November 22, 2017, 05:02:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Racing at Phoenix Live Today!  (Read 377 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 31, 2005, 02:03:04 AM »

We just finished watching the Winston West (or whatever nonsense they call it now) on HDnet LIVE!!!   Part of the Copper Classic from Phoenix.  That was a total surprise!  Just happened to look at the program guide and thought it was a rerun from a Busch North or Winston West race last summer.  Looked the the information bar and it said "live" and 2005, so switched to it just as they were going through the starting grid.

Decent race for Phoenix and thankfully one whacker broke and another lost the lead to a West regular with 22 laps to go.  Great 3-wide move by eventual winner!  

Excellent job by HDnet, with only two commercial-breaks throughout the entire race.  Rick Benjamin and Pat Patterson did the commentary and although they dropped a lot of NASCAR names, they did not dwell on the Cup guy who led 78 laps.  They told us he was "still leading" but the cameras and commentary were focused on closer racing throughout the pack.

At the end of the broadcast, Patterson pointed out how they thought it was neat that they were doing the first live stock car broadcast of the year.  I did too!  I don't think anyone else here has HDnet (from DirecTV), but if you ever get a chance to see one of these broadcasts, they are awesome!  Not just the phenomenal picture quality of HD, but the old-time feel of the commentators, where they mentioned every sponsor on each car and tried to mention everyone in the field a few times during the race.  Very different from what we'll see from Fox in a couple weeks.

I purposely did not mention the whackers involved or the winner as this race may be rebroadcast later on Speed, Fox Sports Net or Sports South.  If it is, check it out.  It was worth watching (or else I'm just starved for some racing).  

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: