November 25, 2017, 12:54:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How TV is Affecting the Sport  (Read 1170 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 01, 2004, 01:02:06 PM »

Some REALLY excellent points in this article by Mike Mulhern about how TV is controlling the sport.  Particularly good quotes from Geoff Smith of Roush racing:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031778270245&path=%21sports&s=1037645509200

Cheryl
alfers
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 01:35:30 PM »

I just read that article to come back here and post it.
A VERY good article that is 100% IMO.
I still say, NASCAR didn't expect immediate results this year and is looking to the coming years instead.  I truly believe the fans will be back after they find the urge to fulfill the need for speed.
sally
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 12:07:52 AM »

I hate to disagree, but I think Brian France expected results immediately.  It was certainly how he sounded when he was flaking this thing during the first half of the season.  As long as the TV numbers were good, Nascar was  trumpeting them ad nauseum.  There has been a deafening silence lately.  Since He is incapable of admitting that he may have miscalculated slightly, he has already laid the groundwork for the "3 year plan". saying that results wouldn't show until then.  A VERY different tune than he was singing 9 months ago.  

The numbers that Nascar is gettin are, in general, about the same as they have been getting all along.  In other words, the "growth" that Nascar anticipated hasn't happened.  What it seems to tell us is that there is a hard core of people that watch racing.  There are unlikely to be large throngs of new people that will tune in, crapshoot or not.

Sally

By the way, welcome.  Please don't take what I'm saying personally...I love  good debate!
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 01:30:34 AM »

I love the part of the article where it says that Geoff Smith is saying "Nascar and the networks might be focusing too much attention on a few selected drivers"  MIGHT?Huh??

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
sally
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 03:30:44 AM »

Of course, Jack Roush has 3 of The Chosen, and 3 other drivers in his stable to help them out ( Talladega, here they come!), so at least 33.3% of that attention is on drivers from Roush.  But it is an incredibly stupid thing to say, isn't it?
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 03:44:33 AM »

Way too many "extended" teammates entered in this race for my taste.  Craven in a Gibbs car, Hermie in a Yates car (great qualifying run though), Kerry E. and Kenny Wallace, probably more I can't think of right now.  

Great runs for Nemechek and Riggs in qualifying though.  Guess they didn't get the memo that they weren't suppose to steal the thunder from the chosen ones, eh?

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 04:13:44 AM »

Yes, I'm surprised that Nascar didn't find something wrong in post quals inspection.  Doesn't suit the "drama" to have the also rans up front now, does it?

I don't remember so many teams trying to pack the field with drafting partners until recently.  Do you think this was caused by the DEI boys working so well together (usually), or the multi-multi car teams from Roush and Hendricks?  I wonder if anyone will draft with Robby Gordon?  Or if he has specific instructions to help Kevin, period!
Sally
alfers
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 01:20:35 PM »

Getting off topic here with the multi teams entering drafting partners but I'll wade in here.  
In recent races at the "freight train" tracks, the Chevys have worked together so long it's no wonder they dominate the races.  That old Childress/DEI  offseasson contract to work on restrictor tracks has paid off for years and will remain for years to come.  Ford's problem isn't so much a lack of horsepower on restrictor tracks as much as it is a lack of team work.  Kurt Busch pretty much summed it up at Daytona when he was chomping at the bit to draft with Junior.  Fords are notorious for hanging each other out to dry at the plate races.  When JGR racing switched to Chevy from Pontiac, it became less of a stand out for Stewart to become Junior's best buddy, (ignoring Mikey for the moment).  
As for the inclusion of drivers for this particular race, it is quite obvious this is a drafting partner scenario being set up.  At the same time, perhaps a few of them are to drop out of the race to ensure finishes that won't be too bad for those remaining in the race.  This ploy was accomplished with great results in years past during a tight points race.  And I'd look for it to play out even bigger the closer we get to Homestead.  
The "chosen", as they've been called here, are pretty much just riding around trying to get a finish.  The real "racing" should happen from those outside the top ten.  I find it humorous when the "chosen" chastise the "also rans" for actually racing each week.  It'll be interesting to see the television coverage of a race winner should it be a not Chase Contender.  (See, I managed to get it back on topic)  
 :lol:
sally
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 05:45:34 PM »

Well done, alfers!  Got right back where you wanted to be!  I wondered about the "drop out" rate if the extra cars, too.  Good point.  With the new aero rules, it really does come down to drafting partners, doesn't it?

Sally
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 06:02:22 AM »

It,s ashame how tv and money have really affected nascar both are largely to blame for what,s happened to nascar as well as the chase.

I think nbc and tnt were the ones who wanted this playoff chase whatever it,s called and we know who else wanted the chase.

Brian france. Wasn,t brian france the 1 who thought up the chase wasn,t he the creative genius?

Or did he have some help from the networks?
alfers
Veteran

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 02:52:21 PM »

This was purely an NBC/TNT fulfillment.  FOX does not benefit from the new system in the least.  As a matter of fact, ponder this point:
During "bottle gate" drivers and teams were being penalized for sweeping those roof bottles off because the bottle on the roof was from a NASCAR sponsor and the driver had a competing sponsor.  NASCAR claimed the driver's actions were detremental to racing.  
Think about this new plan, FOX puts up all of the money for the first half of the season so they can broadcast racing, versus TNT and NBC who share the second half of the season.  NASCAR gets the nudge to prop up the Fall "ratings" from NBC.  Nothing was being done to improve "racing" but plenty was being done to increase ratings.  
Under NASCAR's new plan, they are trying to bolster the television office and attract viewers away from football.  What many seem to forget is, half of the football contract is owned by FOX.  So NASCAR's new "Chase" is detremental to FOX's ratings!
sally
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 05:28:21 PM »

Until or unless Nascar's ratings improve, nothing is going to put football ratings in jeopardy.  That's why Fox doesn't really care about the crapshoot.  It hasn't done anything to help ratings so far.

I do predict, however, that the ratings will be up for Talladega.  With NBC  promoting the race with all the spectacular crashes,  they should get a boost rom the people who like to see cars wrecking.  Last year, 'Dega got a 5.5 rating on NBC.  Let's see how it does this year.

Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: