November 23, 2017, 01:54:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Article from Mulhern  (Read 678 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: September 21, 2004, 06:27:00 PM »

About the TV contract for NASCAR and the NFL:

"NASCAR bosses waiting for NFL to make first move in TV shuffle

It's NASCAR versus the NFL this fall. That's partly the reason for NASCAR's new championship system - that, and to generate some better ad sales for NBC and TNT, and to give NASCAR's TV contract negotiators some selling points when it comes time to sit down at the bargaining table for a new contract.

The NFL contract ($17.6 billion over eight years) expires at the end of the 2005 season, and the jockeying has already begun. NASCAR's contract with NBC expires at the end of 2006 (the Fox contract runs another two years), so NASCAR executives are waiting to see who does what with the NFL.

Most observers believe that NBC would like to regain a piece of the NFL. The network got NASCAR after it gave up the NFL as too expensive, but the NFL is still the biggest sports marketing tool on the air.

However, for NBC to get back the NFL, ABC-ESPN would probably have to get out and open that slot. Yes, Monday Night Football is a big money loser ($250 million a year, according to one account), and its audience is off. But CBS regretted giving up the NFL, because it then lost a lot of stations in key markets to upstart Fox, and NBC has also regretted giving up the NFL. So ABC executives might well decide not to give up the NFL, particularly since the NFL is quite important to its ESPN-cable division."

Cheryl
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 07:13:07 PM »

Wouldn't it be REALLY interesting if NBC got the NFL and Fox was running the C4C against it next year?  Well, not next year, but 2006.  I am tired, I am trying to make sense.

Ok, I have got it!!  NBC would have both the NFL and the C4C (last 10 races) in 2006.  How the heck would that work?  Bet they could do a little bit of shuffling there to make one or the other's ratings a little higher, now, couldn't they?

See, this makes my Godfather scenerio a little more real, doesn't it?  First they took over the Neilsen people, now the NFL....Hmmmm.

Staci
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 09:51:12 PM »

i can tell you right now staci don't expect nascar to havew priority over the nfl because that's not going to happen.the nfl will demand that any head to head battles be decided in it's favor.trust me i know from experience with baseball and the nfl baseball loses every time.
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 05:28:11 AM »

Nah, Ron, I know, it's just nice to dream....If NBC COULD control the ratings, then perhaps we wouldn't have to be jumping through all of these hoops and making changes.  We would just get rid of football coverage all together and then there would be nothing to compete with.....

I'm just kidding, I have nothing against football, I just want my Nascar back.  Or some semblance of the Nascar I fell in love with.

Pipe dreams....

But I still think the Godfather thing is cool...Especially since they are wanting to "take over" NY.....

I need to lay off the drugs.

Staci
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: