February 19, 2018, 02:59:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has NASCAR "jumped the shark"?  (Read 1695 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: January 19, 2005, 05:42:45 PM »

The web site called Jump the Shark is one of the more fascinating sites on the Internet.  Users are asked to give their opinions on when a movie, TV show, or other pop culture item declined to the point that they no longer liked it.

I would like to ask our users when they think NASCAR "jumped the shark."  When did your enthusiasm become disillusionment?  Or do you still like it as much as you ever have?  In that case, it has "never jumped."

Let me start with my opinion.  It was on Sep. 15, 2003, when Brian France became the president and CEO of NASCAR.  The sport was already in decline, dating back to the death of Dale Earnhardt at the 2001 Daytona 500.  But most of the NASCAR reaction was positive.  Safety became its number-one priority.

But when "Baby Brian" took over, the level of decline grew substantially.  Race officials no longer knew how to boil water, let alone make the correct rulings.  Prices at the race track shot up, especially at ISC tracks.  And the loyal fan base was cast aside in favor of France's pursuit of hot celebrities that are not guaranteed to follow the sport longterm.

There are no drivers powerful and outspoken enough to provide "checks and balances" to NASCAR officials.  And the TV people that have tried have paid for it.  See the cancellation of Pit Bull and the demotion of Allen Bestwick.

What do you think, people?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 06:56:08 PM »

I agree, Desmond.  Nascar jumped the shark when Baby Brian decided it should be an 'entertainment' rather than a sport.  The new rules are all made for TV so they can pretend the competition is close.  It has lost most of it's legitimacy with the 'aero matched' cars, charity lap, and 10 race playoff.  I found this off season went by too quickly.  I have yet to generate any enthusiasm for what Nascar passes off as racing these days.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 08:55:40 PM »

I'd say my disillusionment began sometime in late 2000 when NASCAR announced the "new TV partners."  Also, the 5X5 rule that year at Daytona which caused NO competition at all and that's pretty much when the restrictor plate tracks became a total bore for me.  

My disappointment with the TV contract continued when we saw all the bells and whistles and hype that Fox brought in with their first broadcasts of practice from Daytona in 2001, (i.e., an antimated tire jumping over the fence).  The racing at most tracks continued to be somewhat exciting when I attended races live through most of that year.  But when ISC used the 9/11 tragedies to condone their silly cooler rules starting in October that year, I began to lose interest in attending races at their tracks.  

Then the compeition continued to go downhill in 2002 and 2003, with only flashes of the racing I used to love.  Too much domination by the "engineers" on the megateams and too little racing in the driver's hands (which is what I loved about the sport).  To many aero rules, etc. and too much selective rule enforcement in 2003 and 2004.  Then the stupid free pass rule.  It's been a steady decline that just culminated in the silly Chase format instituted in 2004.  

Probably, from what I've read, Brian France is the cause of most of my disillusionment.  I have heard he was the one behind the negotiation of the new TV contract with Fox and NBC and to me, that is when things started their downhill spiral.  The Free Pass Rule was definitately his first official "act" when he was made president in 2003 and look how well that's turned out.

As I always point out, Lou and I went from attending 12 Cup races in 2001 (mostly cause we had to pay for those tix a year in advance), to now only planning to attend two races in 2005, with the likelihood we won't attend any in 2005.  Yeah, old Brian has "grown" the sport as far as I'm concerned... Outgrown it for me, that is...:evil:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 09:55:48 PM »

I think everyone has something that they either dislike or like, and I strongly feel that everyone has a right to what they feel or like without being ridiculed or put down because of it.  Right now a lot of people like the way things are going and are not disillusioned with the product that NASCAR is putting out these days.  I hope no one who reads our forum feels like we are bashing or trying to impose and push our feelings onto them.  I think it is very important that everyone feel free to express their feelings on this subject.  Now, that being said...

My disillusionment began mostly when Brian made it a show rather than a real competition.  I just don't care for all the 'star' glitz; and the fact that they started bringing in people like Brittany Spears to promote left a very sour taste in my mouth.  To me that would be akin to having the late Liberace promote football.  Don't get me wrong, I think Liberace had a lot of talent and I liked his music.  But the NFL did not need big names to promote it.  Then when Fox started offering up so many on screen advertisements at the bottom of the screen along with all of those e.d. commercials I got totally annoyed.  I also got extremely annoyed when they decided a lap down car needed help to win a race although in years past, many drivers did it without the free pass.  Then I can't forget to mention those B words that I began to hate.  I am not saying that these things are wrong for everyone by any means.  I think like in the Toby Keith song that they just aren't right for me.  

Bottom line, I like competition and will seek it elsewhere to satisfy that need but I will also continue to watch most of the Cup races because I have some drivers I really like and like a groupie, I will follow them.   :wink: I will never forget the thrills I have had of attending races in person and I am wise enough to know that tv does not do racing and ALL drivers justice, but the general idea is there and I will be a fan of sorts until the demise of the sport.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 05:29:25 PM »

Very nicely stated, Vivian.  Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 05:43:41 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Also, the 5X5 rule that year at Daytona which caused NO competition at all and that's pretty much when the restrictor plate tracks became a total bore for me.

Please explain the 5X5 rule to me.  How does/did it affect the cars and the setups to create this lack of competition?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 05:59:04 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Quote from: "Cheryl"
Also, the 5X5 rule that year at Daytona which caused NO competition at all and that's pretty much when the restrictor plate tracks became a total bore for me.

Please explain the 5X5 rule to me.  How does/did it affect the cars and the setups to create this lack of competition?

I don't even remember all the details anymore.  Something about a 5 inch spoiler and 5 inches of ground clearance on the front airdam I believe.  It was a result of Ford/Chevy complaints about each brand getting more from NASCAR or something like that.  

The lack of competition it brought was demonstrated when Dale Jarrett led almost every lap of the Daytona 500 that year and there was virtually no passing.  Thankfully, NASCAR saw the light eventually and did away with it.

It was one of the most boring Daytona 500s in history (though there have been some others that have rivaled it in the last couple years).

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 11:25:24 PM »

Yes it has.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 05:39:24 PM »

Bryan, thanks for your comments, but I still need some more details.  When and how did it happen for you?

Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 11:07:20 PM »

Hmm i would say it started in 01 or 02 when i started losing interest with all the changes rules and networks plus the races just weren,t as good although there were a few that were good or competitive.

Another thing that really irked me was all the changes in 04 with the points and all.

I could go on and on about the negatives of nascar but i'd rather not take up a bunch of space on page describeing all the recent wrongs of nascar.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 08:44:28 PM »

Hasn't happened for me yet.  I still enjoy NASCAR even if I don't like the C4C.  All sports have their controversies, etc.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 05:18:52 PM »

Beth, thanks for the cool picture in the signature line.  I hadn't seen a photo placed there before.

Just a reminder thet you're a huge fan of Hendrick Motorsports.  I'm sure you had a candle at your window on the day on the plane crash, and your heart was broken when Kurt Busch beat out both J. Gordon and Johnson for the title.

At what race was the picture taken?  Gotta be either the Pepsi 400 or last October in Charlotte.

BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 09:11:48 PM »

The picture was taken in Daytona.  I was devastated by that crash.  Cried for a week at least.  But it also made a bigger HMS fan.  I was really impressed with the way the whole thing was handled, and you could see what a great place that must be to work.

Was not too thrilled about Kurt you are right.  Why could that tire not rolled on pit road.  Would have been a whole different ball game.  But those were the rules so what can you do?

I just learned how to add pictures so I thought I would give it a try.  Glad you like it. Cheesy

Vivian
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 09:12:23 PM »

Beth, that is a great picture!  I had not seen one like it before.  All 3 of those Hendrick cars so close.  Really good.  Thanks for sharing.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 09:17:10 PM »

Thanks!  That's my boys!  I have more that I will add from time to time.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: