November 24, 2017, 07:25:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bestwick breaks leg, will miss race  (Read 1580 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: September 30, 2004, 07:48:30 PM »

Just saw this article on thatsracin.com.  All I can say is "OUCH!"

"Bestwick breaks leg, will miss race

The Associated Press

NEW YORK - NBC play-by-play announcer Allen Bestwick broke his leg during a hockey game and will miss Sunday's NASCAR race at Talladega Superspeedway.

Pit reporter Bill Weber will replace Bestwick in the booth Sunday, NBC said.

Bestwick broke his leg Wednesday while playing hockey near his Rhode Island home. "

Wonder who will replace Bill on pit road?

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 08:42:47 PM »

I wonder if nbc since jim lampley and al trautwig work for nbc and both have done auto racing before and have worked jim has done both pits and booth.

And al has done all kinds of well things.

I wonder if nbc would consider asking them to go to talladega this sunday i doubt that will happen though.

Didn,t lampley annnounce a few nascar races for abc,s wide world of sports thing back in the 1980,s?

I wonder how long alan will be out of commision because i know at a few racetracks from what i,ve heard at a few racetracks it,s quite a chore getting up to the booth.

Could you imagine climbing a bunch of steps with a broken leg there just ain,t no way besides it would be quite a chore if he did and it would take a long time.

I think weber will do a good job in the booth. I might watch to hear if he does a good job or not.
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 12:30:34 AM »

Well, even though all the broadcasts are now "for entertainment purposes only" imo, I will still miss Alan.   Sad  Sometimes he is the stability that holds the broadcast together.
sally
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 02:18:53 AM »

I do wonder if we will be 'treated' to some of the overblown purple prose that Bill has been guilty of in his pre race show in an effort to put some drama where there has been none?
Sally :roll:
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 02:48:33 AM »

Hi sally what is purple prose? I was curious.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 03:05:59 AM »

Bill weber adding drama to a broadcast i don,t think no one could hype up a broadcast better than paul page though.

He likes to hype up his broadcast and make them sound more dramatic than they really are.

I don,t think weber could outdo page even though from what i,ve heard page has mellowed some over the years.

There,s a name for people who make something sound more exciting or dramatic than something really is those people are called hucksters.

Making something sound more exciting or dramatic than it really is is what hucksters do best.

Which is what a lot of the nascar announcers do these days.

Like i said page probably was 1 of the best at it and if he wanted to and he probably still could outdo any of nascar guys at being a huckster.

Like i said page has mellowed some over the years.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 03:23:02 PM »

all i can say guys is" wow".i will miss alan and i hope he isn't out too long.i will be watching very carefully to see if this affect the broadcast at all.i do agree with vivian that alan is the glue that holds the broadcast together. Sad  Sad
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 04:08:37 PM »

I just read on Jayski that Weber will leave the "wagon" for another desk on top of the press box, where he will do the pre-race show, then move to where Bestwick usually sits.  Weber will not be replaced on pit road.

I think they should have kept the wagon and asked someone like Mark Garrow to call the race.  There also are some people they could have called for pit road duty (e.g. Rick Mast and John Kernan).

Ron mentioned Jim Lampley and Al Trautwig; they aren't really NBC employees except at the Olympics.  Lampley would have been fun, though, because he was born and raised in stock car country (North Carolina).

Also, Bestwick will probably miss Inside Nextel Cup on Monday night.  He might have had a chance if he was injured in North Carolina, but he was hurt in Rhode Island.  You don't want to travel too soon on a broken leg, obviously.

It would be his first miss on that show in the eight years it has been on the air (it was canceled for a year, in 2001).

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 04:22:50 PM »

Jayski also said that Allen is having surgery on the broken leg, so it must've been pretty bad.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 08:35:55 PM »

Hurry back, Alan.  I think we need you.  But I will be openminded about the whole thing.  Wait and see how it goes.  Wally is doing his job better now, too.  So we may be okay.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 06:01:25 AM »

If alan is going to have surgery we may not see him for awhile we may not see him the rest of this year i,m sure we will though.

I wonder if they,ll wheelchair him up to the booth?

If i remember right on 2 or 3 occasions bob jenkins had somebody wheelchair - push him up to the booth to announce races i think 1 time was in 1983? I think that was after the surgery he had for his neck or back?

And the other was in 88 89 or 1990 i think bob had surgery or something for cancer?

I think both times they had somebody push bob in his wheelchair up to the booth so he could announce the races.

I wonder if bestwick will have that done?
sally
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 06:14:18 AM »

I think most of the tracks have elevators now, so that should get Allen at least close to the broadcast booth.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004, 12:23:59 AM »

That includes the new Kansas Speedway (built in 2001), so Bestwick could return next week.

Don't know if Bryan is right and Bob Jenkins has indeed had neck surgery and cancer, but to return so soon after those things shows dedication and inspiration.  Again, Bob, we miss you and need you!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 01:54:23 AM »

Alan picked the wrong week to break his leg. He should have been stuck at home watching lasts weeks race so he could have a chance to see what everyone is complaining about. I think this week NBC did a decent job. Not great, decent.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: