November 20, 2017, 04:48:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob jenkins  (Read 1142 times)
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« on: September 19, 2004, 06:51:51 PM »

I was curious what people on this message board think of former espn - abc announcer bob jenkins?

Do people love or hate him or are they in between?

And would people like to see him announcing races again in a way i would like to see him announcing again?

I,m not sure i would want to see bob announce nascar again with what nascar has turned into these days though.

If people are wondering what bob,s been up to since he was dropped by abc-espn i think bob has been announcing the public address system at the irl races. Indycar races.

I would like to see bob again on tv.

I was kinda upset when abc espn dropped him.

If bob were to announce  nascar i would like to see him on nbc tnt as fox well uhh you people know what fox does.

I like allen bestwick but He,s not as good as jenkins

He,s not as good as ole bobby boy.

Does anybody agree or disagree with me?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 11:43:42 PM »

I liked Bob Jenkins a lot when ESPN was doing the races.  While I've always heard, NASCAR was not his first love, you really couldn't tell it, by the professionalism he displayed when covering the races.  

But I agree, I don't think he'd want to be a shill for the networks we have doing NASCAR now.  

I like Bestwick a lot, but sometimes he comes off a bit too pompous for me.  

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 12:12:46 AM »

One of the best things about playing the Nascar 2000 on my Playstation is hearing Bob Jenkins "announcing"!  I'd love the have Buddy Baker back, too.  The "ols guard" announcers were really into the RACING, not into promoting "entertainment".  They sure wouldn't fit into things as they are now.

Sally
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 01:41:50 AM »

Ah, yes, Bob.  It took me a long time to get over the loss of Bob when ASSCAR, (Oops, sorry, limited use of the right hand :oops: ) switched networks.  He was quite professional and even though he fumbled a bit, he was still better than what we have now.  I, too, like Allen, but, yeah, sometimes he could do a little better.

Staci
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 01:44:29 AM »

Quote from: "sally"
The "old guard" announcers were really into the RACING, not into promoting "entertainment".  They sure wouldn't fit into things as they are now.

Talk about "entertainment," today before the race, Lou said "when is the television package scheduled to begin?"  It was funny in a way, but then again it wasn't...when you think about the truth to his description.

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 04:05:58 AM »

1 of the people who posted on here called nascar asscar that,s funny. :lol:

Unfortuanately that is really what it has turned into.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 09:28:20 PM »

Bryan,

Bob Jenkins is now the play-by-play announcer for Champ Car racing.  All the races are shown live in high definition on HDNet, and they are also shown on Spike TV, more often than not on tape delay.

The next Champ Car race is Saturday in Las Vegas.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 09:34:57 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Bob Jenkins is now the play-by-play announcer for Champ Car racing.  All the races are shown live in high definition on HDNet, and they are also shown on Spike TV, more often than not on tape delay.

Hmmm...that's an interesting piece of information, Desmond.  Thanks!  I've come across some CART races on HDnet, but never stuck around long enough to notice who were the announcers.  As I've mentioned, I don't find open-wheel racing entertaining; however, I might give it another look if it is HD and has Jenkins as the announcer   :lol:   But basically, there is so little "body" to the cars, the colors are not as bright as stock cars and it seems a waste of high-definition at times.  

HDNet is also showing selected races from Busch North and what used to be Winston West.  Lou and I have caught a couple of them, but they end of being on when we are traveling.  Like this week's Busch North race from Dover on Friday will be on HDnet live, but Lou and I will be in Jennerstown.  

Cheryl
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 04:11:07 AM »

Bob no longer announces champ car - cart he was fired by them because he announced the indy 500 for the public address at the speedway and the guys who ran champ car got upset and fired em.

Not unless they rehired jenkins back in the last few weeks.

Last i knew rick benjamin announced the races for champ car.

I think the only reason jenkins announced champ car was to get a paycheck.

I think he really didn,t care much for champ car his main interest is probably the speedway and the indy 500.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 04:20:56 PM »

Thanks, Champ Car, for treating a class act like Jenkins the way they did! :oops: It's just another example of the mismanagement that led the series to bankruptcy.

This is the same sort of petty behavior kept Paul Tracy from driving for Richard Childress at Infineon Raceway this past June.  Champ Car owners wouldn't allow him to enter that race.  Isn't that the opposite of what racing is about--letting anyone race anything, anytime.

But something tells me NASCAR may go in that direction after Dale Earnhardt, Jr. was burned at Infineon.

Here's hoping Jenkins returns to race coverage on television in some form, soon.  And here's also hoping that NASCAR realizes that motorsports, in all its forms, is one huge community.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: