November 24, 2017, 05:55:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About Rick Allen  (Read 1129 times)
Michael
Veteran

« on: March 17, 2004, 10:09:14 PM »

Hi, all! I'm an 18-year-old auto racing fan from Nashville. I've been reading the site connected to this forum for a while now. I notice that Rick Allen doesn't get much high praise.

I think that Mr. Allen does try and do a good job on the Truck Series broadcasts. However, with this being his first TV job (he was previously a PA announcer at University of Nebraska football and basketball games), I can understand the notion that he is overwhelmed by all the info that goes into his ears. I work at the TV station at Middle Tennessee State University as the sports anchor on their Tuesday night newscasts. The on air talent doesn't use IFBs, so we don't get instruction from the folks in the control room. (At least the kind we can hear directly.) I can understand that it can be very hard for Mr. Allen to have such pressure. Maybe he took the job at the wrong time. Perhaps he needs a little more work in the TV field. I am a fan of his, but he REALLY needs work.

Just my thoughts.

And if you'd like more on me, please click on the "www" button, and you'll pull up my biography from the TV station's website. I wrote the entire thing myself, and I'm quite proud of it. Cheesy
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 02:15:35 AM »

WELCOME, Michael!  Glad you decided to join us.  As you have been checking us out, I guess you have realized we are very seldom on the board at the same time and some days go by without us inputing anything so just because we don't respond right away does not mean we are ignoring someone new.  We just catch the board when we can.
Read your bio and goal site.  You did a good job.  F1 is okay but Nascar is my favorite as with most others here.  
Please jump in anytime and give us your thoughts and ideas.   Smiley
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 05:15:35 AM »

Thank you, Vivian. I understand perfectly that you folks are busy with other things and can't always be here. I'm busy with school myself. :lol:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 02:03:15 PM »

Hi Michael,

I am well aware of Rick Allen's background as announcer for Nebraska football.  That's one reason why I think he is overwhelmed with the more dynamic nature of auto racing and TV broadcasting.  

I'm just not sure why Speed (Fox) chose him for the job as anchor for the truck broadcasts in the first place.  After one year at it, he still seems to be challenged by everything.  The producers seem open to making changes in the booth and on pit road, so I'm surprised they haven't found someone with a racing background to anchor the booth.  IMHO, there are a ton of experienced people from radio and TV who could bring so much more to the booth.  

Obviously,  I don't work in the business to know everything that it demands, but it just seems like bringing in someone with no experience in television or with racing was a particularly odd choice.

Cheryl
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 06:15:47 AM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Hi Michael,

I am well aware of Rick Allen's background as announcer for Nebraska football.  That's one reason why I think he is overwhelmed with the more dynamic nature of auto racing and TV broadcasting.  

I'm just not sure why Speed (Fox) chose him for the job as anchor for the truck broadcasts in the first place.  After one year at it, he still seems to be challenged by everything.  The producers seem open to making changes in the booth and on pit road, so I'm surprised they haven't found someone with a racing background to anchor the booth.  IMHO, there are a ton of experienced people from radio and TV who could bring so much more to the booth.  

Obviously,  I don't work in the business to know everything that it demands, but it just seems like bringing in someone with no experience in television or with racing was a particularly odd choice.

Cheryl

That's why I'm working at the TV station, so that when someone hires me, I've already got 4 years (after my sophomore year, I plan on retiring from the newscast-yes, a dumb word to use about a newscast you don't get paid to work on) under my belt when a TV station comes calling. If you want to be in TV you have to do it the legitimate way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: