November 22, 2017, 02:59:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40 races?  (Read 1178 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: March 24, 2004, 05:13:33 PM »

Just wanted you to know that Fox ratings were down 5.5 percent this year.  The nightmare continues :lol:

Also wanted to ask any of the users their opinions of the possible expansion to 40 races, which could lead to a return of ABC and ESPN to NASCAR coverage.  I understand that their broadcasts were well received and that many fans still miss them.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 05:29:43 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Just wanted you to know that Fox ratings were down 5.5 percent this year.  The nightmare continues :lol:

Also wanted to ask any of the users their opinions of the possible expansion to 40 races, which could lead to a return of ABC and ESPN to NASCAR coverage.  I understand that their broadcasts were well received and that many fans still miss them.

It's about time NASCAR and Fox shared the nightmare the fans have been living for the past three years.   :wink:

I would have no problem with adding races to the schedule.  Like most fans, I can't get enough of "good" racing.  The problem is that we aren't seeing much good racing these days.  And yes, it would be wonderful for ESPN to be back.  I'm not holding my breath for any of these things to happen though.

Sorry to be so negative this week, but the scarcity of good racing this year and the broadcasts in general have just got me feeling really down about the state of the sport lately.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 10:17:12 PM »

Desmond, I really don't know how I feel about 40 races.  I know I miss the season after the last race of the year but I also think the drivers and crews in particular need a period of rest.  Of course, if there were no testing then it could take a different turn.  IMO, Nascar racing has gone downhill some and at this time I am not even sure I will watch all of them this season.  I will tape them but may fast forward through a lot of them.
I personally will be surprised if they even run at Darlington after this year.  And after the safer walls and lights....what a tragedy.  Things are just changing with the new leadership and I think the way we have always seen Nascar action is a thing of the past.  I have been a fan since the late 50's and though I am into new technology, I think the roots of stock car racing is in serious danger of becoming obsolete, unfortunately.
sally
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 10:38:13 PM »

If Nascar does it the way Cal wells proposed it, I think it could work.  Reduce races to 2 day shows...practice and quals on Sat., lock the garage, race on Sunday.  The Winston is run midweek at Charlotte, doesn't have it's own weekend.  Cut testing dramatically.  Everywhere.  All the teams are on the same footing, helps 1 car teams out.  Eliminates 38 days at the track, add 4 2 day shows, and you only add 8 days, thus freeing up 26 days the guys can be home.  If it saves races at The Rock and Darlington, I'm all for it!

Does anyone else think the proposal to sell Darlinton and The Rock to SMI so they can cannabalize their race dates is a good way for ISC to eliminate both the tracks and let SMI take the blame?  And all this time I thought Brian France was the Village Idiot!
Sally
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 01:50:57 AM »

Cheryl, take a deep breath and exhale.  While things are uncertain right now, all we can do is wait and see what happens.  Things are definitely changing and there really is not anything we can do about it.  

Last year, I'd never thought the drivers from the 80's and 90's would be "forced out" of the Cup Series into other series or even retirement.  If you told me this time last year that Bill Elliott would not be racing a full season, I would have said you were crazy.  They way he finished off last year, I wanted him to run a full one this year.  Instead, he's out and Kasey is in; and look at what he's doing.  Now he's attracting new fans or pulling old fans in his direction.

I know what people are saying about the days after Earnhardt, Sr.  I was a huge Davey Allison fan.  On Tuesday, July 13, 1993, I thought I would never watch another race.  However, the next year, the guys on my bowling team started a small NASCAR pool as a way for me to stay interested.  There were 6 of us on the team and 10 years later, I have 151 people in my "Fantasy Racing Challenge".  It gives people a way to cheer on your favorite drivers regardless of what the racing is like and at the same time, poke some fun at your friends that are in the challenge.

There are ways to keep an interest while going through change.  I got through it 10 years ago and here I am.

Keep the faith!!
John

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 03:09:19 PM »

Well first off, contrary to popular opinion, I don't think any one driver makes or breaks the sport.  Be it Allison, Petty, Gordon, Earnhardt, or Elliott.  

I like most of the drivers out there.  I learned a long time ago, they are just normal men and if you dote too much on just one, it really affects your overall enjoyment of the sport.  That one driver cannot win every single week.  Therefore, I have about 10 "favorite" drivers and like nothing better than to see two of them battling for the win at the end of a race.  To me, that's the perfect race.  

That being said, even the constant push by TV of the "young guns" is not part of my problem with the sport.  I like some of the younger drivers along with my other favorites.

What's really painful is to see something that used to be so exciting and entertaining being dilluted and driven into the ground by the sactioning body and a bunch of corporate types who obviously don't care about their customers, the fans.  

As to us not being able to do anything about it, I don't agree.  We can stop giving our money to ISC for race tickets as Lou and I have done recently.  We're down from 12 races in 2001 to only 4 Cup races this year, all except one at non-ISC tracks.  As Sally has suggested, we can stop watching the races on TV, as it appears a lot of fans are doing this season.

Cheryl
jw
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 04:19:32 PM »

The Cal Wells proposal does have potential to work if it is followed the
exact way he envisions it.

If this plan happens, I do not see it happening until a new TV contract
is in place.  Speaking of TV, the talk of bringing ABC/ESPN back to
NASCAR may be a warning to the networks currently showing NASCAR
races that they need get "their act together".  NASCAR may be
realizing that they made a huge mistake when they dumped ESPN.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 05:02:18 PM »

Quote from: "jw"
The Cal Wells proposal does have potential to work if it is followed the
exact way he envisions it.

If this plan happens, I do not see it happening until a new TV contract
is in place.  Speaking of TV, the talk of bringing ABC/ESPN back to
NASCAR may be a warning to the networks currently showing NASCAR
races that they need get "their act together".  NASCAR may be
realizing that they made a huge mistake when they dumped ESPN.

I agree that the proposal doesn't sound bad at all.  I was just reading some comments by car owners in the Scene and they said they'd willingly do 40 races if they didn't have to travel halfway across the country to do them.  Of course, NASCAR would do just the opposite and require the teams to travel more to Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Seattle, etc.  

On your second point about ESPN, I'd like to think the mention of them would scare Fox and NBC, but I think the folks at the top of Fox are too caught up in their own egos to think any other network would present a challenge to them.  And from what I've read about NBC, the network executives aren't happy with their profits and aren't even sure if they will want the coverage after their contract expires.   NASCAR supposedly dumped ESPN because a "cable" network was no longer good enough for them.  Of course the fallacy of that is that half the races on NBC are relegated to TNT anyway.  Trust me, I'd like nothing better than to see ESPN and their classy approach to race coverage return.  I'm just not holding my breath because Brian France doesn't seem any more concerned about the quality of the coverage than he is about tradition anymore.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: