November 23, 2017, 02:00:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bestwick and Weber switch?  (Read 1783 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: December 07, 2004, 06:15:23 PM »

Wow!  If this is true, what a big switch:

From Jayski:

"UPDATE: hearing that NBC play-by-play broadcaster, Allen Bestwick will switch spots with War-Wagon Pre-race host and lead pit reporter Bill Weber in 2005 for the NBC/TNT televised races. Bestwick would act as a host and handle the War-Wagon and interviews and Weber would handle the play-by-play/anchor of the race. Weber subbed for an injured Bestwick at Kansas and Talladega, when Bestwick broke his leg. No idea if Bestwick would handle pit road reporting, of if NBC/TNT would hire a 4th person or just go with three as they did when Bestwick was out.(12-2-2004)
UPDATE: being told by a few TV sources that this is true and will happen.(12-6-2004)"

Can't believe no one else saw this rumor as it appears to have been around since last Thursday.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 09:29:54 PM »

If it is true, maybe it will take some of the silliness out of the booth.  But then I don't think I like Bill's 'drama' that much.  But either way will be fine.  Maybe Alan's plate is just too full right now and he needs time for other things so wants to take a break without having to keep so many notes.  Who knows?  Anything they do will probably not have an effect on whether I watch or not.  I will watch but not with the same dedication I once had.  Too much about the racing itself has changed.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 02:04:15 PM »

Just saw this on Jayski today:

"NASCAR on NBC announces Bill Weber and Allen Bestwick will switch roles next season, with Weber serving as the lead anchor in the booth and Bestwick hosting the pre-race show.(NASCAR Scene)(12-13-2004)"

Pretty shocking really, if you ask me.  Big "promotion" for Bill, but maybe Allen is tired of the pressure of being the anchor.  I'd like to think he's sick of having to continually insult the viewers by telling them, "this gives us an opportunity to sneak  in another commercial..."   :wink:

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 05:05:03 PM »

Cheryl, is Bill weber the clown who co hosted the awards banquet?
If so, this is a step backwards in my opinion.

BTW, how is your shoulder?
Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 05:37:34 PM »

I'll miss Allen as play-by-play too.  He's the "best" we have at the moment, no pun intended.

Also, Bob Dillner and Mark Garrow are being considered as pit reporters, replacing Bill Weber.  Just a feeling, no real sources.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 06:23:08 PM »

Hi folks,

I haven't had time to comment on some things lately due to family illness and trying to start my home business, but I have been looking in once and a while.

The deal with Allen and Bill, I don't like it at all.  Allen does a great job for what he has to work with.  Bill is not in the same category as Allen (IMO).  Maybe Allen is going to mirror Chris Myers' duties.  Could help with the driver in the back, I don't know.  We will find out in July.

John

PS:  Cheryl, hope your shoulder is healing well.  That's what you get for throwing things at the TV on Sunday afternoons!

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 06:52:30 PM »

Quote from: "John"
PS:  Cheryl, hope your shoulder is healing well.  That's what you get for throwing things at the TV on Sunday afternoons!

Thanks, Dick and John for asking about the shoulder.  I don't have much pain left from the surgery, but am still in a sling which is becoming increasingly frustrating to deal with every day.  Lou has been very kind in helping me dress every day and with washing my hair.  I start therapy on Wednesday, so hopefully, I can lose the sling in a record time after that.  It can't be soon enough for either of us.   :wink:  

As to my problems being caused by throwing things at the TV during race broadcasts, if it was my right hand, maybe, I could blame it on that.  Haha!  I guess I'm lucky it is my left-shoulder, though you don't realize how much you need two good arms for every day activities, even if you are right-handed.  Again, thanks everyone for asking about me!  Obviously, I have "improved" enough to type with both hands already.   :lol:

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 07:00:03 PM »

I guess NBC felt they neede someone as annoying as DW on their half of the season.  I think they have found him.  The thought of listening to Weber's ponderous, pontificating purple prose throughout an entire broadcast is another nail in the coffin.    Oh!  To throw in the obligatory 'other' sports analogy the Weber feels obligated to use, I guess he's going for the 'long ball' instead of sprinting down pit road.  Oy.

Sally :roll:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 07:07:54 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
I guess NBC felt they neede someone as annoying as DW on their half of the season.  I think they have found him.  The thought of listening to Weber's ponderous, pontificating purple prose throughout an entire broadcast is another nail in the coffin.    Oh!  To throw in the obligatory 'other' sports analogy the Weber feels obligated to use, I guess he's going for the 'long ball' instead of sprinting down pit road.

In general, I like Bill fine, but I do prefer Allen as the anchor.  Bill is certainly NOT into as much self-promotion as DW, so you really can't compare the two.  As to the other sports analogies, Allen's "holding serve" comment he feels obligated to use every is more annoying than anything Weber has ever said.  JMHO...

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 08:49:54 PM »

Wow! "ponderous, pontifcating purple prose"?
Sally ought to get some kind of award for coming up with that one.
Actually, I agree. Weber absolutely flopped at the Banquet and, comes off as condescending in my opinion. :lol:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 10:16:21 PM »

Thanks, Dick.  I was just trying to equal Bill Weber in his overblown style.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 10:00:17 PM »

Hey, John, welcome back!

As far as them switching I am not sure how I feel about it.  I liked Alan real well until the last few races and he just seemed to change.  As he did with Inside Nextel Cup, IMO.

Bill Weber is okay if he will stop overplaying the "drama" when he is trying to interview someone.  

We just have to realize "the good days are really over for good".
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 04:38:32 PM »

i think this change is good for the fans and nbc.i love bill weber and i think that alan is more suited for the prerace and pitroad duties than people think. Cheesy  Cheesy
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 03:36:47 AM »

From Jayski:

UPDATE 2: NASCAR on NBC announces Bill Weber and Allen Bestwick will switch roles next season, with Weber serving as the lead anchor in the both and Bestwick hosting the pre-race show.(NASCAR Scene)(12-13-2004)

It doesn't say Allen will be doing pit road duties.  Maybe this will be NBC's way of covering the rest of the field with Allen in their version of the "hollywood hotel" while the boys in the both cover the top 5 and wherever Jr is.  They couldn't use the "war wagon" during the race due to the noise factor.  Just a thought.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 09:09:59 PM »

Since things are changing so much in NASCAR, maybe this will result in a good change.  I don't think I will mind too much.  Although Bill is rather 'dramatic', maybe in the booth he will be different.  Also, Alan might think he is in a rut, so the change could be good for him.  As far as Inside Cup (do ya'll notice I never say Nextel?  :wink: ), it is really Mikey's show and will remain so.  JMO....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: