November 19, 2017, 02:06:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earnhardt Movie  (Read 783 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: December 12, 2004, 10:53:25 PM »

The movie was okay.  I really thought Barry Pepper was excellent.  
Some scenes he really looked like Dale.  The guy for Neil Bonnett
didn't look or sound anything like him though or the one playing
Junior Johnson.  They could've tried harder there.  Guy playing Humpy looked just like him though.  The one playing Junior was pretty good, but his face was a bit too chubby.   If you just counted the title character, I give Pepper an A for his performance.  The rest were quite a bit weaker.

But the real weakness to me was the whole script.  Too much glossing over events, like when did he first get married.  Why the wives really left.  Then when he got with Osterland.  Where did Osterland come from and stuff?  And give me  a break, I can't believe he went right from dirt tracks to Charlotte.  That's a bit of a stretch.  Too much rushing through from the time he was a rookie to 1st championship through next few years.  

Biggest complaint though was misuse of quotes I remember.  "Rattling cage" thing that everybody knows was Bristol in 99, not Richmond in 86.  And why not show the pass in the grass?  That was a pretty memorable thing, more so than Richmond to me.  And both were before my time.  Also the quote about putting whatever on their candyass legs was after 99 or 2000 Daytona when they had that stupid 5&5 rule.  Those things
bothered me the most.  That was too much "drammatic license" if
you ask me.  Also the "refuse to lose," was pretty much stolen from
Evernham and the 24 team.  Also a quote attiributed to Jake Elder about "they would need a chainsaw..." was actually said by Cale Yarborough.  It was on the Sports Century special just before the movie on ESPN Classic.  

Also on the HD channel, the sound was off terribly the entire movie, just like the awards show.  We ended up watching it on regular ESPN and then the picture was letterbox, too dark and stretched to fit our screen on the sides, but at least the mouths weren't moving 20 seconds before the words came out.  I don't know what the problem is some of these channels that they can't sinq the sound on HD.  CBS has been doing it successfully for years.  

So for the script, I give ESPN about a C.  

What did the rest of you think?  I know about Sally as she wrote me privately.  Can't believe somebody didn't already start a thread on this.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 05:57:36 PM »

OK, Cheryl, it's up to me again... :lol:

I noticed many of the same problems with the script.  I cannot believe some of the quotes.  As the WWE's Booker T says, "Did you really say that?"

The most absurd line was when Barry Pepper as Dale said, "I believe that in ten years, we'll draw bigger TV ratings than baseball," then Elizabeth Mitchell as Teresa came back with, "maybe five years," then Dale said something like, "I'll be able to sell my signature for lots of money."  Those who really knew him would tell you that he never had those thoughts in his life, at least not in 1985 while watching Dale Jr. in a go-kart.

And did Earnhardt really tell Neil Bonnett that he could "see the car's draft" only after a long pause?

There were other major problems.

The 2001 Daytona 500 starting grid was inaccurate.  That year, there was no #75 team, let alone one sponsored by Remington.  The "rainbow" car was being phased out and this was the first race for the flames on the Jeff Gordon car.

Another scene depicting Earnhardt's debut in Winston Cup racing read, "Charlotte Motor Speedway, 1978."  Sorry, his debut was indeed at the World 600 there, but in 1975.

Oh, and since this is an ESPN movie, let's make up two stories on SportsCenter, one about Earnhardt's rookie of the year in 1979, and another on his championship the next year.  (By the way, the DVD will be released Tuesday, in record time.)

Then there was the ending.  Of course, the crash is not shown, but why did the scene cut to when Dale was working at Cannon Mills?  A better scene would have taken place outside the race track or at Dale Earnhardt Inc., where large crowds had gathered to make a shrine.

Then again, it's just a movie :lol:

I will join Cheryl in praising Pepper's performance.  For a Canadian actor who admitted to knowing nothing about NASCAR when he was selected for the project, he pulled it off very well.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 06:43:48 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
The most absurd line was when Barry Pepper as Dale said, "I believe that in ten years, we'll draw bigger TV ratings than baseball," then Elizabeth Mitchell as Teresa came back with, "maybe five years," then Dale said something like, "I'll be able to sell my signature for lots of money."  Those who really knew him would tell you that he never had those thoughts in his life, at least not in 1985 while watching Dale Jr. in a go-kart.

And did Earnhardt really tell Neil Bonnett that he could "see the car's draft" only after a long pause?

Oh, thank you, Desmond, for mentioning those two things that I forgot to mention!  Yeah, you really need to worry about the air, let alone "see the air" at a short track.  I remember yelling at the time how absurd that comment was for wherever he was running at the time.

Also, the part about predicting how big NASCAR would be seemed like ESPN was trying to suck up to NASCAR or something.  I agree it is extremely unlikely he or Teresa said anything along those lines that far back.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 10:33:12 PM »

I been thinking and thunking about that movie..... :?

So many thing bothered me.  To start with, Dale did have messy hair and looked rough but I don't recall him ever really looking 'greasy' like Pepper came across looking that way at times.  I don't remember ever hearing that Dale had horrendous nightmares.  I think Jerry Punch said the same.  And I am sure no one ever knew what went on in his and Teresa's bedroom.  I believe Neil Bonnet was a rather soft spoken man and I am sure he got riled at times but I do not like to think he was the brash, racous (spell?) person they portrayed him as.  I know he probably cursed, but I could in no way associate that character with Neil.  I don't think I liked the person they chose to portray Jr.  As far as Waltrip was concerned, I was just reminded why I didn't like his 'better and holier than thou' attitude and mouth then and still don't.  The man playing Humpy was great.  The person playing Junior Johnson was so-so.  I could take that one or leave it.  No biggy to me.

Cheryl wrote:

But the real weakness to me was the whole script.

That sums up a lot of it.   They had a lot of the cars incorrect, a lot of the sequence of races were not proper in time or events.  Also the remarks about rattling someone's cage was another out of sequence event. They tried to do too much in too little time and missed a lot of the stuff this fan would rather have seen.  For instance, his copy writing of his signature and the whole thing with the "3". The building of his DEI Empire should have been included.   How did all that really come about?  They did not show the depth of his and Richard Childress's friendship.  

I know Jr was looking forward to it, so the reports go and that Pepper talked to him a lot.  Did anyone ever talk to Teresa or Childress and what their take was on the whole thing?

All in all, I think this was just a glamorized and partially made up story about a man who ESPN is exploiting even more.

Cheryl also wrote:

Can't believe somebody didn't already start a thread on this.

Maybe the reason for that is that people are still thinking on it and what a let down it turned out to be as was the case with me.  

I am sure some people really enjoyed it and they did bring across the fact that he was 'driven' to race and that seemed to be the main theme of the movie.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.   :wink:
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 06:00:43 PM »

I question the accuracy of events in the movie i do not think certain things happened the way they tried to portray them.

But as someone else said it,s just a movie.

But i don,t think some of those events that occured were accurate or true in real life that were shown in the movie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: