November 25, 2017, 12:41:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disgusting!  (Read 1276 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: September 16, 2004, 08:01:35 PM »

I had no idea this was going on and at first thought this woman on my other racing list was making this stuff up, but apparently this is true.  NA$CAR really is really trying to turn the drivers into a bunch of poster boys.  The drivers in the Chase "modelled" clothing on some morning talk show today.  Jeez...what is the world coming to?  You would never hear this from me otherwise, but I don't think Dale Earnhardt would've put up with this kind of sissy crap...Here's the description of what happened from the person who watched this fluff show.  I'm glad I have a job if this is what is shown on daytime TV.  Hopefully this will not be shown during the pre-race show on Sunday.  

Cheryl

Kathi wrote:  "Here are the highlights from the show, from my perspective ....

This was a fashion show for the "Top 10 Must Haves for Men for Fall" as
determined by Cargo Magazine.  The runway was painted like a highway with a center line (or maybe a track with one racing line).  They briefly shoed the new Nextel Cup trophy.  Regis was wearing a leather Daytonna jacket.

The guys came out from 10th to 1st place.

Newman
- Regis yelled at him because he did not stop at the start of the runway
and said these drivers don't know how to walk when they get out of their
racecars - modelled the subtle, symmetrical striped shirt -- black or blue
stripe on white shirt

Mayfield
- modelled Argyle sweater, but he just tossed it over his shoulder rather
than wearing it and held it up for the audience to see the sweater

Martin
- modelled the "high end hoodie"

Busch
- modelled suspenders on blue jeans-- fashion is to wear the suspenders
hanging down from your pants rather than up over the shoulders

Sadler
- modelled the "snorkel coat" - a "high end parka" with fur trim on the
hood and a removable liner that doubles as a vest

Kenseth
- modelled the "beanie hat" -- to me it looked like a plaid toque. Kenseth
was asked how he felt and he replied he felt fine until he had to put the
hat on.

Stewart
- modelled the bright orange cashmere sweater.  Kelly ran over to feel the
sweater and declared it was so soft.  Cargo commented a little orange is
very in this year, and Stewart commented "a very little"

Earnhardt Jr
- modelled the two-button suit "with narrow lapels and lower buttons to
make the man look taller and slenderer".  Regis told him he looked sharp
and handsome in the suit -- and I agree.  Noticed that Jr has got a hair
cut very recently.

Johnson
- modelled a velvet blazer in silver gray.  He looked very sharp in this,
but commented, "I never thought I'd be in a velvet jacket!"  Kelly called
to Johnson that she had another surprise for Johnson later --- no
explanation of what that was about.

Gordon
- modelled a white cotton bomber jacket.  Cargo commented that a bomber jacket is "usually in leather ... updated to a lighter color and better fabric".  Maybe I'm showing my age, but I think a bomber jacket would look better in leather than in white cotton.

All the guys came back out on the runway at the end.  And that was it, a
mere 10 minutes, including commercials."
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 09:08:23 PM »

Cheryl, I vaguely remember one of the drivers saying something about doing some modelling in the post race interviews but don't remember who said it.  Now I know what that was all about.  I just figured he meant the usual hat game.  Guess I was wrong.
sally
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 09:32:55 PM »

Golly, and I missed it!  Gee whiz.  That's certainly the way to pique everyone's interest in racing, isn't it?

Can this get any cheezier?  Nascar continues to kiss up to NYC as if that is the only place on earth that counts.  I'm frankly surprised that Brian hasn't tried to book Nascar "entertainment' into Radio City Music Hall yet...for a 10 month run.  That oughta make him happy!
 :roll:
Sally
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 03:24:33 PM »

cheryl i happened to watch that show and think this good for nascar.i don't believe that nascar is painting nyc as the center of the racing universe.i see why nascar is promoting itself very heavily here.like it or not this is were the money is at that's something you will have to get used to.the majority of the future fans of the sport are going to come from here and without adverting dollars from madison ave nascar has no chance of staying as a national sport.
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 03:30:33 PM »

Big shock, but I have to disagree--

Nascar has made it fine as a national sport without prostituting itself in the past.  Modelling on a morning show really isn't the type of things these guys should be doing with their time, and they make plenty of money when they help sell products from people who are actually sponsoring them.  All this does is get them in the spotlight and try to sell them as something they are not.

Yes, we do have to get used to the changes, but sometimes you can still take time to laugh at the joke.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 04:02:47 PM »

Good for Jeremy Mayfield!  Wonder how much trouble he will be in from NASCAR.

Dale and Buddy Wayne, where are you?  Someone who is alive and exists better bring sense back into NASCAR.

P.S. Buddy Wayne would have sold the bomber jacket on eBay for charity, making the best of a bad situation :lol:

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 04:55:39 PM »

martingirl  i don't agree with you i believe these drivers should be free to do what they want with their free time.
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 05:06:17 PM »

To throw a wrench in it, I don't think they did it on their own free time.  They were told to by Nascar.  It is all choreographed for them as far as appearances go until the end of the season.   :roll:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 06:12:51 PM »

I'm sitting here at my desk listening to a listener call-in show on the NASCAR channel on XM.  They also accept emails.  They DJ just read one that was SO true.  A listener suggested that Regis and Kathy Lee should be fined for "actions detrimental to stock car racing" because of what they had the drivers do in that fashion show yesterday.  I couldn't agree more!   :twisted:   When the guy was reading the email, it did make me laugh though...

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 09:02:22 PM »

It's not like Regis is what I would refer to as a high quality program...but it is ENTERTAINMENT.  Which is all that Nascar seems to be about these days.  It does make me wonder just how Nascar managed to get to be this popular back when drivers didn't do fashion shows and hang out in NYC all the time, though.

What is Brian France's fetish about NY?  I've never quite understood this whole NYC thing.  Since the major revenue comes from the TV and sponsors, why does it matter where the races originate?  The races go out all over the country, don't they?  Can someone illuminate this for me?
Sally :?
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2004, 12:05:07 AM »

Trendy, Sally, trendy.  Don't forget the Cosmo article that Staci mentioned.  All the trendy happenings are in NY and LA.   :wink:

Hope you know I am being a  Tongue
sally
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2004, 02:35:28 AM »

Trendy...that's right!  And how quickly do trends change in NYC?

Sally :wink:
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2004, 03:06:10 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
Martin - modelled the "high end hoodie"

Sorry I wasn't able to respond to this post earlier. I got sick when I read the post and it took me a few days to get the keyboard cleaned....

Lou

ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 03:03:59 PM »

also guys remember that nyc is percievied  as the most important city in america for the networks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: