November 20, 2017, 10:25:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About the new qualifying thing.  (Read 2373 times)
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« on: February 12, 2005, 03:43:47 AM »

Does anyone else besides me think that the new qualifying procedure for nascar is completely stupid guarnteeing the top 35 cars in points a guarnteed spot on the grid it doesn't sound fair too me.

It reminds me of the 25 and 8 procedure tony george instituted for the 1996 and 97 indy 500 locking cart out of the race.

But tony george and the indy 500 is a different story for a different time.

Still i think that is stupid to guarantee spots like that in any racing series.

No matter whether it's nascar indycar f1 sportscar etc etc.

It seems like nascar just gets worse and worse every year with all the new rules and procedures.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 06:26:44 AM »

Amen, Bryan!

What about the sponsors that spend millions of dollars on a team, only to see it go home on qualifying day, with no exposure on race day?

How many deserving drivers will see their careers derailed by this rule?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 01:28:26 PM »

I agree that it is going to do nothing but discourage new teams for entering racing.  There are basically 8 spots open for anyone not in the top 35.  Even if they have good enough times to qualify, they will be bumped to allow the top 35 their guaranteed starting position.  I understand why they are doing it, but don't think it's the right solution for the problem.  Racing is a risk.  If you can't make the field, go home and work harder for the next time.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 02:19:37 PM »

I tend to agree.  I'm not even sure I really understand the qualifying procedures for this year's 500 yet.  Based on the graphic SPEED showed last night, it appeared that besides the front row being set by qualifying tomororw, only the second row would be set by the results of the Twin 125s on Thursday.  Is that right? It sounded like the rest of the field would be set by owners points from last year for the top 35 teams, then the last 8 spots based on quals or results from the twins.  Very confusing and really negates both quals and the twins to me.   Did anyone else understand it completely?  

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 02:51:13 PM »

No your right cheryl it confuses me too.

But then again in nascar it's all about the money not the  racing or quality of these days.

Or should i say lack of quality.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 02:56:03 PM »

I don'tthink i've mentioned this but since i mentioned tony george i will did anybody who post on here know that he gets his ideas from the france family and nascar that really sais something about the future of the 500 and irl if you ask me.

They are moving the start of the indy 500 from 11 in the morning to 12 in the afternoon for ratings which i think is just stupid.

Sometime in the future because of weather reasons their going to wish they had that hour.

That's the reason the 2004 indy 500 was shortened by 20 laps cause of rain cause they spent an hour mopping up the wepers and that was an hour of dry weather time if they had that full hour of dry weather time and had cars on the track they could have ran the full distance.
super61
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 05:26:56 PM »

I think they just pretty much took out the provisionals..If you look at the old provisional deal, it still guaranteed teams in the top 35 in points and previous champs a spot if they did not qualify.. Most of the teams that did not make the field last year were usually field fillers anyway. It wasn't until the "CHASE" that 8-10 cars were goin home every week. Not really much of a difference in procedure as wording in the rules.

AS for 500 qualifying.......only Brian France knows the actual process and will not tell anyone until after the race..then he can change the rules to make it look like no one got screwed.

ken
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 01:19:42 PM »

Quote from: "super61"
AS for 500 qualifying.......only Brian France knows the actual process and will not tell anyone until after the race..then he can change the rules to make it look like no one got screwed.

Great point, Ken, and unfortunatley, probably true.  He is the king of spin doctors for sure...

Cheryl
Smallblock bored
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 03:06:10 AM »

Talk of ditching provisionals started a few years back when guys that were faster starting getting bumped by guys that were slower and would simply use a "provo". Fast guy goes home and slower car gets in. But then a funny thing happened and we started to use the term field fillers. This saw guys that would show up, run laps, stay clean and go home a few bucks ahead if they were lucky. When a gent (fine person in my opinion) started a race with no pit crew that was a bit too much. NASCAR stuck to what it said it would do and rewarded the teams that were there every week with this magic number 35 thing.
 Take time to look back over the years and it will show you the guys who raced. 2004 29 drivers started all 36 races. 35 cut off point was jimmy spencer. Spencer started 26 races yet finished ahead of Kyle Petty as an example. As farther noted Wimmer only had 35 starts and was 29th.
2003 29 drivers started all 36 races with 5 missing one race. Biffle missed one race as we all recall was due to being bumped by a provo and it proved very costly to him. 20 th in points it would have closed gap as Biffle was a rookie. Tony Raines started 35 and was 33rd and Petty was out of the top 35.
2002 28 drivers started all 36 races with the 35th spot going to Casey Atwood.
 My point is this, there are many teams who are seeing a new age forming as who was not in the 35 say three years ago would be racing in week in and week out. Now from this day forward you will see standards being set as 35 teams are in nomatter what and the fringe will be left to fight for the few spots and thus perhaps there will not be enough regular "fighters" week in and week out so in turn it will solidify the top 35 for years to come as the same bunch only to have two three "picked off"every year. I have a point to watch. Look at the bottom 10 from 35 mark up and watch to see who is taken over from behind as the year goes along. We should see only a few changes. I think...
 Outside the top 35 is where the drop off from regular drivers and regulars occurs. 26 races raced. That I think is the logic as it was dictated by the regular number of teams. 88 or so teams a year try a race at some point so I think it kinda rots for me being a Robby Gordon fan but the same time NASCAR said you were hear all year you will hear all next year. We'll have to wait and see who gets "picked off"
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 07:34:39 AM »

Yeah, I like to use my Palm Pilot to keep track of who has qualified and where they are for the starting grid, and it confused me as to how they put the drivers outside the top 35 in owners points into either race #1 or #2 for Thursday.

I tried to figure it out by different patterns, and it still is not very clear. I understand that odd numbered owners points in the top 35 go to race #1, and evens for race #2, but it's weird how the other drivers get placed.

Even nascar.com got a quote from John Darby, who said that they like to make the simple as complicated as possible when referring to the Daytona 500 qualifying procedure. Guess that the fans may still never get an official rulebook for NASCAR!  :roll:

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 05:17:24 PM »

To answer my own question from last week: at least one.

In December, it was reported that Ward Burton was close to a deal with Bang Racing and its owner, Internet investor Alex Meshkin.  The young owner was having some success in the truck series and was hoping to move up to Cup racing.  NetZero would have been the car sponsor, and Travis Kvapil could have served as a teammate.

However, when the "35-and-8" rule was first rumored, NetZero balked on sponsoring a completely new team and instead renewed its deal with Haas CNC, which finished 31st last year.

Burton has yet to land somewhere else, and the 2002 Daytona 500 winner will watch this year's race from the woods in southwest Virginia.  But everyone expects him to return at some point, perhaps at the first opening at a top-flight team.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 08:24:29 PM »

guys i like the new rules because it's a reward for that qualify for every race plus this will save money.btw good to be back i missed everyone.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 01:24:41 PM »

Quote from: "17RoushFan"
I like to use my Palm Pilot to keep track of who has qualified and where they are for the starting grid

What a geek! I love it! I hereby make you an honorary member of the Official GeekNeck Society of America. (part geek, part redneck).

I'm the president by the way.

Can you believe that someone already had the domain name registered before I could snag it. I think I'll sue...

Lou

Vivian
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 09:22:26 PM »

17 Roush Fan wrote:

I tried to figure it out by different patterns, and it still is not very clear. I understand that odd numbered owners points in the top 35 go to race #1, and evens for race #2, but it's weird how the other drivers get placed.

Me, too!  As is everyone else.  What else is new?

I am still confused by the line-up for the 150's.  I thought it was by last years owner's points.  Not. No, it is by the way they qualified, I think.  Odd qualifiers in one and even qualifiers in the other.  Each race's line up clearly shows Skinner, Lefler and others who were not up high in owner points, if any, last year starting in positions in 2nd, 3rd or 4th rows on tv last night.  Those 4 who did not have owner points enough from last year are definitely in the 500 and starting as they qualified.  The next four will be lined up according to how they finish in their 150 Thursday.  Right?

I think if the announcers get it wrong, then fans get it wrong and no one knows because they listen to how the annoucers explain it.  Somebody help!!
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 04:58:20 PM »

I know that this is a cop out, but I just decided to ignore the whole lineup mess. As long as my favorite drivers make the field, I won't try to figure out the starting order.
Shoot, by the time I figured it out, Brian would change it anyhow. :?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: