November 21, 2017, 10:28:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mixed feelings  (Read 4422 times)
sally
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2004, 08:44:51 PM »

Isn't it interesting that, in a (used to be) sport where the second place car was usually described as the "first loser", we are now being asked to get excited about the 10th loser?
Sally :?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2004, 04:46:53 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Isn't it interesting that, in a (used to be) sport where the second place car was usually described as the "first loser", we are now being asked to get excited about the 10th loser?
Sally :?

Ah, but they don't want any of the "kids" to feel like failures anymore, so I guess that is where all this touchy feely stuff came from.

Cheryl
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2004, 05:37:28 PM »

Yeah, but unfortunately, in order for there to be a winner, there also must be losers.  Just the way it goes.  If they don't want anyone to lose, what's the point?  

Here's a side note, since we have play-offs now, will we start having exhibition races before the season starts?  Oh, wait, what was I thinking?  I guess we just watched 26 of them, didn't we?

Staci
sally
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2004, 11:03:30 PM »

Let's all start the cheer now...

"WE'RE # 11!  WE'RE # 11..."

If I have one more Nascar tout tell me how "important" 11th place is now, I think I'm going to toss my cookies.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2004, 11:50:48 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Let's all start the cheer now...

"WE'RE # 11!  WE'RE # 11..."

If I have one more Nascar tout tell me how "important" 11th place is now, I think I'm going to toss my cookies.

Haha!  That's a good one, Sally!  Now you all know I was definitely NOT defending that touchy feeling stuff we have these days, right?  I was being sarcastic.  Anyone who knows me well, knows I'm definitely not into that kind of thing.  I even bought a T-shirt a few years ago that says "second place is the first loser" and I still live by that motto.  

As to tossing things...well, at the risk of posting in the wrong thread, I just can't resist that one:  I was ready to toss something at the TV today when TNT was endlessly at commercial in the middle of the race.  Jeesh, if I wasn't trying to do a review, I would've just switched over and kept it on MRN.

Okay, Obligatory "race talk" remark:  It sure wasn't much of a race IMHO, but then NH never is.  I just cringed when Benny said "we might actually get two grooves later today..."  Jeesh!  I'm betting there are two real nice grooves down at North Wilkesboro (which used to be the race on this date).  

Oh yeah, Robby Gordon ought to be parked for the rest of the season IMHO.  Not just cause he took Jeremy and Tony out, just for general principles cause he's always been a menace and always will be a menace on the track.  Apologies in advance to anyone here who likes him, but he really comes across as an idiot at times.  I have to agree with the boys in the booth that if he wanted to get even with Biffle, fine, but don't do it when he racing around other cars.  

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2004, 12:09:00 AM »

Cheryl, if the race was the typical, boring NH race, did Robby at least make things exciting?  It sounds as if this made my point about the "not a playoff" thing...when the NFL allows all 36(?) teams to participate in the Super Bowl, then Nascar can say they have a not a playoff just like football.  That's just one reason why this "let's pretend"  10 race stuff is full of...well, you know.

Sally :wink:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: