November 25, 2017, 08:48:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NBC Thrilled With Chase  (Read 569 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: November 17, 2004, 02:46:59 PM »

Like we couldn't already tell...Here's an article from David Poole with quotes from NBC executives.  It doesn't say straight out that they mean to keep NASCAR, but it sounds like they are closer to wanting to than before the Chase.  This doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that ESPN will get a chance to bid on the television rights after 2006.

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/10196762.htm

BTW, I finally got my review of Darlington done it's posted on the main speedcouch page.  Be prepared, it's pretty scathing...

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 03:00:17 PM »

Here's another article from Mike Mulhern on the "success" of the Chase.   I just cannot believe this quote from the NBC executive:

"The truly inspired idea for the 'Chase for the Nextel Cup' has had its supporters and critics along the way, and we've all had to be patient to see the results of the new format. As we approach the final showdown, it is clear that the chase is a resounding success. "

"Truly inspired???"  What a bunch of hooey!  What bothers me is the TV people only look at it as a success with their sponsors, not the fans.  Plus no one seems to mention that the main reason the rating were up this week might have had to do with it being the last Southern 500 or the good racing we always see at Darlington and nothing to do with the Chase.

Here's the link to Mulhern's article:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031779188268&path=!sports!autoracing&s=1037645509202

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 10:56:48 PM »

I just about gagged when I read that they are attributing the sellout at Miami to the new format.  I guess the fact that the reconfigured the track and last year FINALLY had something resembling a race there had nothing to do with it, eh?  All good things come ONLY from the crapshoot, and nothing else has any effect at all. :x
Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: