November 25, 2017, 06:53:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Junior Fined 10,000 and 25 points  (Read 1984 times)
alfers
Veteran

« on: October 05, 2004, 03:11:27 PM »

http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/cup/10/05/dearnhardtjr_points/index.html
So many ways to look at this.
Each time Tony was fined like this, he came back to win the following week on a "favorable" call.  Let's see how well Junior does in Kansas.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 03:29:41 PM »

good job by nascar.they have retain a smidgeon of crediblity by fining junior also i predict by next week nbc will go to a 5 second delay to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 03:54:43 PM »

Yeah, smidgeon of credibility is right.   :lol:

It seems like the only fair thing considering Sauter and Hornaday's fines earlier this year.  Granted, I think it is ridiculous to fine or penalize points for cussing on TV/Radio, but as they say, NASCAR made their bed by setting the precedent earlier.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 09:17:20 PM »

It is hard to believe they were consistant.  Glad they were.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 08:10:51 PM »

why are so many people defending jr and saying he shouldn't have been fined.people like jerry bronski at yahoo sports don't have a clue about fairness.
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 10:12:57 PM »

Ron, I am a Jr fan but I think the fines were fair considering that they were consistant with ones in the past for other drivers.

I think that since Dale's death, many people have made an icon of Jr and see him as being favored by fans and media alike among all the drivers and exempt from any sort of reprimand and/or punishment.  Too bad they think this way.  Also keep in mind that on polls most people vote their heart, not their logic and also in other sports people tend to think all calls against their team or player is wrong because they cannot be objective.  Just human nature to think this way.  Same thing....
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 12:41:33 PM »

Here's Ben Blake's take on the whole deal.  While I don't generally agree with Blake's opinions on Pit Bull most of the time, he's come up with a couple of good aritlces lately.  Some may not agree with this one, but I think he really hit the nail on the head.  I know I can be a potty mouth with my friends, but I know those words are definitely not appropriate around some people or in professional situations:

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/13279/

Cheryl
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 01:33:14 AM »

Beautiful!!  Love the article, Cheryl.

I, for once, am not leaning one way and the other.  There really is only one way to lean here--the penalty fit the crime.

Yes, Jr was excited!!  Yes, I love to see the guys full of emotion and excitement.  And ok, he got caught up in the moment.....

But you just don't say S@#$ on TV right now.  You just don't.  Since the other drivers all got fined, Jr should have been too.  I know I swallowed hard when I heard it come out of his mouth.  It didn't offend me, but I knew what was coming.  And I even found myself thinking that I would be extremely peeved if it didn't come.

Although I DO NOT agree that the drivers should be fined for these minor words, come on, has anyone watched NYPD Blue or turned on the radio to hear the words b%^&# or s$%^ or occasionally even the f-word in a lot of today's songs?  Sure, the f-word they bleep, but you hear "F-bleep-uck", so it is still pretty apparent what they are saying.  

But since they have decided to fine and dock drivers already, Jr's penalty was a no-brainer.

Staci
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 01:39:56 AM »

Quote from: "marrtinigirl"
...or turned on the radio to hear the words b%^&# or s$%^ or occasionally even the f-word in a lot of today's songs?  Sure, the f-word they bleep, but you hear "F-bleep-uck", so it is still pretty apparent what they are saying.  

No, I've never heard those words in a song on any stations I listen to.   :wink:

But I did hear a great new country song called "How do you kiss the mouth that has been chewing your ass all day long?"   :lol:  :lol:  :lol: But it was on XM and the song actually has a line "I shouldn't say it, but the radio won't play it" which is the true about most traditional country these days.  

I, of course, immediately bought the CD.  Guess we just listen to different types of music.   :wink: By the way it was by Vince Gill and Rodney Crowell in a group they pulled together for this album called  "the Notorius Cherry Bombs."  Great album if you lean that way.   Country, that is...

Cheryl
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 01:43:50 AM »

Ah, I listen to all sorts of music, country being one of them, and you are right, they don't tend to say those words....

But the pop stations are loaded with the s and b words, and the (what they are calling) rock stations are the ones guilty of the f word.  A few years ago, Meredith Brooks had a song that got major radio play and it was called "Bi---" and the whole chorus was "I'm a bi---" and NO ONE bleeped it.  And lots of pop songs are dropping the s word.  I don't get offended, but I have to wonder, what is the difference?

Staci
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 04:05:25 PM »

As expected, the Earnhardt Jr. affair has gotten NASCAR more mainstream attention than usual.  An example is this article by USA Today columnist Jon Saraceno:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/saraceno/2004-10-07-saraceno_x.html

Christine Brennan also wrote about the controversy yesterday in the same newspaper.  That column is no longer online, but Brennan wrote that NASCAR won the respect of mothers by taking this action.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 04:41:29 PM »

Who was it who once said something like "much ado about nothing" ?? :lol:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 01:34:43 AM »

Nascar won the respect of mothers what a joke.

I think i,ve heard the song someone mentioned on here. I think i heard a small part of it on a commercial the song that has the b word in it that someone mentioned.

Most songs that have the f word in it are what those heavy metal music and rap i don,t consider rap music i consider rap to be trash.

But everybody has an opinion.

I hate that type of music to me rap is not music. Too me rap is garbage.

But everybody has their own opinion.

Someone mentioned tv show that have foul language in it the shield is 1 that does that,s on fx.

Their,s another 1 on fx that does i think the name of it is niptuck.

I sometimes watch the shield.

i don,t care too much for niptuck it kinda grosses me out.

I never cared too much for nypd blue though.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 01:36:02 AM »

$10,000 DOLLARS Probably ain,t even pocket change to dale jr.
sally
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 02:04:30 AM »

I once heard a suggeestion (wish I could remember where) that the best way to 'fine' drivers is to hit them where it hurts.  The idea was the punishment would be that the driver would have to stay at the track signing autographs until the parking lot emptied, theu making them sacrifice...TIME.  I thought it sounded lovely.  Much better than taking points for something that didn't happen on the track.

Sally
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: