November 24, 2017, 03:00:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind Tunnel  (Read 1209 times)
Vivian
« on: March 16, 2004, 01:48:44 AM »

Did anyone catch Wind Tunnel last week when he had that fellow from Detroit on?  He really raised some interesting points about the auto makers.  I can't remember his name but he seems to know what is happening with the big auto makers.  Guess they are having a big meeting to discuss the common template thing as the new charger is so different and they seem to want to keep it looking that way rather than just having different grill and decal lights that Nascar uses to differentiate (did I spell that word right??) between the makes.
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 03:11:56 AM »

I didn't catch the show, but at my morning staff meeting, my boss - a relative new NA$CAR fan, but a longtime diehard Ford man - talked to me about the "big meeting" that the manufacturers were having. He had heard that they were indeed getting fed up with NA$CAR's templates and they want their brand identities back and may threaten to pull the substantial amount of $$$ they pour into the sport if things don't change.

He probably heard about it on the Fordski website :-)

Lou

sally
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 03:33:48 AM »

Vivian,
  I watched the show.  The guy's name is Peter DeLorenzo, or something close to that.  He said this meeting was going to happen, because the areo cars aren't helping them sell cars.  His point was that, if they ever start asking themselves "why?", they will pull their $$ out of Nascar.  He thought Nascar would have to respond, since they can't just, "Pat them on the head and send them away" the way they do the fans and everyone else.  This could get interesting!
Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 05:37:37 PM »

Sally, I saw that show and your version of what DeLorenzo said is about right. I would love to see the manufacturers exercise some influence along those lines. Nascar's Micro management is really getting to me. :lol:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
oldave
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 04:37:03 AM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
Sally, I saw that show and your version of what DeLorenzo said is about right. I would love to see the manufacturers exercise some influence along those lines. Nascar's Micro management is really getting to me. :lol:

One begins to wonder if Bill Jr is going to step in and bitch-slap Brian (pardon my French).

Brian seems hellbent on getting rid of any of the roots of racing and making it as vanilla and mainstream as possible.  I can't for the life of me see how this could be good for the sport.

Mainstream would be good, I suppose, but not at the cost of the millions of fans that have put the sport where it is today.
sally
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 01:36:49 PM »

oldave, it's obvious that Nascar is running away from it's roots as far and fast as it can.  Brian France (ond TV) is so focused on getting new fans, that they are happy to ditch the old, "redneck" fans to get them.  It's like referring to all former champs as Nextel champs.  rewriting their history is a top priority for Nascar.  I'm so sick of newsies pointing out that The King won his titles under 5 different point systems.  The point they miss is that, no matter what the system, his season went from the first race to the last every time.  No one wiped out the points with 10 races to go, then pretended the winner was the weason long champ.  I find myself flashing on The Beverly Hillbillies when I think of Brian France, but in reverse!  He left "The Hills" in California to return to the southeast.  He's as out of place back home as Jed and Granny were in Cal.  And, on my part, just about as welcome.
Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: