November 23, 2017, 11:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compare and Contrast  (Read 1044 times)
maxcres
Sophmore

« on: March 13, 2004, 05:50:33 PM »

Last night I watched two races in my archives.  One was the 1997 Food City 500 won by Jeff Gordon's last corner pass of Rusty Wallace.  The other was last year's Food City 500 won by Kurt Busch.  Espn anounced the 1997 race, while fox announced 2003's race.  As I sat and LISTENED, I realized that back then the sound of the motor was more evident, meaning you could really feel the horsepower in the cars.  Also, the announcers voices never seem to drount out the raw sound of the race.  This is not too bash fox, because I throw NBC in the boat as well.  The sounds of the broadcast were more authentic back then in my view. It was almost as if the announcers mic was turned to just the right volume that would be loud enough for the audience to hear yet still allowing for the true and pure essence of the sport to come through in sound.
I want everybody at NBC, and especially fox to know that maybe if relax your coveraged a bit in it's sound, the true sounds of the race itself will be more enjoyable.  I tune in the for the sights and sounds of the RACE, not the extrraneous things involved. Just a thought, I guess.

PhilliP
sally
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »

Phillip, I think most things were more authentic back then.  That was still before sponsors picked the drivers, Nascar had zillions of "official sponsors", and TV was trying to recoup 2.4 billion dollars.  In spite of the success of Nascar, TV seems to feel they need LOTS more flash and babble instead of letting the racing "speak" for itself.  That was also before racing was ENTERTAINMENT"!  And all those years I thought I was being entertained by just the racing!  Wow, am I dumb, or what?  I got by without pointers, virtual garages, or a screen full of graphics.  With the TV numbers down for the last 2 races, maybe fans are starting to make their feelings known.  That seems to be the best...or only...way to get anyone's attention.
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 10:24:53 PM »

Phillip and Sally, you both make excellent points.  I may have to just go back and watch a couple races from my archives as well. I've been wanting to see that spring race from Atlanta where Steve Grissom flipped in the Cartoon Channel (I think) car).  He was okay, but it was a wild wreck.  I'm pretty sure that was an ESPN race, so maybe I check out what Phillip is talking about with the sound too.  I think it was spring 1997.

Cheryl
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 11:25:06 PM »

I have been stopping by this board and this site for a few months now and I enjoy a place to have conversations about our favorite sport.  It has however reminded me that not everyone has the same opinions.  Last week I attempted to have a neutral position on the race and felt the same as Cheryl in her opinion of the race.  Tomorrow I will do the same and then post an opinion in the proper area.  But I have to say this:  I'm a gadget type of person and against the popular opinion here, I love the pointers, the running race ticker and all the other graphics.  And I especially love the "Crank It Up" because I'm one of the people that have a great sound system.  I really feel that these things enhance the coverage especially if you're not paying attention to the announcers, which happens in my case quite often.  

I often found in past ESPN races that I found their sound not as great because they seemed to use the announcer's microphones as the main input and it always sounded like you standing in a glass jar as the traffic went by.  I don't know how else to explain it but you may know what I mean if you ever stood by a glass door near a street, it's just an annoying sound.

While I agree with the opinions of certain "announcers", I'll join in that discussion after tomorrow's race.

Great site and keep the faith.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 11:33:54 PM »

Welcome to the forum, John!

Trust me, I wish I could ignore the announcers more!   Smiley
But some of them make it impossible.

Don't worry that you don't agree with the prevailing opinions here.  We want everybody to voice their opinions in this forum!

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 09:29:58 PM »

WELCOME, John!  Good to have someone with differing opinions and that is what makes this forum great.  We can express our pleasure or displeasure with the broadcasts.  I love the crank it up feature but don't like the pointers as they are distracting to me.  Hope you continue to visit and post with us.   Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: