November 19, 2017, 10:41:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. St. Helens  (Read 1337 times)
Vivian
« on: September 30, 2004, 05:54:56 PM »

has been upgraded from 2 to 3 so they are thinking it might blow.  My Granddaughter-in-law  is visiting her parents up in WA and is hoping it won't be happening.  She is due to take a train on Saturday back to Reno where she lives.  She sent me a link to check things out and it does not look too good right now.  Keep all the people up there in your thoughts,please.  Thanks.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

You can go the above link to check things out.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 05:56:56 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
has been upgraded from 3 to 4 so they are thinking it might blow.  My Granddaughter-in-law  is visiting her parents up in WA and is hoping it won't be happening.  She is due to take a train on Saturday back to Reno where she lives.  She sent me a link to check things out and it does not look too good right now.  Keep all the people up there in your thoughts,please.

Will do, Vivian!  I just heard about the volcano at lunch when someone was wondering if it is somehow connected to the earthquake on the west coast earlier this week.  I wonder as well...

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 06:06:08 PM »

Cheryl, I just editied this and added a link.  Thought I would let everyone know if they wanted to check it out.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 04:42:36 PM »

The latest report this morning indicated that the next eruption won't be as bad as the one 24 years ago.  That eruption killed 57 people.

What actually happens depends on the direction of the ash.  If it moves upward, I understand, it would drop on top of itself and there will be little damage to the surrounding area.  But if the wind carries the ash sideways, it will go into the area and affect people and property.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 08:39:58 PM »

I saw that on the news today.  It is scary.  It is just a 2 right now which means beware.  It could go off soon or rumble for years.  They are watching and checking it on an ongoing basis and it is amazing how many people are coming in to see what they can see.  So far they have not halted any visitors or traffic.

BTW, Cheryl, it has been rumbling for weeks and no, nothing connected to the earthquake in central CA.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 04:02:38 PM »

It's getting serious now.  Authorities announced evacuations yesterday.  I'm sure they're discouraging sightseers, too.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 02:28:36 PM »

vivian since you live out that way tell me how this is affecting the northwest in terms of safety?
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 08:38:33 PM »

Mt St Helens is north of Portland not too far above the WA state line.  Not sure of the miles from the line.  I am 400 miles from Portland.  I live just above the CA border in Southwestern Oregon.  Probably 550+ miles from the volcano.  So far we have seen nothing.  Since I get my networks out of Denver I don't really get much news out of WA.  I only get what they tell us on CNN or Fox news.  I do some site searching and newspaper browsing but so far it is in a holding state.  May or may not blow soon but lots of rumbles and if it does blow, then it will not be as big as last time.  I did see a picture of the spewing that took place Friday and it was not too comforting.  If I can scrounge up a picture, I will post it.  However, I am not having too much luck on that front.  My Granddaughter-in-law's parents live up north almost into Canada just above Bellingham, WA.  They have some concerns but not overly so.  Most of the ash will head up and east I believe if it does blow.  If I get anything new, I will post it.  Meanwhile I don't really know much other than some evacs taking place near the area.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 03:26:41 PM »

okay vivian just concern okay.
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 08:51:19 PM »

Thanks, Ron, I appreciate that.  Saw on the news earlier that steam was coming out good this morning at 6am.  They are expecting a possible blow and have evacuated a lot of people and stopped the sightseers from getting into the danger zones.  It is scarey and we probably will get some of the ash if it does erupt big.  They said it was going up 10,000 ft yesterday so that means if any ash is falling it is hitting over hundreds of miles away as well as near.  Depends also on the wind flow and strength.  Keep the people that are in possible danger in your thoughts, please.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 08:12:30 PM »

i'm praying that it doesn't blow but i don't know if god is listening to that. Sad  Sad
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 10:07:21 PM »

Good News!  Looks like the old mountain is settling down and will not blow it's stack.  This is the latest report.  Cross your fingers and pray that it if the final one.  They are still monitoring but predictions are it will settle down for now.   Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: