November 19, 2017, 01:32:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting TV talk  (Read 1115 times)
sally
« on: November 10, 2004, 10:30:34 PM »

I found this very interesting...and true!

http://motorsportsnews.net/lm20041110.html
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 02:43:48 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
I found this very interesting...and true!

http://motorsportsnews.net/lm20041110.html

Interesting article, Sally.  I noticed you had been quiet about ratings since everything says they have been up the last 3 weeks.   :wink:
More than anything I attributed the Charlotte, Martinsville, and Atlanta  ratings being up because they ARE good tracks.  But this article points out they were measuring apples and oranges where Atlanta was compared with last year.  Still, I think being the [truely] fastest track on the circuit always stimulates more interest among fans.  Phoenix is the one that really surprised me.  I can't figure out what to attribute the higher ratings there to...cause I have always viewed it as a boring flat track.  Sorry Beth...just the way I feel.  From what I heard on MRN this week, it sounded like the only thing that make it interesting was the cautions shaking up and then tightening up the field at the end.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 06:32:55 PM »

You're absolutely right about the cautions, Cheryl.  Almost any track, even the 'McTracks' of Chicago and Kansas, etc., and produce interesting races...if there are enough caution flags to keep the field bunched up...and put a lot of cars back on the lead lap with the Charity Lap.  Like you, I can't remember a single race from Arizona that was worth watching.  Guess the record # of cautions changed that big time.  I wonder how long it will be before Nascar decides to throw the caution flag every 40 laps, just to keep things interesting?

Sally

I mean, aside from those 'convenient' debris cautions.
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 10:11:36 PM »

Not meaning to create controversy here, but from most reports, racing is good at most tracks but we don't get to see it on tv.  I do not always agree with that when someone just runs away from the pack, but I guess in the pack there are some good battles.  

Do you people think that Nascar is taking more of a WWE type of show for the future?  I really think it is just show anymore.  And from all reports of more changes, it appears that there will be more of a show.  We have just lost the "Real NASCAR", haven't we?
sally
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 10:35:27 PM »

I'm afraid you have that exactly right, Vivian.  Building all these new 'McTracks" (thanks to Ben Blake for that one), losing the tracks that demand more from a driver than mash the gas and go...to say nothing of the clowns on Fox.  Much as I understand the reasoning, I don't think that guaranteeing anyone a starting spot is the way to go.  Riggs and Wimmer lost out because they weren't fast enough...and some of the part timers were.  Too bad.  We have "aero matched" cars, corporate spokesmen instead of drivers, and if anyone should look at another driver cross-eyed, they're immediately fined.  It's all about the show, not about the racing at all anymore.  We knew that the second they came up with the let's pretend playoff, didn't we?

Sally :cry:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 01:42:21 PM »

Sally, I think we've already seen NA$CAR throw the yellow flag to tighten up the field more often or to keep certain drivers from going a lap down.  It's just not quite as regular as every 40 laps yet.   :wink:

As to the rule change where the top 35 in points get in the field, I'm one who thinks that's not such a bad idea.  I'm sorry but anybody can lease an engine from Hendrick, DEI, etc. and turn one fast lap on the track alone.  But when the race starts, many times they are a hazard to the other 42 cars running.  Personally, I've always hated that one bad lap causes a full-time driver to miss the race (i.e., Jeff Burton in his rookie year back in the mid-90s).  And I hated that Riggs and Wimmer didn't make the field a couple weeks ago so "pre-rookies" like Busch, Truex, Kvapil made it instead, along with folks like Shelmerdine, Shepherd, etc.  I know I may be in the minority, but I think that's not a bad change to the rules.  As tough as sponsorship is these days, how do you tell Valvoline and CAT that their drivers missed the show?

But as Vivian says, too much of the other stuff (Free Pass, Chase, etc). are really making the sport look like WWF and a real joke.

Cheryl
alfers
Veteran

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 03:38:21 PM »

Let's not forget two years back when N8$CAR used to throw the caution for mysterious debris to prevent the fuel runs.  It was almost like watching college football with their TV timeouts.
So I have to agree with most of you in concept.  N8$CAR continues to operate for the dramatic effects bringing stories to the racetrack instead of racing.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 11:13:23 PM »

Have to disagree with you about the Phoenix race.  It was exciting even without the cautions.  TV can really distort things.  I have been going to the Phoenix races since 2001 and they have all been good.  Even the drivers like the track because it has multiple grooves and you can pass.

I found the Atlanta race EXTREMELY boring until the last thirty laps.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 11:07:16 PM »

Certainly, Beth's description is much different than what I've heard from others and I tend to disagree with it.  But everyone needs to get used to it because, starting next year, the Cup series goes there twice a year.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 06:22:26 PM »

I think there is just an excitement about being there in person that cannot ever compare to what we see on tv.  In person you can see the whole track and all the action and watch any driver you wish to.  To me this makes an exciting race.  There is competition at different places on the track that some people are never aware of because they zero in on the most popular drivers.  I have had several people who went to Phoenix tell me the actual racing was good back in the field.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: