November 23, 2017, 05:39:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About the new qualifying thing.  (Read 2375 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 05:11:24 PM »

Does anyone know for sure whether or not the same rules of placing cars in the Daytona 500 starting lineup will apply (cars that qualify from the first race go to the inside of the grid, those that qualify from the second race go to the outside)?

In any event, it will be fun to watch NASCAR put together the lineup.  I can only hope that the grid we see as FX goes off the air is the correct one, and that NASCAR does not have to change it.  The worst thing would be if the change meant that a team had to go home; it would cost the driver at least $211,000.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 05:27:59 PM »

Here's my understanding of the whole lineup mess.

There are 35 spots guaranteed based on last years owner points.

There are 8 spots to be filled in by teams outside that golden 35.

4 of those 8 spots were filled by the top 4 "non-35" teams qualifying speeds, regardless of whether their speeds were at the bottom of the list or the top of the list, just as long as they were better than other non-35 teams. Where they start in the 500 gets determined on where they finish in their twin race.

The remaining 4 of 8 spots will be filled by "non-35" teams race results from the Twin Races. 2 will be filled per race. Lets' say you are non-35 team and there are 6 other non-35 teams in your race. You only have to beat 4 of them, to make it into the Daytona 500. Doesn't matter if you finish 1st or 21st, as long as you beat 4 non-35 teams.

The rest of the field for the twins are set on a combo of things.:

1.) Fastest 2 qualifying times are guaranteed front row spots for the 500 and they are placed in on the pole position for one of the Twin races. The "golden-2".

2.) 2004 owner points determined which race you would be in. If you finished 11th in points (an odd number) you would be in the 1st race. If you finished 8th (an even number) you would be in the 2nd race.

3.) How you lineup for your Dual race is then determined by your qualifying result. If you were 11th in points and had the 3rd fastest qualifying speed, you would line up in race #1, position #2 (because position #1 was filled by one of the "golden 2's". so on and so forth until all of the "35's" are placed.

Next comes the actual Dual races. What is their importance if the spots are guaranteed? Not much, EXCEPT.....

1.) How you finish determined where you will start for the 500 miler. So you still want to finish well to get a spot closer to the front. Results from race #1 fill in the odd numbered spots in the Daytona 500 starting grid, even numbers do likewise

2.) If you are a non-35 team, you need to run well and beat out enough of the other non-35 teams to be one of two selected from your race.

3.) In theory, a non-35 team, let's use Morgan Shepard for example, could win their Twin Whatever race and then start the Daytona 500 in the 3rd or 4th spot.

So the twin races do have some importance level to both groups - the 35's and the non-35's.

Oh and lastly, lets say you are a 35 team and finish badly in your twin race, well you are guaranteed a spot, but it will likely have to be a provisional and THEN your qualifying time will determine WHICH provisional spot you get. Just because you are a 35 team does not mean you do not have to take a provisional.

Clear as mud again??

Lou

Vivian
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 01:21:44 AM »

Dick, good idea.  I think I won't worry about it and only just who is in the races.

Lou, you made some sense and didn't make some sense.  Thanks.  I am still confused so I will follow Dick this time.   :wink:
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 05:32:57 PM »

Sorry, Lou. Eat your heart out. :lol:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 05:39:59 PM »

So, Lou, I think the answer is yes.  I think... :lol:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 05:42:58 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"

oh, that's real mature... I thought you were supposed to be "old hot rodder"

Hey, Vivian now has 1000 posts and is an official Living Legend!

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2005, 08:34:11 PM »

Quote from: "Lou"
Quote from: "old hot rodder"

oh, that's real mature... I thought you were supposed to be "old hot rodder"

Hey, Vivian now has 1000 posts and is an official Living Legend!

Okay, now kids, try to stop this childish one-upmanship.  The racing season hasn't even started yet.   :lol:

Congratulations, Vivian!  You are truly our first Living Legend!   Cheesy

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2005, 09:30:04 PM »

Okay, now that I am a Living Legend (I am certainly old enough to be!  :wink: )  , does that mean I have to act, talk and brag like DW (I would skip all the geisha makeup, hair & eyebrow dye though  :twisted: ) or can I just be smooth and soft spoken like Ned Jarrett???
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2005, 09:37:49 PM »

Congratulations, vivian, a legend in her own time.

Lou I have the OLDpart down pat.  :wink:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2005, 02:48:57 AM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Okay, now that I am a Living Legend (I am certainly old enough to be!  :wink: )  , does that mean I have to act, talk and brag like DW (I would skip all the geisha makeup, hair & eyebrow dye though  :twisted: ) or can I just be smooth and soft spoken like Ned Jarrett???

Haha, Vivian!  Yes, I'd go the Ned Jarrett route.  He has always been a truly classy guy and you are a classy lady.   Cheesy

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2005, 09:13:54 PM »

Cheryl, I am blushing, but thank you.  :wink:
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2005, 12:21:55 AM »

Monte Dutton puts in his two cents about the procedures and invokes a familiar book and movie in the process:

http://www.gastongazette.com/Portal/ASP/sports/nascar/nascarDisplay.asp?ID=1346

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: