November 22, 2017, 08:21:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24 hours of Daytona preview  (Read 951 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: January 14, 2005, 05:01:24 PM »

What you need to know about the Rolex 24 at Daytona, the first event of Speedweeks on Feb. 5 and 6:

NASCAR is well-represented, with 11 drivers on the entry list: Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Matt Kenseth, Kurt Busch, Jamie McMurray, Casey Mears, Greg Biffle, Bobby Labonte, Terry Labonte, John Andretti, and Boris Said.

From other series: IndyCar drivers Scott Dixon, Darren Manning and Buddy Rice and ChampCar driver Bryan Herta.

Of course, most of the leading sports-car drivers are there, including Scott Pruett, Max Papis, Wayne Taylor, Butch Leitzinger, Scott Maxwell and Elliott Forbes-Robinson.  (However, Ron Fellows, the Nextel Cup runnerup last year at Watkins Glen, will not be there.)

Paul Newman was not hurt following a fiery crash in last Saturday's practice and is expected to compete (at nearly age 80!)

I believe this event is the most underrated on the calendar, because of the variety of drivers and its location.  It's not LeMans, but for Americans, this will do.  NASCAR came close to a win a year ago with Stewart and Dale Earnhardt Jr. on the team; what will they do this time?

Television coverage begins at 9 a.m. Pacific on the Speed channel; I don't know when the race will actually start.  Of course, the race will last 24 hours after the green flag drops.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 10:59:41 PM »

Thanks for the info, Desmond.

I have always enjoyed the 24 Hours of Daytona.  When I lived in Orlando I used to go every year.  Slept in the car back then because not too many people had trailers, etc.  I have always watched it off and on during the weekend if it was televised.  I thought Jr and Tony did a great job last year, especially Tony when he started having problems.  I am looking forward to this year with hopes that Tony can do well again.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 06:10:20 PM »

My post on Friday was incorrect.  John Andretti is not entered in the event, leaving 10 Nextel Cup drivers in the field.  I went by comments by Speed's Bob Varsha referencing 11.  I don't know who the other is, or whether the network made an error.

Also, the race will start shortly after 9 a.m. Pacific time Feb. 5.  There will not be an extended pre-race show, which was my question at the time of the original post.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 04:30:45 PM »

If my plans hold up, I and a friend are going to the rolex. Should be a blast. My friend has a Mini Cooper S and we may try to drive it on the track. Should be a Good time. So, if you see two grey haired old geezers in a blue Mini on I 75 or I 95, look out cause we'll be smokin'!! :lol:

40 to go

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 05:30:21 PM »

Have fun, Dick, and don't sleep too much! :lol:

Vivian
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 09:41:08 PM »

Have a great time, Dick!  It should be lots of fun for you.  You will be in the infield, right?
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 06:25:50 PM »

Yep, Vivian. We are signed up for the Paddock Club which should be a lot of fun. I think that it puts us in an area near the hairpin turn in the infield. Plus, we should be able to see the pits, garages, and other stuff.
I'll sure let you know when we get back. I hope to get some good pictures. Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 09:30:55 PM »

We will hold you to the pictures, Dick.  Be sure and post some.
Thanks..
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 11:11:21 PM »

I thought jimmie johnson drove for last years winning rolex 24 hours of daytona team last year maybe i,m wrong?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 06:45:44 PM »

He did not, Bryan.  In fact, I think Johnson, Butch Leitzinger et al did not finish the race.

The winning team did have Christian Fittipaldi, who has made about a dozen starts in the Nextel Cup Series.  However, he is inactive at this time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: