November 21, 2017, 09:09:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gatorade Duel at Daytona  (Read 1186 times)
17RoushFan
Veteran

« on: December 17, 2004, 07:26:58 AM »

The Gatorade 125's are now going to be twin-150 milers. This could be a pretty good change.

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/10432038.htm

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
sally
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 11:43:01 AM »

Do you really think it's that big a deal?  Another 25 miles just seems like more opportunity to wreck to me.  But, they get people at the track longer...to spend more $$.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 01:59:39 PM »

I don't know what I think about this change.  Sally may be on the right track though.  Plus, the last 3 years or so, the Twin 125s have been snorefests if you ask me.  Why prolong the agony with more laps of a single-file parade?

It's so ironic that before 2001, I was so desperate to see/hear these races live.  In 1992, I went to Daytona just to see the 125-milers and the IROC race live.  Then in about 2000, I listened to them on a scratchy AM-station during lunch when I was working in DC.  When Fox took over the broadcasts in 2001 and they were live for the first time, I remember Lou and I taking off half day from work to rush home and excitedly watch them live.  That was the year that Sterling got the first win for Dodge.  Really exciting.  Then the next year, we did the same thing and the races were nothing but a parade, and we found ourselves wondering why we'd wasted vacation time to watch them live.  Last year, we didn't even bother; just watched it on Tivo when we got home from work.  Each year since the new TV contract, we've lost more and more interest (just like everything else in racing).  I can't even tell you who won the last 3 years...I hate to be so negative (I really do), but it's to the point, I don't even care about these races anymore or the Busch Clash (Bud Shootout).  Besides, now, with the top 35 guaranteed spots in the race, what really is the point of the 125s?  To see which fringe teams get into the Daytona 500?  Yee-haw.... :roll:

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 04:54:18 PM »

It'll be pretty strange not to call them "Twin 125s" anymore.

Cheryl mentioned how these races have turned into parades.  If that's true (and I haven't seen them in a long time), that would be mystifying, because you would think that the drivers would go all out to secure a better qualifying position.  It may have something to do with the dreaded "aero push."

Also, the race has always had a mandatory pit stop under green.  Will teams now add a second stop to their strategy?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 08:56:52 PM »

May not be too good but then it is racing of sorts so I guess I will watch and cheer someone on.  As I have said so many times, I am addicted and with not much other stuff on tv, it will be good to see the cars again.

I truly am going to try to be more optimistic this next season.   :wink:
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 07:06:50 AM »

Yes, it may be possible that we get a follow-the-leader race, especially if there are no cautions, but historically, the Daytona 500 winners have started in the top ten, which will be extra motivation if the driver starts at the back. Plus, it's not really the sprint race as before, especially if the tires are as soft as they were last February, and as Desmond said, I think there may be a yellow somewhere in the first part of the race that prevents everyone from making it on one stop. It also will likely mean that everyone tries four tires, in spite of what Wimmer was able to do last year.

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 04:31:26 PM »

Smiley i'm not sure how i feel about this change but sally is right about one thing this will make the track more money and that's a bad thing!
sally
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 06:24:56 PM »

Just think how much more time the 'fans' will have to enjoy (read "spend $$") at that new amusement park they are putting in the infield!
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 11:18:19 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Just think how much more time the 'fans' will have to enjoy (read "spend $$") at that new amusement park they are putting in the infield!

Uh...I don't think the average fan will be able to acess all the stuff they're putting in the infield.  It's for the "more upscale" campers and all, wtih lakefront lot's going for $1500+ from what I've heard.  ISC is doing their best to get rid of those folks camping in those "unsightly" U-hauls and tents...

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 04:55:13 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"

what really is the point of the 125s?  To see which fringe teams get into the Daytona 500?  Yee-haw.... :roll:
Cheryl

Thats why I enjoyed them Cheesy  Cheesy

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 06:39:59 PM »

I am glad they have them.  More racing (?) to watch.  Actually due to the shortness of these races, I think I enjoy them because they are not so drawn out and after all, it is Daytona.  Sometimes the 500 gets boring because it is so long.  I do like the short ones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: