November 20, 2017, 08:37:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Totally NASCAR Gone?  (Read 862 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: November 04, 2004, 01:50:07 PM »

Just saw this on Jayski:

"Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal reports that Speed Channel is planning to launch an hourlong show called "NASCAR Nation" to run Monday through Thursday nights next year. The story says Fox Sports' "Totally NASCAR" [FSN 7:30pm/local] will be discontinued. Speed Channel is expected to spend as much as $10 million on production over 40 weeks on the show.(NASCAR Scene)."

Personally, I cannot stand the term, NASCAR (or any type) of "Nation."  It just sounds too cool or hip for my tastes.  Second, it wouldn't break my heart of Totally NASCAR goes away since I almost never watch it anyway.  It just never has been able to compare with RPN2Nite IMHO.  Third, as Desmond I believe, pointed out, FSN seemed to be trying to kill that show anyway, putting it in such a late timeslot recently.  Even if I wanted to watch it, I don't remember what time it was on until it is too late anyway.  Sounds like Fox is migrating more and more stuff to SPEED channel and slowly turning it into NASCAR TV (as so many people feared).  I just think it is is so sad that FSN kills off RPM and once they have, dumps their own show as well.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 04:44:18 PM »

I'm with you, Cheryl.  A few times this year Fox (or speed, can't remember which), had a program I watched for about 10 seconds from the infield at a couple tracks.  It was 'hosted' by a spikey haired kid named(?) Possom.  Yeah,  Right.  Sounds like real NEWS.  I think one of the best programs they have is Nascar Performance with Ray Dunlap hosting (he's great), and 3 crew chiefs.  They answer questions intelligently, and don't talk down as if all fans were village idiots.  That and Pit Bulls are about the only things worth watching as far as Nascar programming these days.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 05:04:39 PM »

The show with the spike-haired kid is called Infield Hot Pass.  Speed Channel shows it on an irregular schedule.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 05:34:05 PM »

Thank Heaven for irregularity!! :lol:
I watched some of the NASCAR PERFORMANCE last night. It is a good show.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 09:33:01 PM »

Out here in the Northwest where the new track will possibly be the two Fox Sports Net shows Totally Nascar maybe 3 nights (10:30 or 11:30pm) only 2 or 3 nights a week.  Usually 2 this time of year so that shows how important Nascar really is out here.   :twisted:   On Tuesday and Wednesday they do show a rerun from the day before rather than live so the only live we get is on Thursday night at 10:30.  Wonder if the new show will get the same respect?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 05:01:19 PM »

Vivian, I would imagine so.  In fact, that would be the biggest reason for a nightly show on the Speed channel.  It would air over all the country at the same time, instead of a schedule around the teams for what the local affiliates have broadcast rights.

On the other hand, more households can get all the FSN affiliates combined than for Speed Channel.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
17RoushFan
Veteran

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 12:21:32 PM »

That stinks to hear! I do not get SPEED channel. I was mad enough that I don't get to see qualifying for 3/4 of the races as well as truck races. It pains me to hear that premium channels get all the good stuff. With cable television dominating sporting events, it may be only a matter of time before SPEED gets the live Nextel Cup races. Now instead of getting detailed nightly news coverage in the NASCAR world, the fans only get to see twenty seconds of highlights on Sportscenter. Sad

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 06:24:01 PM »

17RoushFan,  just curious as to where you live in Texas and what tv availabilty you have for coverage.  I have never lived anywhere with cable so I have Dish.  If you have cable, maybe you and others can do lobbying to get them to carry Speed?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: