November 18, 2017, 07:18:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Matt McLaughlin gone!  (Read 1926 times)
sally
« on: February 03, 2005, 07:05:26 PM »

Read on Jayski today that ISC has purchased the Racingone website.  They have given Matt McLaughlin the boot!  Now, not only do they want to control what is said about them thru their TV connections (Pit Bull), on track radios Steve Hmiel), but they are invading the web!  Seems to me that stifling criticism has a fine precedent...Germany, Iraq, most dictatorships.  I certainly hope he lands somewhere so we won't be drprived of his opinions and humor!

sally
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 08:12:17 PM »

sally are u kidding me?!!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 08:45:22 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Read on Jayski today that ISC has purchased the Racingone website.  They have given Matt McLaughlin the boot!  Now, not only do they want to control what is said about them thru their TV connections (Pit Bull), on track radios Steve Hmiel), but they are invading the web!  Seems to me that stifling criticism has a fine precedent...Germany, Iraq, most dictatorships.  I certainly hope he lands somewhere so we won't be drprived of his opinions and humor!

Unfortunately, NASCAR itself has always been a dictatorship.  I understand that and while I may not like it, I understand it.  But buying up web sites that don't act as your official mouthpiece really does take the cake.  And dumping Matt, well, that just really stinks...

Hmmm...maybe they'll buy out Speedcouch and I can just retire from my regular job early and live on the profits.   :lol:   You now they surely don't want any criticism of their TV partners.   :wink:

Cheryl
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 10:09:09 PM »

I am with you on ISC seeming to buy up everything critical, but I was not really a fan of Matt's writing.  I disagreed more often than not with what he said.  I do wish him well in finding a new job.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 10:11:56 PM »

Quote from: "BAM24/25"
I am with you on ISC seeming to buy up everything critical, but I was not really a fan of Matt's writing.  I disagreed more often than not with what he said.  I do wish him well in finding a new job.

Oh, I'm just the opposite.  I agreed with 98% of everything Matt said.  
 Cheesy

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 10:25:54 PM »

I often thought that he could read my mind!  He often put into words exactly what I was thinking...only usually funnier and more to the point.

I realize that Nascar has been and always will be a dictatorship.  Trying to control what the drivers and teams say in public is one thing.  Stifling independent thoughts from unrelated sources is another.  Pit Bull is dead, thanks to Nascar.  Matt McLaughlin, a frequent critic, is gone because they made it happen.  It does make one wonder...at least it makes ME wonder, just why Nascar is so paranoid about anyone questioning their decisions.  Brian France was finally willing to settle, rather than go to court and have the Nascar books open to scrutiny, with Texas...er, Francis Ferko.  This seems to me to be rampant paranoia.  Or, they have reasons for not wanting anyone to look too closely at the way they do 'business'.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 12:03:28 AM »

I was probably 50-50 with Matt.  I did like reading his stuff although I didn't always agree with him.

On another note, I really hated to see Wind Tunnel cut down to one night a week.  To me that was a great show as he had so many varied guests and they were always interesting.  The phone calls were secondary to me but it seemed he was one of the few shows that one could really voice their opinions - as did Dave.  That is probably why his shows were cut to the just one category.  I learned so much from different guests and got to see so many sides of other racing and drivers.  For instance, John Force, Helio Castroneves, Ricky Carmicheal, James Stewart, Steve Kinser and many many others.  Not necessarialy drivers but all sorts of people associated with automobiles and racing.  Sad loss there, too.  Any comments on that, anyone?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 01:46:05 AM »

Here's the exact quote from the Jayski site:

and Where is Matt McLaughlin? here is a message about Matt.....

Matt McLaughlin was released from the Racing One site Monday at the behest of the new ownership, ABC Promotions, an entity owned by the International Speedway Corporation and the France family. I talked to Matt and as of now he is has nothing new lined up though he is actively looking for a new home and talking to anyone interested in hiring a writer.

There's gotta be someone out there who will take a chance on him.  My personal preference is either Laidback Racing or Insider Racing News.  Both are great sites.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 03:26:21 AM »

Vivian, I agree completely about Wind Tunnel.  I think the move to Sunday nights is calculated to put more emphasis on the Nascar set.  Too bad.  Like you, I enjoyed hearing from so many other forms of racing.  Althought, Dave Despain  has been a huge cheerleader for the 'new' Nascar.  Of course, his favorite form of racing has never been Nascar, so he may just be laughing up his sleeve at all this BS.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 01:14:05 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
There's gotta be someone out there who will take a chance on him.  My personal preference is either Laidback Racing or Insider Racing News.  Both are great sites.

Well, Laidback Racing is a fan site just like this one, so they can't pay writers.  I'm pretty sure Insider Racing News is too, but I'm not that familiar with that site.  

Most racing sites that we all visit are really just fan sites, run as hobbies like Speedcouch, so they probably can't afford to pay writers.  But then, I don't know that much about sites that have pop-up and banner ads.  Maybe they generate enough review to pay writers, but I'd be surprised.  I refuse to put ads on Speedcouch, so I have no idea what kind of revenue they generate.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: