November 22, 2017, 09:23:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New York Here They Come!  (Read 4826 times)
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 04:53:47 PM »

All I know about NYC and Nascar is what I read in the NY Post, the Daily News and when I flip thru the Times and that is nothing. During banquet week the Post had nothing and I flipped thru the Times and saw nothing. The Daily News did have a photo section in it's Sunday photo magazine insert. When the local cable provider carried NYC channels they never showed any Nascar news.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 05:19:07 PM »

If I could get some of the grandkids to go to Myrtle Beach with her, that just might work, MIGHT, YOU KNOW.... :lol:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 05:29:49 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
If I could get some of the grandkids to go to Myrtle Beach with her, that just might work, MIGHT, YOU KNOW.... :lol:

Sounds like a wonderful vacaton to me!  Go there early in the year before it gets so crowded.  I used to go to Myrtle Beach on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends, BEFORE I got into racing.  But I like the racetrack much more than I ever cared for the beach.  Haha!  Talk about being weird, huh?   :oops:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2004, 06:49:52 PM »

Dick, start a new post so you can get more helmets.  I will answer them and help you out so you are there by Christmas.   :wink:

If I went to Darlington, I would spend most of my waking hours at the track.  I think Bristol would be the greatest to go to.  Also, Richmond and Martinsville.  The only one I have ever been to is Daytona and it was a definite thrill and I loved all the races when I would go.  Usually during Speed Weeks so would get to see a lot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2004, 08:20:10 PM »

Frankly, Vivian, I don't think I would go back to Daytona, but it is something you have to see at least once.
Now that I have some short track experience, I prefer the shorter tracks, even the 11/2 mile cookie cutters.

William James
Vivian
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2004, 01:37:11 AM »

Hi Dick!  Actually, I used to live in Orlando so went to Daytona a lot.  two of my brothers still live in Central Florida so when I go to visit I have to time it either in February or at Thanksgiving.  I loved being at Daytona.  Back then it was real racing.  If I happen to go back again in February, I will try to make Daytona as that is where my roots in being a fan started.  Along with the local track in Orlando which is now defunct and replaced with other ones.  Times do change, don't they?
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 04:00:53 PM »

Ok I thought there was no bashing on here but I read this thread and the new fans are getting a beating again.  I am a new fan and I proudly state that when I go on vacation to a race I also look for what else the area has to offer.  Usually my hubby and I use our time share for accommodations and we have a whole week (8 days).  So three days of racing and four days of sightseeing and doing other things.  Is this a crime?  I don't think so.  While I agree the traffic in NY would be a bear, I would consider going to that race - three days of racing and four days of playing in NYC!

Give us "new" fans a break.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 08:47:06 PM »

Hey, sorry about that. No offense intended.
Except for Las Vegas, my trips to the races have always been primarily for the race. Even at Vegas, I would not have paid the room rate that I did for a room had it not been for the race.
  Other attractions are nice, I guess, just have not been that important to me.
  Again, no offense intended.
Dick Smiley

William James
Vivian
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2004, 09:34:57 PM »

Hey Beth, glad to have you back.   Smiley It has been a while. Saw you had a couple of posts lately but were gone for a while.  Check your email...

No offense intended from me either.  Sometimes I think it is hard for us old fogies to totally understand all the new theories even though we understand the changes, just not why so many changes.  Don't ever think we are bashing the new fans.  That just is not true.  I think it is the turn the sport has taken that has us up in arms at times.  Not the fans...
sally
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 10:38:00 PM »

Sorry Beth, didn't think amy of us made reference to new or old there.  My point was just that I go to see the race.  That's all the time I can afford to take off work...Thurs. thru Monday.  Going to the raceIS myvacation.  Guess I just don't worry about what's around, except the racing.  Got no interest in gambling, so Vegas doesn't appeal to me, and I'm not that fond of big cities.  I love the older tracks out in the middle of nowhere...but that's just my preference.

Sally
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2004, 04:39:49 PM »

Didn't mean to sound so serious.  I meant it more like teasing - tongue in cheek.  The only reason we go for a week at a time is because we have the timeshare.  We stayed this year in Vegas for seven nights and it only cost us $129.  I could not do it if I had to pay that or more per night.  We get a lot of vacation time where I work - 5 weeks per year plus we can carry over about six weeks from the previous year.

Being born and raised in NY I am definitely a city girl.  My husband and I both like to socialize and have fun.  We have no kids so we can spend our money on toys and vacations and such.  Believe it or not though he really wants to go to Bristol so I will be looking for timeshares in the vicinity in the near future.  Me - I want to eventually go to Daytona (July race), Charlotte and Homestead.   This year we went to Hawaii so 2005 we are not planning any big vacations - just Vegas.  And believe it or not we do not gamble that much when we go.  I think this year we gambled one night for a few hours and that was it.

sally
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2004, 04:44:48 PM »

Sorry Beth!  Guess the Post Shopping Stress caught up with me...that, and the 5 inches of snow we got overnight!  Never been so glad that I don't have to go to work today!

You'll love Bristol!  Good luck finding someplace to stay that isn't a gouge!  Staci and I have a great time, and I really look forward to going every year.

Have a great Xmas!
Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2004, 05:14:11 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Sorry Beth!  Guess the Post Shopping Stress caught up with me...that, and the 5 inches of snow we got overnight!  Never been so glad that I don't have to go to work today!

You'll love Bristol!  Good luck finding someplace to stay that isn't a gouge!  Staci and I have a great time, and I really look forward to going every year.

Have a great Xmas!
Sally

FIVE INCHES OF SNOW!!!
Sally, let me tell you about SNOW. Cheesy
We got a bunch, well over a foot.
See ya.
D ick

William James
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2004, 07:18:33 PM »

LOL..here in sunny AZ I was complaining about the 38 degree temps this morning! :shock:   What is the nearest town to Bristol.  Our timeshares tend to be close to them.  I will have to check our network.  And if we flew in, what airport?

sally
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2004, 12:44:04 AM »

Dick, you have my sympathy!  Ohio got Staci and me coming home from the March race at Bristol in '01...blizzard the lenght and width of the state!  We had always thought it would be a cold day in hell before we were lucky enought to get Bristol tickets, and, well...a blizzard in Ohio is pretty close!  Got an E mail from a friend in Columbus today you should appreciate:
new snow scraper...$5
new wiper blades...$20
not having to go to work...priceless!

Sally
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: