheap.  Why do TV folks think they must appeal to the reality TV crowd by putting someone like this on a racing show?  Personally, I wouldn't even classify him as a pretty boy.  

Other than the gaff about Cup car which I caught too, the rest of last night's show was very good.  I recorded it so we could watch the "Behind the Wheel" segment and I enjoyed that as much as last week.  

I did make a joke to Lou at one point that Ralph has the three female reporters and maybe they could rename the show "Ralph's Angels," but we agreed that did have much of a ring to it.   :wink:

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: