November 18, 2017, 04:55:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daytona Rolex 24 Coverage  (Read 1458 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 07, 2005, 02:05:34 PM »

We watched about 13 hours of the 14 hours broadcast on Sat/Sun.  What bothered both Lou and I about this broadcast was the ridiculous amount of commercials.  I wish I had JW's patience to record the race and go back and count how often SPEED was away at break.  Also, the segments that Porshe sponsored with "minimal commercial interruptions" were really a joke.  When they weren't at commercial, they were showing us the same "race recaps" over and over again.  Yet, for the 10 hours they were off the air from 8 p.m. Sat till 8 a.m. Sunday, they had absolutely NO highlights.  Just showed a bunch of cars in the garage receiving repairs and told us about what happened while they were away.  Very disappointing if you ask me.

With all their technology, tickers and constant chatter by the announcers, I also noticed they never showed us the time/lap intervals between cars.  That was something I'd really liked to have known.  But I guess they didn't want to highlight how far apart the cars really were.  Of course, it seemed like one of the more competitive 24 hour races I've seen, with a lot of racing and lead changes before the very end.  I kept wondering  if the presence of so many NASCAR drivers accounted for this.  While I'm not really into endurance races, I did enjoy when Collard in the 10 car raced so hard to get by the 20 car Sunday morning.  That ended up being "the pass for the win" even though the 20 went on to lose laps later because of mechanical problems.  But since the 10 had problems during the night, everything sort of equaled out in the end.  

My biggest disappointment was when SPEED had SO many commercials after the checkered flag and said they'd "try" to talk to "podium finishers."  They interviewed both teams who finished first in their classes, then skipped the second place team in the DP class which included Elliot Forbes Robinson and Johnson, and interviewed Stewart whose team finished third in that class.  So much for that team's perserverence and good finish.  SPEED announcers said something like "other key players" when they jumped to the TS interview before they went off the air.  

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the quality of coverage from a Fox-owned network.  The one year that the entire 24 hours of the race was shown on Speedvision (before they were purchased by Fox) was SO neat, and Lou I stayed up and watched almost the entire thing.  But I'm sure it's not financially sound for Fox to show all 24 hours.  It's much better for them to claim they are showing us 14 hours, with about 6-7 hours of commercials instead.  

Well, only one more week until NASCAR coverage starts.  I'm beginning to develop a little excitement for the start of the season now, and that old hope that we might actually have some good racing in this year's 500 is beginning to surface.  But then, I've always been an optomist where racing is concerned.   :roll:

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 03:15:58 PM »

Yeah tell me about it cheryl there were 2 commercials i got real sick of hearing and seeing and they got to be annoying repetitive and they got old fast.

They keep showing these 2 commercials over 1 about the vermont teddy bear and another about the truck series.

They showed the truck commercial constantly during the barrett jackson car auction thing which i watched a little bit of last weekend too.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 04:29:20 PM »

Quote from: "Bryan Blanton"
Yeah tell me about it cheryl there were 2 commercials i got real sick of hearing and seeing and they got to be annoying repetitive and they got old fast.

They keep showing these 2 commercials over 1 about the vermont teddy bear and another about the truck series.

Yeah, I forgot to mention how annoying it was to see that the Vermont Teddy Bear ad 9 million times.  I got sick of that one last year about this time.

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 04:34:21 PM »

It's awfully tempting to jam that teddy bear down that woman's throat.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 06:04:58 PM »

I only saw the last fifteen minutes of it.  And I too was disappointed that they did not interview the second place team.  It seems like with all the coverage they had why was it necessary to cut out so quickly when it was over.

Have to say though that most of the NASCAR guys did us proud.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

sally
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 06:59:57 PM »

I'm with you, Cheryl.  Their crawler at the top of the screen was useless.  They didn't even show which cars were out of the race, much less which cars were left on the lead lap, or the interval between cars!  Too bad that an exciting race was waylaid by poor information.  I still find David Hobbs one of the most entertaining commentators of motorsports!  I watch F1 just to hear him...he's so irreverent with that dry, British wit, and isn't afraid to poke fun.

I'm afraid that I haven't managed to work up any enthusiasm yet for Daytona.  Watching the poor coverage of the 24 Hours by Fox just reminded me what I have to put up with for the first half of the season.

Sally :roll:
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 07:28:35 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
I still find David Hobbs one of the most entertaining commentators of motorsports!

Oh Sally. Just when I thought there was hope for you.... Smiley
Hobbs is a pompous %$# and should never be forgiven for his insensitive interview of Bobby Allison.

I bet all the people who live in small towns love him now after his comment about 'po-dunk hick towns' during the show...

Oh yeah, and the broadcast was as disapointing as any I have seen in recent years. I thought there was an FCC law about the # of commercial minutes per hour?? They not only broke the limit, the obliterated it.

Other than that, I love racing and the show was swell....
 :twisted:

Lou "add Hobbs to the list of people I dislike, right next to the Sauters" Lauer

Vivian
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 09:37:31 PM »

I watched most of the race.  Misssed the first 2 hours Sunday morning due to time out here.  5am is too early too get up.  :wink:

The racing itself was very good I thought.  They did seem to do a lot of recaps but then that was probably because they didn't think anyone would have stayed glued to the tv set for all those hours.  That part was monotous but necessary for new tuner-iners.  The vermont bear commercials were very sickening after the first 2.  Then the p.j. one was just as bad.  I personally still like flowers and candy.  As far as the broadcasters, they were okay except the time Bob Varsha showed us the newly remodeled/renevated victory lane at Indianapolis.   :? I also did not like like the fact that they didn't talk to 2nd place, but Don put that into perspective when he told me Tony was more colorful and the reporters were once again looking for controversy from him and something they could use again him in reference to his attitude.  Don really dislikes Tony but sometimes does make objective remarks about how the media tries to agitate him.Made sense to me.

Over all, I was just happy to see racing again.  I am going to do my best to live with all the quality of broadcasting and overage of commercials.  Also going to try to be more tolerant of some of the mistakes they make in announcing.   I need to remember we are very lucky to even have tv and be able to see all this stuff.
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 11:27:37 PM »

Quote from: "Lou"
Hobbs is a pompous %$# and should never be forgiven for his insensitive interview of Bobby Allison.

Amen.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 05:20:12 PM »

I would like to ask Lou for more information about the interview between David Hobbs and Bobby Allison.  My guess is that it occured around 1993 after Davey and Clifford, his two sons, died.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 05:25:17 PM »

How do you know that was hobbs choice to interview bobby allison like that maybe the producer or whoever at the time at cbs sports wanted or told david to interview bobby like that.

But yes i do think that was insensitive of david to interview bobby like that at the time in 1994 after what he had gone through in a near 2 year period with the death of his father and both his sons and then the death of his protege neil bonnett at the beginning of speedweeks 94.

I would have to go back and watch my tape of that race to see what hobbs said but i do remember being insensitive.

It reminded me of something the irl lapdog jack arute would say or do.

Jack asks stupid questions like that.

Sometimes he would ask a guy i'll use gary bettenhausen as an example he said to gary gary this was supposed to be your year and your out try to tell me your feelings on what it is like to be out of the race.

I just wanted to give you an example of what arute sais sometimes hobbs and arute can be very much alike.

And when these announcers ask a guy a stupid question they ought to know what the answer is going to be.

I remember 1 year i thought it was funny when tony stewart aj foyt and larry curry all snapped when arute interviewed them.What i mean by snapped is they cussed arute out.

Tony snapped twice at indy and at texas.

And the curry and foyt incidents happened at the same race at texas when guys blew tires.

I seem to remember david hobbs interviewing bob wollek in 1983 at the 1983 24 hours of daytona after bob's team called wollek to pit after he had just gotten the lead to come into the pits so aj could drive the car aj had not driven the car at all during the race and at the time it was raining and cold and bob was very upset about it since him and his other co driver had spent all the time in the car when hobbs interviewed him i think bob may have said the f bomb on air.

I'm not sure though i know he said something because whenever they play that interview now they block out what wollek said.

I know foyt drove the rest of that race and in the rain he turned the fastest lap of the race and wollek foyt and the other driver won that race.

And foyt and wollek became close friends i wonder how many years after wollek's comments did he have to regret what he said and sort of bite his tongue for what he said.

I know foyt and wollek won several other races together so they were quite a duo.
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 09:15:20 PM »

I remember it like it was yesterday.  It was the 1994 Daytona 500 and I believe Bobby had his #12 in the race.  During the middle of the race while Bobby was looking towards the turn 4 end of pit road, David came up to him and asked him, "How does it feel not to have an Allison in the Daytona 500 for the first time in a long time?"  Bobby replied, "Terrible."

I feel sick everytime I think of it.  Who ever decided the question was to be asked, someone should have had the common sense to say no, especially David Hobbs since he asked it.

Sorry Lou for stepping in on Desmond's question, but being a Davey Allison fan, the situation hit a nerve with me as it did with you.  If you have more to add, I would be interested in reading it.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Vivian
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 09:20:53 PM »

My view on all of these questions from the media (no matter who or who they represent) is that they have a quest to bring all the sensationalizm they can to any interview.  Regardless of the situation, they want to have it first and what they think is best - for the ratings, of course.  That is what they feed on and will continue to do as long as there is a public to feed it to.  

JMHO
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 03:31:45 PM »

Quote from: "John"
Sorry Lou for stepping in on Desmond's question, but being a Davey Allison fan, the situation hit a nerve with me as it did with you.  If you have more to add, I would be interested in reading it.

Nope you said it all just fine.

As for it not being Hobbs' fault because some producer/director told him to ask - well that doesn't fly with me. Any DECENT human being/reporter would still have the courtesy and the balls to say no to asking question of this sensitivity. He could have rephrased it, not asked it, etc. He had options and he chose to take the low road. That is where my opinion of him has resided ever since.

There's a line - he crossed it.

Lou

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: