November 24, 2017, 12:55:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOX & CBS Renew Their NFL Contract  (Read 770 times)
jw
Wiley Veteran

« on: November 09, 2004, 06:21:37 AM »

This will play a role in what happens to NASCAR's next TV contract.

FOX & CBS agreed to carry NFL games for the next 6 years after the
current contract expires after 2005.  This means FOX will not be able
to carry the second half of the NASCAR Nextel Cup schedule.

ABC & ESPN are still negotiating with NFL about prime time telecasts.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 01:26:05 PM »

Quote from: "jw"
This will play a role in what happens to NASCAR's next TV contract.

FOX & CBS agreed to carry NFL games for the next 6 years after the
current contract expires after 2005.  This means FOX will not be able
to carry the second half of the NASCAR Nextel Cup schedule.

ABC & ESPN are still negotiating with NFL about prime time telecasts.

Yes, when I heard the news this morning on the radio, I thought the same thing; that at least Fox couldn't get a hold of the second half of the race season.   :wink: Now if they'd just find something else to cover from February till July...

In my dreams, I'd like to see NBC and ESPN split the race season.  Because I'm a realist about the commercial increases since 2001.  Even if we are fortunate enough to get ESPN back, I'm sure they would innundate us with commercials now too.  They've seen what a success FOX and NBC have made in selling so many commercials, so they'd probably do the same thing.   :evil:

Cheryl

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 04:35:43 PM »

cheryl it's possible espn won't get the broadcasts because of the new nfl deal with disney.under this deal there could be some offseason programming that could affect the early season telecasts.also i heard a rumor that hbo could bid for the contract would like your opinion on this.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 05:15:28 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
cheryl it's possible espn won't get the broadcasts because of the new nfl deal with disney.under this deal there could be some offseason programming that could affect the early season telecasts.also i heard a rumor that hbo could bid for the contract would like your opinion on this.

Well, I love HBO, so I'd have no problem with them having it; however, they'd have to find somebody better than Bob Costas to announce.   :lol:   But seriously, I can't ever see them doing it.  It would take up too much of their schedule and they're primarily known for movies and now their original series on Sunday nights.  Plus it would amount to "pay per view" for those folks who don't already subscribe to movie channels, so I don't think it would ever happen.  Most folks at least have ESPN on their basic cable or satellite packages.  From what I read on A/V forums, a lot of folks still don't choose to pay extra for HBO.  With me, it's probably more enjoyable these days than ESPN, so I don't have a problem paying for it.

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 04:30:18 PM »

cheryl i think this is where sports in general and nascar in particular is heading.i see in 5 yrs that the daytona500,the super bowl and the ncaa tournament will be broadcast on pay per view jusy like today's hit movies.also what about satellite tv and radio?.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 05:17:19 PM »

I don't think so, Ron.  I've heard such predictions about the Super Bowl for about a decade, yet it's still available over the air, as are all the other big events.  I understand that such a proposal would bring a great outcry from Congress and possibly the FCC as well.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 07:52:06 PM »

desmond i don't think the outcry from the fcc and congress would be enough to stop this fdrom happening.also don't be surprised to see this happening by say 2010.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: