November 23, 2017, 12:48:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New York Here They Come!  (Read 4827 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2004, 05:45:26 PM »

The New York Times ran a story this weekend on the recent purchase of 400 acres of land on Staten Island for a proposed race track, which it said could be open as early as 2009.  Here's a quote from the story:

[John Graham, International Speedway Corporation's vice president of business affairs] acknowledged that there are still plenty of roadblocks in the way. For one, the Staten Island site is a natural habitat for birds like egrets and herons, and will include as many as 100 acres of marshland. Under the law, developers would be required to create three new acres of marshland for every acre the track would use.

The developers would also have to shovel four million cubic yards of silt from the bottom of New York Harbor so the property is high enough to avoid flooding in severe rainstorms. And officials would have to figure out how Staten Island's congested roads could handle the additional traffic caused by the tens of thousands of racing fans.

Then there is borough politics. Even with the assistance of the Molinari Group, a lobbying firm headed by the former Staten Island borough president Guy V. Molinari, International Speedway officials did little to win over politicians with a recent PowerPoint presentation that asked them to choose between two visions for the prospective site: a glitzy new Nascar track or a gray industrial wasteland.

"That was rather offensive to us," said City Councilman Michael McMahon, whose district encompasses part of the site. "We don't take kindly to threats."

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2004, 06:09:41 PM »

Sounds like it will be an uphill battle.  Not sure what the big deal is about having a track in NY.  They have Watkins Glen, Pocono and NH which are within fairly easy driving distance.  I think it is a political issue for Nascar and not a real NEED for a track there.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

sally
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2004, 06:15:37 PM »

For some reason, the France family has always regarded NYC as their Holy Grail.  I guess they believe the line, "If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere".  It's a personal thing with them ,adn has little or nothing to do with business.  That's why they moved the banquet there instead of having it in Charlotte or Daytona where racing is regarded as a legitimate sport and business. :?

Sally
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2004, 11:14:17 PM »

I don't mind the NY banquet.  They certainly have enough events in Daytona and Charlotte plus the corporate offices for NASCAR are in NY.  It is also fun for the drivers to go there and have fun but the track thing to me is ridiculous.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Vivian
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2004, 09:16:59 PM »

I think the New York Banquet is good as it allows the wives and crews plus their family to do something different and spend time somewhere else.  I know the women must enjoy the shopping and food that is available in the city.  They probably also get pampered a bit by the car owners as to where they get to stay and eat.  Would be fun, I think.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2004, 04:48:25 PM »

guys nice to see a discussion about my fave city in the world my home nyc! seriously it looks loke mayor bloomberg won't block the track but won't help build it either. one key thing to remember is that there will be NO PUBLIC MONEY  used to build it remember that.if brian france thinks he is getting taxpayer money he'd better build his track in washington.
also guys there should be nothing wrong with building a track somewhere where there are other things to do people don't want to pay money only to see a race they want other things to do for their bucks.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2004, 10:16:34 PM »

New york here they come that sounds like something vince mcmahon the owner of the wwe a wrestling promotion would say.

I,ve also heard vince say their at the starting gate and their off.
sally
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2005, 03:28:05 AM »

Ron...how can people afford to go anywhere BUT the tracks after they've paid for tickets, food, and lodging...especially in NYC!  I've never had time to go anywhere but the track on race weekend at Bristol or Martinsville.  And at the price of things in NYC....hope you're upper management or better to afford it!
Sally
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: