November 20, 2017, 10:25:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New York Here They Come!  (Read 4809 times)
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« on: December 16, 2004, 01:30:53 PM »

Taking the next step towards a NY track on the circuit, NASCAR, I mean ISC, I mean NASCAR, I mean ISC pays $100 million for Staten Island site!

December 16, 2004

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- International Speedway Corp. has paid $100 million to buy land in Staten Island to build a New York City track.

The company, which owns or operates 11 of NASCAR's major tracks, hopes to build a $600 million facility on dormant industrial land. Officials said Wednesday it could represent the largest construction project the motorsports giant has undertaken, nearly triple the amount it spent to build tracks in Kansas City, Kan., and the Chicago area.

Here is the rest of the article - http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-newyork&prov=ap&type=lgns

Lou

alfers
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 03:25:19 PM »

It's true, Brian is the biggest idiot on earth.  Oh, I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to bash individuals in here.
Let me rephrase, The son of prior NASCAR CEO suffers from an intelligence difficiency.  Perhaps he requires proper guidance in business deals.
sally
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 06:36:57 PM »

Do you suppose that ISC/Nascar is really that naive about NYC politics, or have they just become drunk on their 'power' within the racing community?  Building a track with very little money from ISC is not going to fly there.  It's different investing that sort of $$ in a footaball stadioum that can be used 8 or 9 times a year, or a baseball stacium that is used MANY times a season, and a track with one...or two dates a year.  That's what killed the ssite they chose for the track in the northeast, after all. :roll:

Sally
alfers
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 07:08:33 PM »

In that article it states after the survey is complete they will decide on a race track or some other complex.

As for the difference between that track and WA, WA was going to require some 80 million dollars in highway modifications the residents did not want to foot the bill for, especially for one or two events per year.  

I agree, in the end ISC will be looking for some other tax breaks or state funded assistance and they WON'T get it.  Especially with Hillary involved, she thought race tracks supported gas guzzling wastes of money.  

While I lived in NYC, that Goethals bridge was always under construction.  Good luck getting those haulers in and out of there.
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 10:14:09 PM »

Washington would definitely require some hiway modifications.  Sometimes it takes 2 hours to go 40 miles in the Tacoma, Seattle and Everett areas which is near the proposed site that now seems out of the question for the area.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 04:35:20 PM »

this track has no shot of being approve because mayor bloomberg won't support it.also they would have to put up at least 50% of the money and i'm pretty sure isc won't plus the traffic concerns are a big concern.wait until you guys try to attend a race here i'd advise you not to bring a car.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 11:20:25 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
wait until you guys try to attend a race here i'd advise you not to bring a car.

I'm certainly not planning on attending a race in NYC, Ron.  :lol:   Sorry, just had to...Lou and I are going to LESS congested race tracks, not more crowded areas...

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 02:44:48 AM »

I must be wierd or something...OK, no wise cracks...but NYC is the LAST place i'd want to go to see a race!  I go to a RACE.  If I go to NYC it would be for plays and shopping.  No time for a race.  That's one of the reasons I like Martinsville and Bristol...ain't nuthin' around but the track!  Besides, with practice, qualifying, and racing, who has time to do anything else?  I guess I'm just not into 'vacation destinations' when I'm going to the track.  Guess you can tell I'm an OLD fan, eh?
Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 10:13:58 PM »

You know, one of the raps against Darlington, as I recall, was that there was little other things, in the line of entertainment I guess, around that area. My reaction to that was DUH- with one of the most exciting race tracks around the country, who needed more entertainment???
  There I go, thinking like a RACE fan again. Shame on me. :roll:
Dick (all I want for Christmas is a little blue helmet) H.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 10:28:06 PM »

Shame on you is right!  Don't you know that Nascar is an "entertainment" now, NOT a sport?  They want tracks in 'vacation destinations'.  Stupid.  By the time I drive back and forth from the track for the quals and practice, grab a meal, then get to bed early enough to try to beat the worst of the traffic to the track, I don't have TIME to do anything else, anyway!  Besides, who wants to pay for a motel room any longer than it takes to see the race?  How much time do those guys in Daytona think we can take off work, anyway?

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 11:50:40 PM »

Come on, Sally. Does Brian look like he ever really WORKED adayin his life?? :lol:

William James
sally
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 02:43:19 AM »

SURE he has...for his Daddy.  You know how precarious THAT must have been, right?
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 02:21:01 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
You know, one of the raps against Darlington, as I recall, was that there was little other things, in the line of entertainment I guess, around that area. My reaction to that was DUH- with one of the most exciting race tracks around the country, who needed more entertainment???
  There I go, thinking like a RACE fan again. Shame on me. :roll:
Dick (all I want for Christmas is a little blue helmet) H.

Only 14 more posts to go, Dick, and you'll get it!  Better work on thinking up things to talk about.   :lol:

As to Darlington, I don't agree about "vacation destinations" either, cause for me a racetrack IS a vacation destination.  However, IMHO you have one of the best vacation areas in the south about 40 miles from Darlington:  Myrtle Beach.  Both times I went to Darlington, that is where I stayed.  So I was able to enjoy the beach along with the race track.  What more can you ask?  Oh yeah, I guess the "new" fans need the glitz of Las Vegas slots or NYC, right?  IMO, anybody who needs that type of distraction isn't really a race fan in the first place.  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 03:52:58 PM »

Cheryl, I got excited just by driving by Darlington on my way to Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago. I mean DARLINGTON,!!!!!! the epitome of all good things Nascar, right? I thought then I really need to go there for a race, (but not in November). Oh well... :cry:

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 04:31:01 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
Cheryl, I got excited just by driving by Darlington on my way to Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago. I mean DARLINGTON,!!!!!! the epitome of all good things Nascar, right? I thought then I really need to go there for a race, (but not in November). Oh well... :cry:

Well, remember next year's [lone] race in in May (Mothers Day weekend).  Why not take Roberta there to celebrate?   :lol:

Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: