November 21, 2017, 07:16:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coke gone?  (Read 1221 times)
sally
« on: October 30, 2004, 12:43:37 PM »

Read on Jayski that Coca Cola may leave Nascar after this year.  Apparently the mess with Power Ade and Victory Lane was just too much hassle for them...and sluggish sales.  I guess Nascar can, indeed, have too many sponsors.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 04:46:02 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Read on Jayski that Coca Cola may leave Nascar after this year.  Apparently the mess with Power Ade and Victory Lane was just too much hassle for them...and sluggish sales.  I guess Nascar can, indeed, have too many sponsors.

I saw your post on this over the weekend and didn't get a chance to reply.  Had to hunt for it today.   :oops:

I guess I've never cared for that silly "Coca-Cola Racing Family."  If you want to sponsor a driver, sponsor ONE driver and make it count.  What coule Ken Schrader or even a Jeff Burton have done with all that money put into their cars instead spread out among Petty, Harvick, Jarrett, etc.?  

But I love Coke and always will regardless of what they do in racing.  

As to the Powerade/Gatorade debacle, I blame NA$CAR for that and selling the same real estate in Victory to two competing companies.  Speaking of sports beverages, did anyone notice that the pit reporters seemed to be doing their part to get each mentioned yesterday?  In the past I would've thought nothing of it, but these days I'm so jaded, I'm skeptical of any sponsor mentions by the networks.  We heard how Mark Martin didn't want any changes to his car under a pitstop, "just a bottle of Gatorade."  Then the next driver (can't remember who) wanted a bottle of "Powerade."  A while after that, I noticed someone else only wanted water (according to the pit reporter).  I guess that driver didn't have a beverage contract.   :lol:   But the whole thing is just becoming SO ridiculous lately...

Cheryl
alfers
Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 07:06:16 PM »

Cheryl,
In defense of the gatorade for Mark Martin, I listened to his scanner all day and those are the exact words that came off the scanner.  They also quoted other traffic such as, no changes.  
They always ask Mark on the radio if he wants a Gatorade on his pit stops.  I really don't think it has anything to do with getting a plug in for Gatorade.  That's what he drinks when he is out on the track.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 07:15:25 PM »

Quote from: "alfers"
Cheryl,
In defense of the gatorade for Mark Martin, I listened to his scanner all day and those are the exact words that came off the scanner.  They also quoted other traffic such as, no changes.  
They always ask Mark on the radio if he wants a Gatorade on his pit stops.  I really don't think it has anything to do with getting a plug in for Gatorade.  That's what he drinks when he is out on the track.

No, Michael, I didn't mean that I thought the drivers weren't actually asking for Gatorade or whatever.  I've heard that myself many times over the years.  I just think it's a little odd that the pit reporters were making sure to tell us which beverage each driver asked for.  Like I said, I would've thought nothing of them repeating what the drivers said verbatim a few years ago, but all of the sudden, it just seems funny that now we hear that so and so wanted "Powerade..."   Does that make sense?  If was almost like the pit reporters felt they had to give equal time after mentioning that Martin wanted Gatorade.   :wink:

BTW, I noticed that during Kenseth's Victory Lane interview on Saturday, he seemed to be doing his best to block the Powerade bottles on his roof, while chugging Gatorade.  So, the "beverage wars" continue...

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 04:37:59 PM »

cheryl coke's sluggish sales have nothing to do with the victory lane thing their soda just isn't selling well.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 04:48:37 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
cheryl coke's sluggish sales have nothing to do with the victory lane thing their soda just isn't selling well.

I don't believe Coke actually has "sluggish" sales at all!  I think the biggest problem right now would be too many new sodas being introduced.  Too many choices, so that splits the "vote" so to speak.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 10:14:42 PM »

It was specifically mentioned that they were embarrassed by the entire Victory Lane mess.

Sally
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 01:55:03 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"

It's no wonder. After Cheryl began her diet this year and stopped drinking her 'beverage of choice' (Coke is a "no-no", too many carbs), their sales must have plunged dramatically! Layoffs probably ensued...

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 05:26:45 PM »

A fella could, I suppose, be a smart aleck and ask what C took up in place of Coke..... Tongue

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 07:35:25 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
A fella could, I suppose, be a smart aleck and ask what C took up in place of Coke..... Tongue

Haha!  Actually you can have 10 Miller Lites for the same amount of carbs in one can of Coke.   :lol:   But seriously, I drink Diet Dr. Pepper in the morning now instead of Coke.  I've never been a coffee drinker, so I have to get my caffene from somewhere.  

Back to that Miller Lite thing.  It sure doesn't seem quite right that a good low-carb beer can be so less fattening than a soda, does it?   :roll:   For me, Coca-Cola has become a secret vice that I only indulge in occasionally now...

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: