November 20, 2017, 06:55:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Snow Cream????  (Read 701 times)
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« on: October 26, 2004, 02:04:53 AM »

Saw this in a Harris Teeter ad:
 "Remember making Snow Cream? Now you don't have to wait for Winter's first snow. You can enjoy this refreshing nostalgic treat year round"
  The ad shows a common ice cream carton and also a package like fudgesicles or bullet pops.
 Anyone remember this "nostalgic treat"?

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 02:20:35 AM »

Quote from: "drpep (brian)"
Saw this in a Harris Teeter ad:
 "Remember making Snow Cream? Now you don't have to wait for Winter's first snow. You can enjoy this refreshing nostalgic treat year round"
  The ad shows a common ice cream carton and also a package like fudgesicles or bullet pops.
 Anyone remember this "nostalgic treat"?

Haha!  Maybe I'm the only one old enough to remember "snow cream," or at least what I had as a child.  My parents were from North Carolina, so I'm assuming it was a southern thing, but who knows.  You go out and get a bowl for a freshly fallen snow.  Then mix a little milk and vanilla extract in it.  Of course, nowadays with "acid rain" and all that hooey, parents would probably be afraid to feed that to their kids.  Ah....for the simple days of the 60s.   Cheesy

Cheryl "I'm not a curmudgeon for nothing"
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 11:03:52 PM »

As far as the snow cream, I never had any qualms about using freshly fallen snow to make them.  I also used hanging icicles in my tea and soda.  Seems like everything in the higher mountains felt safe enough to use.  It was the greatest thrill driving to work on the freshly fallen snow and making the first tire tracks down the road.  Just so quiet and solitary even on a county road.

If you are high in the mountains you can drink water from a stream if it has been tumbling over a lot of rocks.  It is so pure and most of it is so clear.  We used to scoop it up with a ladle and put it in empty milk jugs and take home when we lived in Northern California.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: