November 22, 2017, 10:03:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mixed feelings  (Read 4426 times)
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2004, 03:17:43 PM »

John said:

Oh, yeah, I didn't see the post race interviews because, the race was on TNT and we don't get TNT in Canada. So on TSN, the first break after the end of the race, they ended the broadcast. No interviews except Jeremy, Jamie, Bobby and Dale. Thats it! This week's race will be shown at 7PM for 2 1/2 hours!! I get to see if live if it dosen't rain

I hear you loud and clear John.. Same problem here.. TNT and FX is a joke!  So sick of having to watch TSN's and Sportsnet's coverage of the broadcasts..  All butchered up with none of the promos appearing on the screen..  Not even the Coke family of drivers graphics get shown unless it's on NBC or FOX..  To me what's annoying is you "hear" all the sounds like the graphics are appearing but they switch to a "from the sky" view or something of the speedway..  Ugh..  What can we do though??  Can't get FX or TNT here.. But we do get TBS!  YAY!   :x
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2004, 01:52:01 AM »

Another Canadian!  How are ya!

This Sunday's race from NH is being tape delayed until 6 or 7PM for 2.5 hours on TSN.  I'm not too broken hearted about it because we'll be there in NH to watch the race.  But I wanted to come home and watch the race to see how different it seems on TV compared to actually being there.

I wish Sportsnet had more races because I found they do a better job with the races than TSN.  I only wish when this new TV package came along that Turner had stuck with TBS rather than TNT, then we would be all set.

Don't you love the Cingular trivia question.  Allen reads the question but not the answers, so we have no idea what they are talking about because it doesn't show up on the screen!  Then, when they are done, the ticker comes back on at the top of the screen.  Is TSN afraid that Cingular is going to come to Canada and compete with Bell!

Did you read that article from the Chatham Daily News?  It is well worth the read.

Thanks for posting, finally somebody who knows my pain! :lol:

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2004, 04:09:02 PM »

Hey John!  I am fine!  You?

I wasted lots of time and effort emailing TSN about the poor coverage and the "BANG"-gone approach they take at the end of the races but they never even responded.  I was very polite!  Half their races this year they covered, they cut off without us even seeing the final finishing order!  Just to put on Sportscentre..  WOW, can't miss that recap show that plays on reply all morning long!  LOL  You can almost hear it each time the race is ending each TSN covered race.  Allen says "We will be back with the finishing order and the victory lane celebrations after this".  You know what's coming next..  "BA BA BA, BA BA BA..    SPORTSCENTRE!"   GONE..  Thank goodness for the Internet!

I too think Sportsnet does a better job..  Although I still hear that music of theirs complete with the spinning logo in my head in my nightmares (the one that plays when they are trying to fill the gap before the coverage starts again after a commercial)...  :-)

You're going to the NH race eh?  Cool!  Only been to one race so far. Charlotte in 2001..  Have a great time!

I was hoping so bad that the races would be moved to TBS which we all get but no dice.. I even called Expressvu and BEGGED them to get TNT or FX..  They said it was up to the CRTC and we know we aren't going to get anywhere with those guys!

I hate the Cingular things too when we can't see the graphic.. Especially when Allen says "And there you have it!  35%".  HAVE WHAT?   I just think they aren't paying to advertise in Canada during that broadcast so they blank all the sponsors out.. The funny part is that even the sponsors in the top left of the screen get blocked. Used to be just the big NASCAR logo.  Now it's the Nextel Cup logo and the NASCAR lettering..

No, I missed the article in the Chatham news!  When was it?
Vivian
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2004, 04:59:00 PM »

John, have a great and safe trip this weekend.  Enjoy the race and be sure to tell us about your trip.

Been meaning to ask either or both of you - do you get Speed TV up there?  I am assuming you do.  Also, do you have regular cable or do you have something like Dish or Direct TV?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2004, 05:02:17 PM »

Craig,

I'm curious to know what will be on TSN instead of racing Sunday afternoon.  My guess is either the NFL or Ryder Cup golf.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2004, 08:43:21 PM »

Thanks Vivian.  I've been keeping track of the weather all week and I just told Tammy that there is 0% chance of showers on Sunday.  I had to tie bricks to her feet she was jumping around so much.

Personally, I have the Bell ExpressVu satellite system which has Speed TV (thank goodness).  There is also Star Choice satellite, but I've never watched it, so I can't say how good it is.  As far as cable goes here in the east it is mainly Rogers Cable and Rogers Digital Cable.  I think Speed is on the Digital, but I'm not sure.  What is in Ontario and west, derbyit857 can probably fill you in.

Desmond, the Ryder Cup will be on TSN.  Like that couldn't be hacked up into an hour show without missing anything.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2004, 12:26:47 AM »

I know I'm breaking my "thread subject" rules, but I want to make sure John sees this before he leaves.  I posted under chit-chat as well.

John,

I hope I haven't waited too long to get these for you.  Hope you haven't left for NH yet.  Here are two frequencies that Lou and I used for TNT at Richmond:

One has the "producer" talk and on one it is cut out.  Hope these are useful to you this weekend.  Have a good time at the races!

Cheryl
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2004, 01:08:41 AM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"
I know I'm breaking my "thread subject" rules, but I want to make sure John sees this before he leaves.  I posted under chit-chat as well.

Cheryl

I appreciate your help.  You are a woman of your word.  Thanks

John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2004, 01:12:00 AM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"
I hate the Cingular things too when we can't see the graphic.. Especially when Allen says "And there you have it!  35%".  HAVE WHAT?   I just think they aren't paying to advertise in Canada during that broadcast so they blank all the sponsors out.. The funny part is that even the sponsors in the top left of the screen get blocked. Used to be just the big NASCAR logo.  Now it's the Nextel Cup logo and the NASCAR lettering..

Yeah, I could live without it since it is just advertising, but to know it's there and not be able to see it kind of reminds me of when I was a child and the grown ups would want to talk about something and spell things out or speak in code.  You knew something was going on but you didn't know what exactly.

John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2004, 01:14:46 AM »

Quote from: "derbyit857"

No, I missed the article in the Chatham news!  When was it?

Here's the link, I hope it still works.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=78016&catname=Local+Sports

If it doesn't, I printed it out.  I could try to e-mail it to you next week.

derbyit857
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2004, 07:49:27 PM »

Here's the TSN Broadcast schedule for Sunday for you Desmond:

1:30 AM UEFA Champions League Highlights
2:00 AM SPORTSCENTRE
3:00 AM Motoring 2004
3:30 AM Motorcycle Experience  
4:00 AM Parts Canada Superbike Championship - Mosport Part II
4:30 AM PINS Bowling Men's 5 Pin
5:30 AM TSN Profile: Jim Nelford
6:00 AM SPORTSCENTRE
7:00 AM SPORTSCENTRE
8:00 AM SPORTSCENTRE
9:00 AM SPORTSCENTRE
10:00 AM ESPN Magazine's Sports Reporters
10:30 AM TSN The Reporters with Dave Hodge
11:00 AM NFL Countdown  
12:00 PM Golf: 2004 Ryder Cup - Day Three
6:00 PM NASCAR: Sylvania 300
8:30 PM NFL: Miami Dolphins @ Cincinnati Bengals  
11:30 PM SPORTSCENTRE

John:
Thanks for the link!  The article was still up and is the best one I've read yet for us Frustrated Canadian NASCAR fans!!!  Have a great trip in NH!  Tell us all about it when you get back!

Vivian:
Yes, we have Speed TV up here..  We do not have Fox Sports Net though.. We have some Fox Sports Net Canada channel which sucks rocks.  None of the U.S. NASCAR specials appear on that useless channel.  I too have Bell Expressvu for my satellite.. Star Choice sucks!  LOL..  Parents have it.. Horrible customer service also!
Vivian
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2004, 08:01:59 PM »

Looks like they scheduled 2.5 hours for the race.  Off the thread a bit, but do you get the NFL pre game show?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2004, 08:07:18 PM »

Craig,

Oh man!  They make you wait until 6:00 for the race and then it is squashed into a 2 1/2 block between football?  

Lou and I met a couple from Canada at Lake Erie Speedway back and June and they had the same horror stories that you and John have about the coverage you guys get.  You're right, it does suck... :evil:

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2004, 09:07:26 PM »

Great way to tap into that HUGE Nascar fan base in Canada, no?

PS

I love the way you guys spell "centre"!
Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2004, 04:52:38 PM »

It was an interesting look at how NASCAR is covered in Canada, but I want to return to the topic.

I have just posted my feelings on the cancellation of qualifying in another thread.  Jamie McMurray must feel the worst about it.  One week after missing the Chase by just 25 points, he had the best of the 16 qualifying times posted Friday.  Of course, all times were eventually wiped out.

Certainly, drivers not in the chase have to find some other reason to carry on from now to the end of the season.  I wonder if they'll really feel happy with a $250,000 "consolation prize."

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: