November 18, 2017, 02:02:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refresh your memory  (Read 868 times)
Smallblock bored
« on: February 03, 2005, 04:13:43 PM »

It's been a while since the last race of the season. A period of time when reflection of what we enjoyed about the season slowly turns from memories to fruitless attempts to recall things seem to drive us (MYSELF) bonkers. Maybe my age and vast and empty life style seems to have me set off alone in the short memory bank department, but what I do remember are things that tick me off rather than the things I seem to truely enjoy. Why is my memory of Jeff Gordon Punting Jeff Burton to win the 1,000,000 bounus so vivid after all these years. Yet I can't seem to remember a thing about this past seasons night race at Daytona, other than the rain delay that is. What seems to stick with me is the bad, so as we are now upon the eve of speedweeks I seem to have somehow refreshed my memory of what I fear as the racing season gets up to speed. Here is a short list of what television will bring us. After so long of covering racing why has there not been any evolution.
1) Commercials......gotta have them but as we watch the Daytona 500 or even the field setters the week pryor why in the world do the go to a commie break run two laps then go back to commercials. 2 Laps people! It happens, get out your note pad and count the instances that we are dragged to a break returned and thus dragged right back. It will happen, mark my words.
2) Explanation of loose tight. I can see this for folks who are watching there first race ever but week in and week out with the same crayon like graphics. So me some respect and try and get it over with quick and early perhaps coupled with the new spoiler rule/common teplate. If it were to be a must may I suggest that this "feature" be reserved for a yellow flag period. I'm sure you can fit it in along with a fairly good explanation of the relationship between camber/toe and track bar. Throw in the use of tire (nitrogen) pressures to manipulte any given attribute of the car and you can really get a guys/gals attention.
3) See nitrogen---not air. Just once guys say nitrogen and why it is used. Nitrogen is our freind. It is one the most widely use gases/liquids on earth. Inert, which is a word that can be used to sometimes describe the techno side of tely coverage. Please for the sake of our IQ don't let this fact be ignored for fear that the general public would have anything to worry about because the tires are filled with nitrogen and not AIR.
4) Can you say "how about that"! Benny can, get a new line man, maybe perhaps something like "I hadn't seen that coming, perhaps if I had I would have mentioned it even at the risk of seeming a bit presumptuos".
 Well "oh no"! thats okay I guess
5) How would you feel if you were offered the race that a small picture in picture bow to show the race while we watch Gieco commercials.
6) I'll be the number of Subway commercials is more than the number of caution periods in any given race. Even Bristol. While I understand the corporate powers that be are giving what is cotract when a franshise is purchased and even the little guy down the road that sells you an airball sub with substandard brand cold cuts gets air time out of the deal it seems pretty plain to me that this "subway thing" exists somewhere and if I get a flat tire while within walking distance and the energy expelled changing it brings my to the doorstep of certain starvation I may eat it. However strong my will is to eat fresh plants and meet I can't bring myself to cunsume that product. But if I were kidnapped,locked in the back of a truck for a week and released in front of one, I would perhaps be obligated to do it. That is to say if all these conditions were met and I were to find a five dollar bill laying on the ground outside the front door, maybe. But as comical as my freaky quirks are I can take it no longer the interuptions that are now "subway commercials"
7) Drug commercials, boy how I love these but I shall leave politics out of it, i'm sure the average person is smart enough to know the relationship between what "is a desease" and how the term drug can be used. I long for the 500 as I sit and eat 45 chicken wings and see that there is a drug that can help me shed theses pounds and all i'll have to suffer through is bleeding from my ears, sleeploss, impodumiousness, and if i'm lucky the runs. Just joking folks but am I alone in my fear of the heaping chunks of commercials that are aimed at the sky, I mean "who are these people?"
 One bad memory was the first race at Daytona under the lights. I invited my dad and a bud from work. My dad was a former short track driver and we have been to races and such. The co-worker brought his girlfriend who turned out to be a avid and violent 24 fan the night was a disaster as she walked out after the race in a bitter mood as she could not match wits with my father and myself as we were strong anti 24 and she was pro J. Gordon, The 24 won, my bud lost his girl,she walked home and my race night was ruined. As I look back it was a commercial for something that started the whole scene, but I can't quite remember what it was for. All the same I live at a disadvantage as commercials that seem to parade before me in a meaningless void really bother me. I think I need help but perhaps NASCAR will soon offer payper view no commercial coverage. I'm in!
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 04:56:06 PM »

So the tires in NASCAR vehicles are filled with nitrogen?  That'll astonish a lot of people, including me.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »

I think we remember the bad because something happens to one of our favorites by someone we don't really like as a driver.  You like Jeff Burton but you don't like Jeff Gordon so you remember.

Nitrogen, huh?
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 06:38:47 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Nitrogen, huh?

Yes. It has considerably less moisture content (maybe none) than regular air has. Moisture can be heated - i.e. friction of rubber on asphalt - and when moisture heats up, it increases the tire temp and affects the air pressure buildup. Nitrogen gives better and more predictable performance.

Ain't that right Mr. SmallBlock or should we call you "DuPontBlocked"? ;-)

Lou

sally
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 06:52:39 PM »

HEY!  Some of us knew about the nitrogen before today, you know!  But you're right on about the bad memories being the strongest...oy.

Sally
Smallblock bored
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 03:59:08 AM »

Yes nitrogen far less effect by tempreture on the pressure thing. Also it was goodyear that invented the first innerliner and thus passed the techno on to Michelin in a show of saftey. 1966
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 01:25:28 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I think we remember the bad because something happens to one of our favorites by someone we don't really like as a driver.  You like Jeff Burton but you don't like Jeff Gordon so you remember.

Ah, selective memory, a common trait all race fans share.   :wink:

Funny, Jeff Burton doesn't seem to remember it the way Mike does and he was the one involved.  He recalled that very incident on the 40 Greatest NASCAR Moments on CMT.  He said Gordon was going for the million and his job was to "act as spoiler," and he didn't get the job done.

To me, that was a great battle between two drivers who drive each other hard, but draw the line at putting each other in the fence.  That's always what they have both said about it over the years, "you run a guy the way he runs you..."  But both admit if they'd been racing against a guy who thinks nothing about wrecking his competition, the day may have turned out quite differently.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 09:09:58 PM »

Cheryl wrote:

"you run a guy the way he runs you..."

I have heard a lot of drivers say that at times.  Then other times they come out with "it was __________, what do you expect?"  So trust me, they do put a lot of emphasis on how others race.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: