November 20, 2017, 11:58:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mixed feelings  (Read 4417 times)
Vivian
« on: September 12, 2004, 06:35:03 PM »

After the race last night, I had some very mixed feelings.  Watching the interviews with Bobby Labonte, Kevin Harvick, Kasey Kahne, Dale Jarrett & Jamie McMurray almost made me cry.  It was just the finality of it.  I will try to explain.  My heart was breaking because there is absolutely no way they can advance beyond 11th no matter how many races they now win or how many of the top 10 have dnf's or something else happen that would have in the past made them lose a top 10 position.  

I am not a sponsor but if I were:

1. I would seriously be looking at where my $$$ are now going to be heading and how much tv exposure I will get for them.  

2.Yes, I may win several races but they won't let my car and driver be on stage in New York. I didn't even make 11th because that other driver one position ahead of me in points won one more race than my car & driver.  He will get 11th.

3. Hey, that 8th position person got hurt and can't race the last 4 races.  Gosh, under the old points, I would have made it.  Oops, another driver had a couple of dnf's but he gets to keep 10th even though under the old points he would have dropped back to 12th.

4.Ahh..let's re-negotiate this sponsorship.  Maybe for 26 races and after that we will talk again.  Depends on where we are in points.  I may put out more $$$ or I may not.  This 36 race season may not be cost effective any more.  Think I will look elsewhere to advertise.

Just some things to ponder.  Things like that actually happening are just a supposition in my mind.  Maybe I am being too negative.  Or maybe I am suffering from disillusionment.  Whatever it is has left me feeling sad  Sad
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 05:14:40 PM »

Indeed, Vivian, Internet columnist Patty Kay calls the new points system "The Chase for No Sponsorship." Tongue

You can find her columns at insiderracingnews.com.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Smallblock bored
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 06:46:02 PM »

Many folks at POCONO  were pissed up a bit about the fact NEXTELL  had nothing to offer them. I will miss the fre cigs (i don't smoke but friends liked it ) free cooler bags calenders scedules shirts ect. NEX to nothing had nothing to offer the fans but a glossy sales pitch. I think NEXTELL sucks a sponsor. "I THINK I REMEMBER HEARING SOMETHIN' ABOUT THE FACT THAT NEXTELL HAD A HAND IN THE CHANGING OF THE SYSTEM"
  I think with all the talk of this stupid false economy we live in and the loss of sponsorship from the year past it is only the beginning of a lond downward spiral into of the past where a certain "group" is the contenders and this big ten will be getting old real fast. Remember you heard it heree when I say after next season and at the end of this one,talk will swirl around ditching it. NASCAR will say no.....then bend over with a simple minded spin on things and go back to the old ways.........
 It is still the top "25" that get on stage yes?
 No Vivian ...i'm sorry but I did write with my mouth full so to speak as I failed to read any posts as I hurried up in and out ...Sorry I'm not the type of person that sits there and repeats what someone else says and gives no credit....Ever have to work with this type AAAAHG!!!
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 07:04:04 PM »

i think it's going to a disaster for several big time teams who will lose sponsorships.
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 08:55:57 PM »

How do you people think Childress and Ganassi will handle not having anyone in the top 10 and maybe not even 11th?Huh?
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 09:06:20 PM »

ganissi 's  already said  he's not happy about mcmurray finishing outside the chase.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 09:15:48 PM »

As they say in France "C'est la Vie!" (you can prob. tell I'm not an RCR or Ganassi fan).

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 01:56:47 AM »

There's a lot of "what if's" here.  Especially since the first race of the chase hasn't even started yet.  Personally, I would like to have this discussion at the end of the season, then you don't have to deal with the "what if's".  But since it has started, here are some other things to think of:

- Despite the fact that there could have been 15 drivers in the chase (and believe me, nobody wanted Jarrett and McMurray to get in more than me), the up side to all the attention the last month or so on who was in or out of the chase was that the drivers who had a chance got more exposure because of the chase than they would have last year if they were in the same situation.  Maybe those sponsors would be saying, "Damn, we were this close.  Maybe next year will be our year?!"  You never know.

-  As far as sponsors go, here is a list:  Citgo, Net Zero, Tide, Kodak, Cingular, Cheerios, Kellogg's, Coors Light, Target, Georgia-Pacific, Valvoline, Motorcraft, Napa, CAT; to name a few.  Even though Citgo is no longer with us, all of these sponsors have poured millions into their respective teams over several years.  To think that all of these sponsors thought they had a legitimate shot at the championship is a little hard to believe.  They evaluate the performance of a team over several years.  If they do not perform (as the case with citgo) then they choose not to come back.  Remember the old saying, "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday," not, "Win in November, Sell during the next year."  If that were the case, there would only be 1 sponsored team, that being the defending champion.  Any good exposure is still good exposure, whether it be wins, Top 5's or Top 10's.

- Last year, Kenseth had such a lead on the rest of the field in the championship that most teams were considered not to have a "realistic" chance.  They may have had a "mathematical" chance, but that is just saying you have these many points to lose in so many races before you are officially eliminated.  Therefore, most of the attention was given to Kenseth and everyone else was forgotten.

All I'm saying here folks is don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  This year, the championship is different and it is too soon to tell how it's going to affect things.  I have already spoken to some folks who are getting ready to go to New Hampshire.  They have said that if it weren't for the cutoff for the chase on Saturday night, the race would not have been worth watching.  I know that differs from the opinions here, but there are other opinions out there from those who believe that we still have not come to the end of the world.  Let's take it one day at a time and see how things go; if you want to.  If you don't want to, carry on.  Cheesy

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
sally
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 12:02:19 PM »

John, you're absolutely right that the majority of teams over the years had no realistic chance of winning the championship.  But, they used to be able to count on enough TV exposure to make their sponsorship wothwhile.  Judging by the coverage on Staurday night, the now irrelevant 75% of the field has almost no hope of TV time.  How did you like the post race interviews with Mike Bliss (4th), Carl Edwards (6th), and Mike Wallace(9th)?  These long shots had the best races they've ever had, but were trampled by the herd of reporters anxious to shove a mike in DJ's face.  (Did anyone else catch the opening of SpeedNews on Sun. night and hear DJ's bleeped reaction to the jamup of reporters?  And the expression on Sean Pragano's face?  Priceless).  For the past 6 weeks all we heard about was the 7 teams "on the bubble".  Now it will be the 10 in the crapshoot only.  It gives TV the excuse to ignore 75% of the field instead of the 50% they typically overlook.  I'd be willing to bet that what we get for 10 races is more of that "if the race ended now" scenario for the top 10 only.  NBC and TNT have already shown us how much attention they will pay to anyone who finishes in the top 10 that isn't in the Top 10.

Sorry...I did run on there, didn't I?  And that's before I had my coffee!  Probably a good thing!  I think there are too many flaws in this system.  Giving the race winners 50 more points would have been a dandy way to deal with the "1 win champ", without eliminating all  hope for so many other teams.
Sally
 :roll:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 01:04:50 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
(Did anyone else catch the opening of SpeedNews on Sun. night and hear DJ's bleeped reaction to the jamup of reporters?  And the expression on Sean Pragano's face?  Priceless).

Oh!  I wondered if I was the only one who heard that!  It happened so fast in their "teaser" clips at the beginning of the show, I wasn't sure who said it.  Then they never replayed that bit during the show.  Lou missed it and I never rewound the Tivo to hear it again (assuming it would be replayed during the show).  Glad I wasn't imagining it.   Smiley

I agree with you, Sally, I'm betting the race winners in the next 10 weeks (assuming they are not the annointed few) will get very little coverage.  

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 04:21:22 PM »

Jphn said:

There's a lot of "what if's" here. Especially since the first race of the chase hasn't even started yet. Personally, I would like to have this discussion at the end of the season, then you don't have to deal with the "what if's". But since it has started, here are some other things to think of:

John, no reason we can't have another discussion the end of the year to either praise or not this points issue.  That is what we are all about.  Cool

Like Sally said,

How did you like the post race interviews with Mike Bliss (4th), Carl Edwards (6th), and Mike Wallace(9th)? These long shots had the best races they've ever had, but were trampled by the herd of reporters anxious to shove a mike in DJ's face

This was bad press, imo, and it may happen again in the last 10 races since we know only the 10 running for champ will get most if not all the attention.  BTW, I did watch Wind Tunnel last night and DW complained about TNT not mentioning Bliss, Hamilton Jr and M. Wallace who had great runs on Saturday.  My first thought was, well, FOX doesn't talk about a lot of them either.  So it probably won't make much difference if you are not in the chase or at least trying for 11th.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 05:33:54 PM »

I think John made some good points. I do agree, however, that NBC overdid the "chase" stuff these last few weeks, esp. Saturday at Richmind.
 My main concern was that Mark Martin got in, so that is what I was paying attention to, not the other stuff. I do feel bad for B Lab and Jamie, but they both have next year to shoot for.
It will be fun to go back and look at it after Homestead.
See ya
Cheryl, do I get another little Blue Helmet yet?? :lol:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 05:39:17 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
I think John made some good points. I do agree, however, that NBC overdid the "chase" stuff these last few weeks, esp. Saturday at Richmind.
 My main concern was that Mark Martin got in, so that is what I was paying attention to, not the other stuff. I do feel bad for B Lab and Jamie, but they both have next year to shoot for.
It will be fun to go back and look at it after Homestead.
See ya
Cheryl, do I get another little Blue Helmet yet?? :lol:

It's getting the point, I can't remember all the thresholds for helmets!  But I think if you top 100 posts, you get to be "Wily Veteran."  So keep posting, Dick!   :lol:

Cheryl
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 08:05:16 PM »

I'm not sure how to do mutiple quotes so I'll have to reply in a few different messages.

Quote from: "sally"
How did you like the post race interviews with Mike Bliss (4th), Carl Edwards (6th), and Mike Wallace(9th)?  These long shots had the best races they've ever had, but were trampled by the herd of reporters anxious to shove a mike in DJ's face.  

While I agree that these guys should not have been overlooked, I believe it wasn't the chase's fault that they were, it was TNT's.  Somebody in the control room made a decision to whether they realized it or not, to ignore them.  However, last night on Wind Tunnel, Bill Weber said that they were looked after in their beloved Through The Field.

But where those guys finished has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

I would disagree on the percentage of ignored drivers is higher this year than last year.  What I said above is that the drivers down to 15th got MORE exposure this year than they would have last year, because last year Kenseth had such a lead that they only focused on him and whoever was in 2nd and 3rd.  So if you say 75% of the field got ignored this year, than 95% of the field got ignored last year.  And I'll be darned if Dave Despane didn't say the exact same thing to DW last night.  

As far as the rest of the field goes, if they want exposure, they better get to the front and stay there.

Oh, yeah, I didn't see the post race interviews because, the race was on TNT and we don't get TNT in Canada.  So on TSN, the first break after the end of the race, they ended the broadcast.  No interviews except Jeremy, Jamie, Bobby and Dale.  Thats it!  This week's race will be shown at 7PM for 2 1/2 hours!!  I get to see if live if it dosen't rain.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 08:08:10 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"

John, no reason we can't have another discussion the end of the year to either praise or not this points issue.  That is what we are all about.  Cool

Sounds great, Vivian.  I wish there were a thumbs up icon here.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: