November 24, 2017, 02:59:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Wind Tunnel  (Read 1453 times)
Vivian
« on: October 19, 2004, 05:09:25 PM »

last night, we saw the usual controversial Robin Miller give us his thoughts and opinions.  He is one I don't especially like to listen to but he made a point last night that I totally agree with.  He was talking about Firestone getting into Nascar and summed up the whole thing at the end with the fact that if the money was there, Nascar, aka Brian France, would desert Goodyear who had been loyal to them so many years and go with whoever had the most $$$ to offer when the next contract was up for bid.  This is exactly how I see it.  The official products of Nascar make very good offers to them to stay in the spotlight.  It will always be about $$$$.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 09:37:16 AM »

Ain,t it always about the money anymore to nascar.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 09:47:44 AM »

Since you brought up windtunnel vivian i thought about calling windtunnel but decided against it.

I was trying to get on speed tv,s website so i could e-mail the questions to dave but we all know how slow speed,s website is.

The question i was thinking about asking dave i was going to ask his thoughts on the pay per view broadcast the races for nascar that were on pay per view which he announced i was going to ask him what his thoughts were on those races.

I,ve thought about calling windtunnel and asking him but knowing my luck i would probably forget what i was going to say or pull a willow rosenberg and stutter or get nervous.

I really wonder what dave thought about those broadcasts he may not even remember he announced them who knows.

He may try and forget them. He may have his reasons for forgetting them if he does forget them.
fendersforall
Sophmore

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 02:41:57 PM »

What would your limit be on how much you would pay each week for the Cup race on pay per view...with no commercial interruptions??
5, 10, 15, or maybe 20 $$??

I know I would part with $5 a week for a ppv version of the races.....
even if I had to buy the whole season with the boring tracks included...

mike
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 04:11:59 PM »

I have sent several emails to Despain at Wind Tunnel.  Never got a response.  I think they are so overflooded with calls and email.  They seem to choose a lot of the same people on the calls I have noticed.  I do like the show, but one thing really bugs me.  Sometimes when he has a guest it seems that another driver or an old friend from that series will call in and try to steal the thunder of the one on the show.  That really irritates me.  And of course they are always shown preferential treatment/priority when they call in.  Just goes to show that who you are and who you know gets you in the door or gets you on the phone.   :roll:

Desmond, if I could see a race with decent announcers and no commercials whatsoever, I would pay.  The only problem is there are very few good announcers and they have all left their jobs for one reason or another.  I do like Bestwick and I like Phil Parsons but nowadays, everyone seems to be in show business, not serious announcing.  JMHO - again...
sally
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 09:28:34 PM »

I'm not so sure I'd be willing to put my money so directly in Nascar's pocket.  I would probably just end up at the nearest bar that shows the races.  I bet it wouldn't be too long before certain races would be more expensive to see...like Daytona? :roll:

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 04:37:05 PM »

Vivian,

I agree with you on both points.  We've seen too many good people like Ned Jarrett, Buddy Baker, and Eli Gold bounced from the TV coverage.  And for what? A poor imitation of 1970s Monday Night Football?  

I didn't watch all of last week's UAW-GM Quality 500, but NBC has a new show called The Biggest Loser and Allen Bestwick may have read a promo for it.  Wonder how Benny Parsons reacted :roll:

Of course, don't get me started on Fox, which is getting worse and worse all the time.  Maybe Darrell Waltrip will use the rainout of his scheduled truck series run at Martinsville for some introspection :lol:   Just kidding.

Worse, no one is showing the classic races anymore.  ESPN Classic has gone weeks without showing one.  They rather spend a whole week-plus (!) on showing the same programs about the Yankees and Red Sox.  That's what they did, 24 hours a day for as long as they played that series.

Speed Channel has also given up.  Very disappointing.  But it still airs Past Champions and Men Behind the Wrenches.  Stock Car Legends Reunion is excellent, but is only shown during rain delays.

That's my rant for now...

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 05:31:39 PM »

There are no easy answers.  I think on ESPN Classics that during football and world series season that everything else stops for them.  I know I have never liked any of those shows they have on FX Sports.  Too many show people anymore on all fronts as far as sports announcing goes.  Seems it takes more and more stupidity, JMO, to host sports shows of any kind these days.   :roll:  But then, IMO, that is the way society had deemed to socialize/condition everyone in today's generation.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 05:06:40 AM »

Ned jarrett chose to retire from announcing after espn and cbs stopped broadcasting the races. Plus ned was starting to get up there in age too.

1 of the things i liked about ned was he sounded very smart and knowledgeable about the sport.

Buddy baker is ryan newman,s spotter for the races sometimes.

I remember speed interviewing him last febuary during their daytona coverage.

Eli gold i think he announces sometimes announces the radio broadcasts of the nascar races.

I also saw him announcing some arena football thing on nbc awhile back.

Plus 2 or 3 years ago remember those 2 memphis races in 01 and 02 that were rained out he announced those when the other guys allen wally and benny had to go to martinsville.

Question does anybody have problems with speed the channel itself like where the picture stops or the signal stops or whatever.

I seem to be having problems with the speed channel maybe it,s a problem with our local cable thing.

Or maybe their is a problem with the network itself or maybe the same problem they have with their website is affecting their channel who knows? :roll:
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 03:38:43 PM »

Bryan,

Buddy Baker has actually spent this season spotting for Newman's teammate Brendan Gaughan.  Just for the record.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 12:53:22 PM »

Quote from: "fendersforall"
What would your limit be on how much you would pay each week for the Cup race on pay per view...with no commercial interruptions??

$0.00

But I may be willing to double that if necessary...

Lou

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »

Until the QUALITY of the racing improves, I'm with Lou and wouldn't pay a dime to see it on TV.  And when I say quality, I mean not just getting rid of the aero-dependency of the cars and restrictor plates, but also getting back to more good race tracks...

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 05:03:46 PM »

I'm just as cheap as Lou and Cheryl, lol...  I wouldn't pay a dime to watch the races commercial free. There are simply too many other things to do in this world. If i paid for it, then I'd feel obligated to sit there and not miss a second of the telecast. Heck with that.
  D ick, the"el Cheapo" Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 05:25:02 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
I'm just as cheap as Lou and Cheryl, lol...  I wouldn't pay a dime to watch the races commercial free. There are simply too many other things to do in this world. If i paid for it, then I'd feel obligated to sit there and not miss a second of the telecast. Heck with that.
  D ick, the"el Cheapo" Cheesy

No, you missed my point, Dick.   :lol:  It's not that I wouldn't pay Pay-per-view for races.  I have in the past and would gladly fork over the money for a commercial-free (and DW-free) broadcast again.  It's just that the quality of Winston Cup has suffered so much the last couple of years, I wouldn't pay to watch them now.  Of course, I AM paying for satellite service to bring me Speed, FX and TNT, but thankfully those channels are included in the package I already have.  Or I'd probably have to reconsider whether it's worth it anymore.  

Cheryl
Roberta
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 06:05:07 PM »

Actually, Cheryl, Dick says he did get your point, and agrees. He just didn't express himself well, (other than the cheap part!). IF the racing were better, maybe then it would be worth it, but not now. Yes, we pay to have Speed on our cable, and watch a PPV movie now and then.
 Roberta Smiley

he old Hotrodders far better half
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: