November 23, 2017, 12:12:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richmond Ratings  (Read 1383 times)
sally
« on: September 14, 2004, 09:34:14 PM »

Just read that Ratings were up 13% for the race Sat.  That sounds huge, until I read farther and saw that it was an increase from 3.4 million viewers last year to 3.8 million viewers.  It doesn't sound as if all the talk and numbers crunching made a huge difference?

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 11:24:16 PM »

I'd be curious to know how many of those viewers tuned in just because the race was broadcast in High Definition on TNT.  Trust me, we HD enthusiasts will watch anything if it's in HD.   :lol:

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 11:40:21 AM »

Just read actual numbers comparison on Jayski...the numbers were up from last year, which were down from 2002.  In reality, Nascar gained 200K viewers over 2002.  Still doesn't sound like the huge ratings Nascar was touting.

Sally
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 03:39:52 PM »

I'm not one of the conspiracy theorists usually, but I was just thinking.....

You know how Nascar has been giving away seats at some tracks to make it look as though they sold out when in reality, they just gave out....

Do you suppose they could fix the ratings, too?  I mean, think about it....There are lots of people under the thumb of Nascar, who could all own multiple TVs and all make sure they are tuned to the race, even if they are not watching them....  And all of those driver mobile homes, they are equipped with tvs, make sure the race is on in there even though the drivers are obviously not watching....And the suites, they have TVs even though the race is going on live below them, are those ratings counted?

Not that I really think this is going on, but, you know, if Nascar wanted to boost the ratings bad enough, they could do it on their own without actually fixing the numbers, they would just have to make sure many many TVs were tuned in, even if no one is there watching them.....

Big brother.....
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 04:01:48 PM »

Quote from: "marrtinigirl"
Do you suppose they could fix the ratings, too?  I mean, think about it....There are lots of people under the thumb of Nascar, who could all own multiple TVs and all make sure they are tuned to the race, even if they are not watching them....  And all of those driver mobile homes, they are equipped with tvs, make sure the race is on in there even though the drivers are obviously not watching....And the suites, they have TVs even though the race is going on live below them, are those ratings counted?

I really hate to burst your bubble, because your theory is quite humorous, Staci.   :lol:   But people MUST be Nielson or Arbitron "families" to have their ratings count.   I've never bought into the fact that the Nielson ratings are truly "representative" of what the population in general is watching, but obviously the networks and advertisers believe it.  So whether you or I or the drivers' TV's are tuned into the races or not, it really doesn't matter unless we have been tapped to be "Neilson Family."  

Cheryl
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 04:29:59 PM »

Oh, but Cheryl, (now you owe me 5 more bucks, see other posting) that just makes it even better!!!  You haven't bursted my bubble at all, you've inflated it!!!!

I bet those Neilsen people are in on it, too.  I mean, really, with all of the gag orders and strong arming that we already know goes on in Nascar, I bet they have found a way to get to the Neilsens, too.  I mean, with 75 MILLION viewers all over the US, Nascar provides a lot of ratings, but with out ratings, no one needs the Neilsens, follow?  I bet Nascar has someone on the inside there, doctoring the numbers, or making sure that the only ratings that are counted are the ones from Nascar people....

I have this whole Godfather thing going on in my head, suddenly Nascar just got more exciting....I wonder who they will get to next....

Of Course I am just kidding, I don't believe all of this stuff, it just seems funner to write about than my usual complaining....

Staci
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 07:35:03 PM »

Here's Mike Mulhern's article from today about NASCAR ratings.  He makes some great points, especially that the only real group going ga-ga over the Chase are the print media.  I also like how he points out that ESPN's Sunday Night Football game smashed the Richmond race in weekend sports ratings.   :lol:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031777975592&path=!sports!autoracing&s=1037645509202

I also find this statement about the California races by NBC executive to be a bit of a rationalization as to why "casual" fans didn't increase the ratings.  They seem to conveniently forget "casual" fans aren't the ones who make traditions:

"With NBC using the Olympics to promote NASCAR, why weren't NASCAR ratings better, particularly for the California 500?  "Our guys were satisfied with the rating in L.A.," Sullivan said. "But habits are hard to change, and maybe the more casual fan wasn't aware it was there.
"So if that can be established as a Labor Day tradition it could become even better. But it was a decent number for us."

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 09:20:56 PM »

I guess you just can't get thru a day without a good rationalization, can you?  At least at Nascar and NBC they can't.  I remember the Piglet predicting ratings of an 8 share or better...and they haven't come close yet!  But no matter what happens, he will declare it a winner, because it makes him look good.  Why doesn't he just go buy himself an NFL team and let racing alone!? :roll:
Sally
sally
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 02:08:10 AM »

I thought this was interesting, and thought some of you might be interested:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031777975592&path=%21sports&s=1037645509200

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/sports/pitstops/09162004.html

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 04:54:48 PM »

Thanks for the links, Sally.  Very interesting.
sally
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 09:10:13 PM »

I've often wondered how, since Nascar insists they have "75 million fans", they can rationalize not getting more than 5 or 6 million of them to tune in to watch a race every weekend?  I'd like to hear that one!
Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2004, 05:01:21 PM »

Maybe NASCAR is counting all the people who have bought drivers' clothes, diecasts etc.

I take the bus to work every day and sometimes I see people with replica bodysuits of Dale Jr., Jeff Gordon, Elliott Sadler etc.  Many of them have never heard of NASCAR and probably bought them either because they look good on them or were on sale at a store.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2004, 07:31:25 PM »

It all goes back to trendy, doesn't it?  How long will Nascar remain trendy?

Ratings IMO have never really been a good source of how things really are.  Is there a master list somewhere of the areas the Nielson people really cover?  I don't know how any of that stuff really works.  I know they can program just about anything, but is everyone covered in the programming?  It totally stumps and mind bogles me.   :?
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2004, 03:09:55 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
I take the bus to work every day and sometimes I see people with replica bodysuits of Dale Jr., Jeff Gordon, Elliott Sadler etc.  

Body suites? What they heck is that? Did I miss another fashion trend? I'm always late with that stuff. Thank goodness I kept my bell-bottoms from a few decades ago, I feel "hip" now.

Lou "thankful that Martin didn't model a body suite" Lauer

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 09:37:13 PM »

Lou,

I don't know if you meant to write "body suites," but I, of course, meant "body suits."

In a related note, I missed Live with Regis & Kelly Thursday, and visited the show's web site in the hopes of finding some pictures, but to no avail.  If anyone has any pictures, please let me know.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: