November 22, 2017, 01:38:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boring Until Last 30 Laps  (Read 775 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: November 01, 2004, 03:45:41 AM »

Lou and I went to a football party today at a friend's house.  We recorded the race on Tivo and just finished watching it.  For most of the race, I was thinking the exact same thing I said about the race here in March:  that NASCAR has now even managed to make Atlanta a boring track.  Just couldn't believe it after the great competition we saw yesterday in the Busch race.  I mean, they had 8 different leaders, with no one really dominating.  Today, it was a runaway until the end.  

Lou is bummed that Mark didn't win and I wouldn't have minded seeing him do it this time.  But I don't care if it's a driver I like, I still don't like anyone having more than 2 second lead on second place.  Today, we saw a 9+ second lead most of the race.  That's my idea of boring.  I'd just rather see close racing for the lead than one car blowing everyone away and lapping the field.  That being said, I have to agree with Mark that the caution when Harvick's car was clearly off the racing surface was uncalled for.  I can't remember the exact sequence of events in the end, but Biffle really did screw his teammate allowing Johnson and Edwards to get by him.  Biffle was numerous laps down and what was he trying to prove getting one of them back at that point in the race?  I don't think they give the free pass to a car 4+ laps down, do they?

Johnson had a good car all and ran top five all day, so you can't say he lucked into it, still, he may not have been able to get past Mark had the sequence of events not happen as it did.  But that's what I like about racing.  You don't kinow what's going to happen.  Many times the guy leading most laps doesn't win.  That's what makes me love racing.  Call me perverse.  Lou kept saying the Mark Martin Wheel of Misfortune would probably hit and, to a certain extent, it did.  At least he didn't blow up like two of his teammates.  Too bad Biffle didn't...I'm amazed Carl Edwards didn't as I predicted him next most likely to blow an engine after Kenseth went out (since his team is really not in it for the points right now)  Glad he didn't.  I really like that kid.

Overall, the end results of Atlanta were quite surprising, particularly how the points shook out.  Now we have 5 and possibly 6 guys back in the points race.  Johnson jumps to 2nd, which is kind of poetic justice since he was so dominant before they started experimenting with engines in the late summer.  I felt SO bad for Busch when he had his problems early though...I know I'm probably the only one around here, but who would've thought they'd blow an engine at Atlanta?

Then you add in Kenseth's engine woes, Gordon's rear gear problems and Earnhardt getting too anxious at the end and wrecking, and we have quite an interesting result at the end of the day.  The ones who gained the most on Busch were Johnson and Martin who everyone was writing off before this week.  Could get interesting...

On the other hand, I hate to think of Baby Brian and NBC drooling over the "success" of this silly playoff format right now.  They don't deserve to be.  Wonder what the "alternate points system" shows after today?  That could be even more interesting...

I'm tired and rambling a bit, so please bear with me...just a few more points I wanted to mention...

1.  Mark was a class act in his post race interview.
2.  Earnhardt appeared to take responsbility for his accident, which is impressive.  I just hope folks don't villify Carl Edwards.  I think he didn't do anything wrong.  I think the 8 got distracted when MM got loose in front of him and forgot Carl was so close.

3.  A Hendrick car winning today was pretty nice in light of all that has happened.  It couldn't have been scripted better.  It does remind you of Steve-Baby winning at Rockingham in 2001.  Personally, I would've loved for it to be Vickers or Labonte in VL today, but Johnson getting three in a row is pretty cool too.  What a testiment to Randy Dorton engines and Rick Hendrick's organization!

4.  Johnson getting the flag and doing the Polish Victory Lap was SO neat!  I wish to hell they'd all show Terry's class and stop doing those childish burnouts.  Plus the Polish victory lap was SO appropriate to honor the group who died as Kulwicki did in 1993.  Jimmie seemed truly overwhelmed when he got to Victory Lane.  Did you see his hands shaking?  

5.  I'll mention more in my review, but Bill Weber was just a bit too drammatic at the end; whispering in the background, commentating on "Jimmie takes a deep breath..."  Glad he shut up when the 4 Hendrick drivers hugged each other.  That was a truly poignant moment and didn't need any play by play.

6.  In the last few laps, when the cars were 3 by 3 there for a lap or so, I forgot all the boring laps, got re-energized and was yelling "ONLY IN ATLANTA!!!"  and was hoping we'd see a finish like the Earnhardt/Bobby Labonte finish in 2000 or the Harvick/Gordon finish in 2001.  It would have been SO cool for Martin to catch Johnson and have that type of finish today.  It's really a shame he didn't happen....

7.  Robby Gordon impressed me today with his ability to run up high and not smack the wall. Not sure what happened to him at the end, but he looked to really be a contender for most of the day.

Okay, I'm done rambling.  Sorry for my stream of consciouness tonight.  

Cheryl
fendersforall
Sophmore

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 02:32:02 PM »

Bill Weber must go!!!    He drained every last ounce out of the situation like syrup dripping from the screen during the young and the restless....
This race should've been on Lifetime.....

And would someone please tell Mark Martin that with these Goodyears you gotta pit for four every time the yellow flies....

mike
alfers
Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 02:53:39 PM »

NBC was milking the Hendrick situation for all it was worth.  All of the prerace, and most of the postrace.  I realize last week's episode weighed heavily on their hearts but for NBC to utilize the incident to boost ratings was a little much.
I was particularly against the Hendrick team interviews after introduction.  NBC made a point to state they would interview the Hendrick drivers but were instructed NOT to ask about the previous weekend in their interviews.  Yet 4 out of 5 of those interviewed brought the subject up on their own.
And as for Mark's needing a reminder on tires, seems some didn't see his post race interview.  He stated they were in a lose - lose situation.  If they came down pit road for tires, all of the cars behind him would have stayed out.  If they don't come in, all of those behind him come in.  
The million dollar question posed to NASCAR, why throw the caution for Harvick at all?  He was safely down pit road and out of harm's way.  His crew could have gone down there and pushed him behind the wall.  Surely if he stalled the car coming out of his box they would have pushed him as far down pit road as needed to restart the car.  
And one more point, I'd be curious to see the replay of exactly where Kevin was when his problem developed.  It appeared to me he intentionally by-passed the pit road opening and went all the way around the track on the apron.  He could have even turned in at the exit of pit road to get his car behind the pit wall.  
NBC needed some drama to boost the ratings.  They got it with the "Story Book Ending."  
Frankly, I watch racing to see racing.   I watch movies and read books for "Story Book Endings."
fendersforall
Sophmore

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 03:10:49 PM »

OOooh, are you hinting that some sort of fix was in...Huh?
Keep it coming...

Mike
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 04:21:14 PM »

Quote from: "fendersforall"
OOooh, are you hinting that some sort of fix was in...Huh?
Keep it coming...

Not only was Harvick in on "the Call," so was Martin's teammate, Biffle.   :lol:  

If you want to talk conspiracy theories, what about that non-call in the Busch race Saturday?  Supposedly the driver bringing out the caution is not eligible to get the free pass.  I wouldn't have even thought anything about that had TV not been going on and on about that exact point during the Martinsville broadcast (which I'd just watched on Wed & Thurs).  Then Saturday, the TV guys were quick to assure us Truex would not get back on the lead lap since it was the debris from his flat tire that brought out the caution.  Next thing we hear a confounded Allen, Wally and Benny doing some quick backpedaling when the powers that be awarded the free pass to him anyway.  They were clearly as confused about that ruling as I was.  Even the reporters on Pit Bull later seemed in agreement that something odd happened there.  And those guys almost never agree on anything.   :lol:   I suppose it was that caveat in the rulebook that said something like "A driver shall not get the free pass when he brings out the caution unless it was because of debris from a mechanical failture outside his control...or if his car number is 3 or 8" as they laughed about on Pit Bull.   :wink:

It's all just so ridiculous these days...rules changing every week, selective interpretation, all appearances of "the call," etc.  If NASCAR really wanted to ensure a feelgood win for Hendrick, someone would have used the "master control" joystick up in the tower so Kyle Busch would move past Kenseth on Saturday.  After all, that was Ricky Hendrick's team...

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »

Maybe bill weber got a little overdramatic yesterday since yesterday was halloween who knows?

The way he was talking reminded me of some movie where a guy talked and sounded similar to the way weber was talking yesterday?

I think the movie i,m thinking of where the guy sounded like that was a horror movie.

I,m not sure though.

But i do think the way weber was acting was a little overdramatic.
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 06:53:21 PM »

I think they took the drama bit too far.  I sometimes am amazed that they are such actors.  They sure like to promote stuff don't they?  And they seem to milk everything for all it is worth.  

I don't ever like any car running away with a large lead.  I don't like seeing that car on tv all by itself just making laps.  I was really happy that there was a little competiton toward the end of the race.  I think Jimmy pushed it for all it had.  He had a purpose with Jeff out of the running for the win, but he seemed to be going above his limits at times.  Great run.

As far as Jr, he was really moving up but just flat screwed up by moving up the track a liittle too soon.  Carl said he tried to let up and seemed to feel very bad about the incident.  But, IMO, he did nothing wrong.

Drama, drama, drama.  I bet all the media loved it.
sally
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 10:22:42 PM »

Yes, Webber and NBC milked the Hendrick tragedy for every last ounce they could.  So much for respecting  their pain and giving them privacy.  And yes, the last caution allowing JJ to catch up seemed...unnecessary.  Jr. never tried to blame anyone but himself for his wreck...wonder if his spotter thought he was clear?

Several times this year (more than usual?) one car has run away from all the competition at the track.  Of course, if it's Kasey Kahne, chances are something will happen to put him out of the race for the lead.

Sally
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 04:35:55 PM »

sally i thought that last caution was because jr was racing for the win and forced the issue don't blame the the spotter.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 05:35:02 PM »

I'm never bored when one of my guys is out front, Cheryl! Especially the 6 car! That said, the 48 earned the victory and to win 3 in a row is almost incredible, so congrats to them.
I thought I heard a radio transmission to Jimmie instructing him to NOT do a burnout. I'm glad he didn't and the victory lap was perfect.
I ddon't think the caution for the 29 car was necessary, but what can you say? Nascar is going to do their thing regardless.
Yes, the camera time on Chad was excessive, and they could have held on a distance shot of the victory lane stuff, instead of getting up so close, but so what? Hopefully we are not going to have such situations very often, so I figured we could live with this time.
 Finally, I agree that our biggest concern shoul be with Baby Brian taking credit for all this "drama". That thought is scary...
See ya, D ick Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: