November 19, 2017, 04:11:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disaster in the Indian Ocean  (Read 794 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: January 03, 2005, 04:26:50 PM »

Sally's post entitled "survival" is extremely ironic considering what has happened the last eight days in the Indian Ocean area after an earthquake of 9.0 magnitude and resulting tsunami that has killed over 150,000 people.

Rather than reply to her post (and possibly upset her a little bit), I have opened a separate post to cover this story and for our users to express their condolences.

At this very moment, President Bush is calling on all Americans to help the victims.  Former presidents H.W. Bush and Clinton are joining him; maybe they will film public service announcements.  Secretary of State Colin Powell and Jeb Bush, governor of Florida, are heading into the affected region, which covers 11 countries in Asia and Africa.

With all due respect to the 9/11 attacks, this is the first truly great disaster of the 21st Century.  Most of those in the affected area are now living below basic subsistence level.

:cry:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 06:43:42 PM »

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 02:29:32 PM »

I posted this on my USARfans.com website.  I hope it doesn't sound too preachy.
--------------------------------------------
I suppose we have all been sitting at home in the evenings watching the reports on CNN or surfing the web for details, mostly out of morbid curioisty I guess. Chances are that you are just like me and have done nothing to help, but you keep meaning to, really you do. I know I did.

Well, there comes a time when you just need to put your thoughts into action. If you are interested in helping with the devastation from the earthquake and tsunamis, may I suggest that you visit the Red Cross website - http://www.redcross.org. Not only do they help out here in the US whenever disaster strikes, but they are usually first on the scene whereever bad things happen in the world.  They have an online secure preocess where you can donate to the International Response Fund or, if you chose, just to the Disaster Relief Fund (which I think is for the US only). It's simple and quick. It took less than a minute of my time to make a donation. While it is not the real reason to help, your donation is also tax-deductible.

Come on. You can do it. You may be the one needing their help some day. If not the Red Cross, then choose another way to help.

Make A Donation - https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 04:30:36 PM »

Formula One megastar Michael Schumacher has donated $10 million to disaster relief efforts.  Some basketball players like Tracy McGrady and Kobe Bryant are giving $1,000 a basket.  College football fans were asked to donate on TV the last two nights.  But so far, nothing yet from NASCAR or any of its drivers.

Will let you know if there are changes.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 06:49:37 PM »

I believe it was actually 10 million euros, which is even more in dollars.  And still nothing from Nascar, you're right.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 05:04:11 PM »

Jeff Gordon appeared on last night's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and signed a motorcycle that Leno is putting up for auction to raise money for the victims.

I missed the actual show (heard about the appearance somewhere else) but I hope to get an account in TV Talk later today.

Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 07:05:32 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Jeff Gordon appeared on last night's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and signed a motorcycle that Leno is putting up for auction to raise money for the victims.

Ooooooh, how generous of him. Someone remind me of that the next time I ever contemplate buying one of his many souvenirs.....

Vivian
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 10:32:53 PM »

I know his motorcycles must be worth a little more than others, but to have Nascar and other people sign them, then auctionl them for more $$$ and send the money overseas is not my idea of a true donation.  Why can't he dig into his savings or investments if he truly wanted to donate?

This type of thing always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Sorry if I sound pious but that is just how I feel.  Now, the donation that Schumacher made was a real donation.  Not just a name thing.  And I would be willing to bet that they don't broadcast it, but RCR, DEI and Tony Stewart have donated.  Those three are usually very quiet about their contributions other than to the Junction Victory Gang.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 04:55:01 PM »

I disagree with Vivian about the motorcycle auction.  Anything to raise money for these victims is appreciated, and lots of people want a piece of celebrity.  I don't mind this idea at all.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: