December 15, 2017, 09:22:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Hampshire Ratings  (Read 1279 times)
sally
« on: September 22, 2004, 11:21:45 AM »

Ratings were down 6 % from last year.  The race came in behind the NFL on ESPN, the pre game show on ESPN, Law & Order, Sponge Bob, and the WWE.  I wonder what rationalization Marty Smith and Nascar will use to excuse the ratings drop in spite of the ratings?  About 3 million viewers...where are those 75 million when Nascar needs numbers to pump up contract negotiations?

drpep, you really caught the mood..."Too much chase, not enough race"!

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 01:11:00 PM »

Sally,

I think you got confused and had this listed as "Richmond ratings."  I changed the title.  Hope that is okay.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 11:29:53 PM »

I swear, I'm NOT taking any of Staci's meds, I'm just esaily confused.  Since there was nothing much to distinguish races at either track from each other,  It all ran together.

I read today that the lates rationalization for the drop in ratings (down 8% since the overnights), is hurricane Ivan.  I found that extremely interesting, since Ivan (and all the other hurricanes), have mostly affected the SOUTHEAST!  Isn't that the "oversaturated market" that doesn't support races?  Where were all those millions of west coast fans that are the "new" Nascar?  shouldn't they have been glued to their sets to see how this breath-taking chase would come out?  Where were NY and Lad Vegas, Chicago, KC?  Don't tell me that Nascar is depending on the OLD fans in the southeast to support their racing broadcasts after they pulled races from some of the best tracks  on the circuit?  What's that old phrase about biting the hand that feeds you? :roll:
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 12:54:14 AM »

It will be interesting to see what happens the rest of the year.  I am totally surprised at the number of people I come into contact with who think the season is over and Jeff G is champ.  Even our vendors and delivery persons are all talking football now and the pools.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 12:39:09 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
I swear, I'm NOT taking any of Staci's meds, I'm just esaily confused.  Since there was nothing much to distinguish races at either track from each other,  It all ran together.

Good point!  They are all beginning to feel the same lately.  I can't even remember the last race we had a close finish at this year?  Maybe Rockingham where Kahne was trying to catch Kenseth at the finish line?

Quote from: "sally"
I read today that the lates rationalization for the drop in ratings (down 8% since the overnights), is hurricane Ivan.  I found that extremely interesting, since Ivan (and all the other hurricanes), have mostly affected the SOUTHEAST!  Isn't that the "oversaturated market" that doesn't support races?  Don't tell me that Nascar is depending on the OLD fans in the southeast to support their racing broadcasts after they pulled races from some of the best tracks  on the circuit?  What's that old phrase about biting the hand that feeds you?

Yes, I read that yesterday too and couldn't believe they were mentioning the south.  I thought the southern (and east coast)fans were of no concern to Brian France anymore.  Funny, that they come in handy to justify their "disappointing" ratings.

As to the fans being disenchanted (or downright angry) with the stupid Chase, the Winston Cup Scene is full of letters about that very topic this week.  Also, several saying they consider Gordon the champion of the "real" season.  Wonder what Brian's yes-men are thinking about those vocal MAJORITY of fans?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 01:20:49 PM »

Here's a link to a great article today from Mike Mulhern on this very subject.  Sounds like a lot of defensiveness from the spokesman for TNT and a whole lot of rationalizing.  Anyway we can come up with an acronymn for NASCAR that uses "rationalization" as the last word?   :lol:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031778111768&path=%21sports&s=1037645509200

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 03:56:36 PM »

The headline of the story is about SpongeBob SquarePants beating NASCAR in the ratings, and it should be mentioned that he is the "star" of the Busch Series race on October 14 in Charlotte (Lowe's Motor Speedway).  The race will promote his first feature-length movie.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 12:10:25 AM »

Never Any Shyness Clutching at Any Rationalization?
sally
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 11:48:23 AM »

Ben Blake had this article today

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/13034/

Interesting, since at the beginning of the season he thought the crapshoot was just dandy.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 12:16:44 PM »

Wow!  I generally can't stand Blake on Pit Bull, but he really didn't mince words in this article.  I can't remember what his opinion of the Chase was at the beginning of the season.  I may have to research his past articles (if they are still on-line) to see what he did actually say.  Regardless, he made all the same points I and all other diehard fans have been saying all year.  We liked NASCAR cause it was different from stick and ball sports.  And this coming from a former diehard baseball fan (me).

I particularly like his point about us being hammered by NASCAR commercials during the broadcasts.  Even when there is a commercial with any of my favorite drivers, after the first time, I get real sick of it quickly.  But the ones featuring a certain blue-suited driver in addition to his corporate shilling on TV shows really has burned me out completely.  Again, this from someone who used to be his fan when he was driving a certain yellow car for a now-defunct team.  

Maybe I am just on NASCAR overload these days.  Good thing we're skipping Dover this week and going to Jennerstown instead.   :lol:

Cheryl "who'll take a drive in the PA mountains over that damn Bay Bridge any day"
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 05:06:50 PM »

Like so many things, Cheryl, its not baseball as such, but the people involved. I learned this lesson (again) when a Class A franchise came to town 5 years ago. The Dayton Dragons games are lots of fun. The kids play hard and seem to care about the game and each other, in contrast to the overpaid babies in the Majors. The whole atmosphere is great and relatively affordable. I love it, but I haven't been to a major league game for 14 years and could care less.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 05:16:47 PM »

Good article.  I don't normally read his stuff or watch Pit Bull so don't know how he felt earlier in the season.  

As I said before, Jeff Gordon is my season champion even if I am not a fan of his.  Apparently Blake has already determined that Kurt Busch will be the 10 race champ as he mentioned in his article.  I will just declare whoever wins each race a winner of the race.  That's enough for me.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2004, 04:08:38 PM »

New hampshire was LAME.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: